Dell Alienware: Concept UFO handheld/portable console (Windows gaming PC)

Want?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Just in case it makes it out of the concept stage (maybe or unlikely?), I thought it totally needed it's own thread/topic ( thanks @JDTAY ) in order to show GPD that a Windows gaming PC without a built-in physical keyboard is something that people were interested in #RIPsmachZ
Not only that, this is coming from a little known company called Dell (along with their subsidiary, Alienware)...You might have heard of them? :p

What we know so far is that it will copy Nintendo Switch with their detachable joycon controller design.
It sports a massive 8" screen (IPS?) @1200p resolution and will have the usual stuff, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (and Thunderbolt?).
It will also have two USB-C ports, but I'm not sure about USB-A or a micro-SD card slot (surely it will?)

If this does indeed, miraculously become reality then Dell/Alienware would have to solve heat/thermal issues, battery life and that silly fucking optical illusion thing they're doing with the screen angle shape/design that's gonna cause me to develop OCD behaviour :(

Dell Alienware: Concept UFO handheld/portable console (Windows gaming PC)

More info will be released in less than 3 hours time @ CES 2020

EDIT: Here it is...

Last edited:
I wonder how this would be usable without a keyboard - this is a PC after all... Maybe a hardware OSD that could be triggered anywhere? That would be cool!

omg! I've been thinking about how to make a portable x86 switch-like console for some time, this is exactly what I need! The unbeatable thing about x86 is the huge library of games I already own and that has been working on the platform for decades.

Why isn't the D-pad in line with the buttoncluster?
If I wanted an elevated knob to play with I'd go analog.
We are going to see laptops with gaming controls on the sides before long, and soon thereafter their exit from the market.

Just checked their keynote. The screen is 10" 1900x1200 and it is using a gen 10 Intel SOC, so the performance should be a bit better than the GPD Win2.
Though this is a complete Switch rip off, so I doubt it will ever be released.

Actually, I've been gaming on a similar setup recently: A 8" 2048x1536 Android tablet + Ipega gamepad for tablets + Streaming of my RTX 2080 desktop PC via Lan / Wifi AC 5Ghz with Moonlight, and I think this is the ultimate handheld experience.
The Win2 is great but not comfortable for a long session or serious gaming compared to the Ipega, and this Alienware looks very similar to the Ipega, though 10" might be too big / heavy compared to my tablet.

It looks really uncomfortable. If it was more like the Smach (not sure how you spell it), with Steam-controller type... erm, controls, I'd be a little more interested.

Although, I agree it will be expensive.

And it's Dell (I'm showing bias here, but I always thought Alienware had cool PCs before they were bought out by Dell).

I just watched that video to figure out what those ugly wires coming from the unit were, before looking at it again and realising they're a cell shaded type of outline of the videomaker's gloved hand, d'oh!

IIRC we took the piss out of the wiz for having four joystick buttons rather than a single rocker with four actuatiors underneath.

this one seems more useful to me:
www.tiny.cc/junglecat

(of course, it's not X64 and underpowered compared to this hh)

I think I might buy one for my phone when it goes on sale.

I'll use this video to have some sleep. |-)

EDIT:
and by the way, if some of my friends will ever get one of these, I will just say to them, as a revenge, "Oh, you have a Nintendo Switch !!", and despite everything they will respond, I will constantly repeat "But, It's the same !! It's a Nintendo-Switch !! It's just a copy of a Nintendo Switch !!" :cool:

Last edited:
looks ugly as sin.
At least it looks better and more polished than everything I've seen from the "Smach Z" so far. ;)
However, the Alienware concept device is way to big (and probably heavy) to be comfortable or handy. Nice concept so far and it's good that companies just tinker on stuff like that from time to time. We need more like this.

For reference, here's how my tablet + ipega thing looks like.

It's perfectly comfortable, light, and PC streaming works great. I also like the screen / resolution, very sharp and 4:3 ratio is perfect for retro games. I can set it to portrait mode too. The downside: PC streaming only works at home :3

Though I really like it!

636.png

At least it looks better and more polished than everything I've seen from the "Smach Z" so far. ;)
However, the Alienware concept device is way to big (and probably heavy) to be comfortable or handy. Nice concept so far and it's good that companies just tinker on stuff like that from time to time. We need more like this.

Everyone is a winner when it is compared against SmachZ :D
For sure finished product with this concept will have insane price tag especially if it has the Alienware brand.

Back