Valve launching Steam Deck - SteamOS Handheld Console

Interessting, i have actually some Steam Games which would be cool Portable: Farming Simulator 2014 (whit Unimog MODs), i got the Gothic Games quite sheap on Steam, some Years ago, and Garrys Mod is also cool to have portable

But this is allready possible whit a GPD WIN 2 (and 1), and they are Clamshell, so Pocket Friendly

Maybe a Comperation whit Nintendo would be a better solution: Just put Steam Games on Switch, ..

Update: It probably does have M.2 2230 but Gabe mentions it's not made for user replacement.
Not sure what that would mean. Maybe it's hard to access so regular users aren't easily able to do this.

GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W

Maybe a custom solution. I'm curious about the gaming power. And what's a "RDNA" GPU? I'm not that familiar with AMD hardware, I know Vega though.
RDNA2 is what they put in PS5 and XSX. Though from the spacing in that quote, it's a little hard to tell if that's what they meant. Anyway, not all RDNA2 is the same. The versions in XSX and PS5 even differ greatly.

@Phlyra

@TeDaDeS

Btw, I'm getting the 64GB model and upgrading the internal storage

unknown-49.png

Post automatically merged:

Screenshot_20210717-132015.png

What I do not like about the Steam Deck is the storage.
512gb is a bad joke.
I put a 2tb SSD into my Win 3.
100gb for each OS and the rest for games.
My 1tb micro SD will be for emulation and roms (Switch and WiiU emulation legally is a thing. I have a first gen Switch).

Why is there not 2 micro SD-slots. That would be acceptable for me.
CoD has 400GB (i don't play that game) and others are also huge.
How can they limit storage?
This will fire back on them in a few years.
There are games, that are really huge, but not everyone. I am pretty sure, that you haven't installed all next-gen titles on your "small" 2tb SSD.
And beware: it's 512GB NVMee, not SSD.
For me, not a problem, because I have 1GBit internet connection: I regulary uninstall and install other games.

Comparing to the Pyra and Pandora, it's in nearly everything better. It looks more professional, quality looks good and hardware is nice.
I can also use it for emulation, but also for high-end games or everything between (like Trine, Wonderboy or anything else).

There are games, that are really huge, but not everyone. I am pretty sure, that you haven't installed all next-gen titles on your "small" 2tb SSD.
And beware: it's 512GB NVMee, not SSD.
For me, not a problem, because I have 1GBit internet connection: I regulary uninstall and install other games.

Comparing to the Pyra and Pandora, it's in nearly everything better. It looks more professional, quality looks good and hardware is nice.
I can also use it for emulation, but also for high-end games or everything between (like Trine, Wonderboy or anything else).
I thought the two higher models carried internal SSD via the NVMe connector? If all models have this connector pre-installed, then why should it be a problem (other than voiding warranty) for the End User to fit a suitable aftermarket memory module themself?

I prefer the idea of the Pyra, simply because it’s got a more portable format, hardware keyboard and LTE modem. If the successor to this Steam Deck has the changes I mentioned in my above post and still supports the End User being able to mod its internals and load different Linux/GNU/BSD OSes then I might consider it superior to the Pyra. Until that point, for me it’s just different and an expense I couldn’t justify atm.

I thought the two higher models carried internal SSD via the NVMe connector? If all models have this connector pre-installed, then why should it be a problem (other than voiding warranty) for the End User to fit a suitable aftermarket memory module themself?

I prefer the idea of the Pyra, simply because it’s got a more portable format, hardware keyboard and LTE modem. If the successor to this Steam Deck has the changes I mentioned in my above post and still supports the End User being able to mod its internals and load different Linux/GNU/BSD OSes then I might consider it superior to the Pyra. Until that point, for me it’s just different and an expense I couldn’t justify atm.
I think these units might be somewhat subsidized and the internal storage is one of the ways they might have thought to retain a bit of their capital.
Promoting to get the cheapest item instead of the one that would make them money wouldn't be a good idea.
I would also assume they left out the connector out of the cheapest model, just to safe a tiny bit of money.

I also have a Nintendo Switch and I like that most of the games are complete on the cartridge. Some of my games are on Steam, but I don't like to have a device directly linked to an online service to work.

It looks quite interesting - I'm not sure I can justify getting it for the moment though. (I'm playing most PC games using my laptop - sometimes hooked up to the TV with Big Picture)
It would be nice to have Steam portably, but currently I'm not really leaving the house so not useful...

The reception to this looks to have been quite positive and I hope that it drives Proton's support, sadly I've already seen 2 hit-piece style articles complaining about titles that proton currently doesn't support, instead of acknowledging that a large part of peoples libraries are already available , Valve are working to close the compatibility gap and in some cases running via proton can out perform Windows...

EDIT: Fixed Pig Picture > Big Picture typo! :D

An interesting thing happened to me... I know a lot of people that are not so tech savvy, but maybe like games, so I told them about this thing, specifying that they had a look at the price !!

The answers I received were unexpected... :

"HA HA, no one will buy that thing at that HUGE price !! Are they crazy ?!"
"What a ugly thing !! Why they don't remove those lateral controllers, so it becomes smaller ? Them are useless if there's the touchscreen. Also damn the price is too high for a thing like that, is it Chinese ?"
"Oh, it must be one of THOSE niche products you like, it wont sell too much... especially at that price !!"
etc... other similar answers...

So, considering only the comments related to the price, because I didn't even wanted to try with the others, I asked why for them the cost was so huge (considering that for me is absolutely obvious that it is underpriced), and compared it to a medium Smartphone, underlining that the device is actually a very powerful PC.

Now these are the main steps of how the conversation evolved :
1) 700 € for a PC is a steal and only crazy people will get it, what do you need a PC for ?
2) 700 € for a Smartphone is normal, or even the base price, everyone just gets it without questions
3) So, at the price for a desktop PC you can actually get a portable one, that indirectly could be the sum of different consoles and offices applications ? And it's also more powerful than the Smartphone ?
4) Well, in the end seems not so overpriced

You mean Atari Lynx. xD

299-2991178_much-is-a-supreme-brick-hd-png-download.png
I wasn't sarcastic, GG was the thing !! Great grab, I could have used it for hours without feeling my hands tired or hurting, them felt almost in their natural position there, bestest display colors for a portable device of the time... it was just draining batteries like a pro !! The TV tuner added that something more that took it apart from "just games".

Atary Lynx was too thin for my taste (like 90% of all the devices around now)... even with the Pandora is difficult to play for too much time without feeling something wrong in the hands, like with most of the small gamepads around... so finally there's something around with BIG laterals grabbing, that is not only a console and has a great display.

Lynx too thin... now I've heard everything! The Lynx was a behemoth, and IIRC ran off 4AA batteries, so I couldn't describe that as thin.

But yeah, this thing is more like the Gamegear or the Nomad than the Lynx. The big thing about the Lynx was it's amibidextrous buttons whereby you could flip the entire console round 180 degrees and have the game buttons on the left and the d-pad on the right (and the software flipped the screen), but this thing is fixed to have the d-pad in the top left and the game buttons top right.

Lynx too thin
I mean the part where you put the hands, not the entire device, while the GameGear has the same size everywhere, the Lynx becomes smaller on the sides.

I didn't know it could have been rotated, that's a pretty neat feature for the time.

Back