Squidgesnes 0.39

Fez posted on Oct 22 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
To poke and daclassicgamingmaster: Stop quoting each others crap, no one wants to read it.
Who made you a mod? *blinks* I was quoting to put what I was saying into to context. I also wanted to explain to DCGM that I wasn't trying to be a bastard, so doon't step on my toes especially when I'm being quite reasonable...

@DCGM I did read your post, and saw your edit before my previous post.
Now maybe you lot can stop provoking me to wander offtopic >_>
</OFFTOPIC>
Well it seems if Star Fox 2 tries to run... but I just get a black screen... I'm quite pleased with this release Notaz, I can run some stuff at full speed at just 220MHz which is great :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tetris Attack is also the game I like to use for testing purposes, as it's very hardware demanding with its hi-res background images. If you turn them off by switching off the correct BG layer, the game gets near fullspeed with sound and is very playable already :)

"SunSpire"

Awesome improvement Notaz ;) Thank you very much.
I have noticed a 7-8 frames better in general.
Sound is much better and only slow 5 frames the performance in 44hz Estereo.I haven´t noticed difference in perfromance between 8 hz mono and 22hz estereo, son i use always 22hz estreo.

I can´t wait until you enable transparencies :)

¡¡¡Great and incredible work Notaz!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN :)

This emu is always been quite unstable when calling the menu and this release didn't fix the problem. If you call the menu a few times it will surely make the emu crash.
Don't know if it's on your todo list but I wanted to point this out.

Also I've been playing "Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts" with this release, and after returning to the game from the menu (after a save or a load) every now and then the game starts to slow down. When this happens I open the menu and return to the game (no need to do anything) and the game becomes playable again.

For now I only noticed this with this game but it's probably a general issue, I'll test other games and report back.

Draco posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
I see that the battery meter is implemented again, didn't the removal of it speed the emu up?
It is only active in menus, so it does no harm.

joyrider posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
I didn't have transhack enabled doh so it's still not really fullspeed since transparancies don't work or do they work ???

the graphics in the game selection screen are all garbled up but in the rest of the game it's all fine.
sometimes the screen flickers don't know exactly how to explain this
sometimes (very rarely) the game freezes for a second and then goes on
As I wrote in first post, graphics code was not changed.
Games selection screen in mario all-stars works OK for me. Maybe your GP2X can't handle RAM overclock?
I know about that rare flickering and strange freezes, have no idea what causes them (freezes also happen in PicoDrive).

Ryo posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:17 PM said:
This emu is always been quite unstable when calling the menu and this release didn't fix the problem.
Have been working on that this morning. Try 0.391 version.

Notaz, I keep forgetting to ask. Is fast-scrolling for the menu being worked on? I have like 100 roms and it's a pain to click 'down' 50 times or so to get to the rom I want :D

Or am I missing something.... :huh:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
Notaz, I keep forgetting to ask. Is fast-scrolling for the menu being worked on? I have like 100 roms and it's a pain to click 'down' 50 times or so to get to the rom I want :D
Try left/right or the shoulder buttons.

AtracPlayer posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:49 AM said:
Just wondering, but will there be support for BS-X roms?

Unless Notaz broke BS-X functionality when he first started working on the code, it should work fine. I had no problems running BS Zelda and BSZ: Kodai no Sekiban on SquidgeSNES before.

Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 12:01 PM said:
FS0:
With SMK, everything is fine until you start racing, then it goes from 60FPS to an unplayable 30, and that's at 280Mhz. Even no sound makes it slow.

Star Fox goes at about 14FPS with 280Mhz and sound off.

FSAuto:
SMK goes at a playable 20FPS with sound at max quality.

Star Fox runs like shit both with and without sound.

In both Star Foxes, it flickers too, which is rather crap.

What do you and others bitching about superFX games expect? Those games have extra hardware in the carts to emulate. The GP2X has enough trouble emulating a standard SNES. You are lucky they come up at all.

Me, All I hope for is that regular SNES can get to near fullspeed FS1 with no OC and have some sort of transparency hack that works. Personally I would rather Notaz spend the limited time that he has (up to him of course) perfecting regular SNES and not even waste any time with the FX stuff. FX stuff will never be fullspeed on this hardware anyway. I think that is more realistic then hoping for fullspeed FX games. You have thousands of SNES games that don't need FX, enjoy those.

Good work Notaz, This is getting to the point where it is very playable. Thanks.

notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 04:32 PM said:
Games selection screen in mario all-stars works OK for me. Maybe your GP2X can't handle RAM overclock?

hmm weird i tried it with ram timings on and off but it's still garbled up, i tried other versions of the rom but it had the same problem and those other versions don't want to load the games for some reason.

Not a big deal doh just find it weird that it's garbled up with me and someone else here had the problem as well if i'm not mistaken maybe it's due to the versions of the rom don't know :)

BUG:

Super Aleste doesn't work. It has been broke for a few versions now though. It just goes to a screen with the skin on each side but a wide black vertical band in the center where the game should be. There is a 3 pixel wide black bar at the top that just flickers on and off.

Also the sound in Super Castlevania IV is terrible. It is all fluttery, stuttery and distorted. I tried different sound options and it is all pretty bad. It seems worse than before. Maybe there is a setting combo that fixes it?
EDIT: It helps alot if you enable "autoframeskip". Sounds *much* better, actually pretty good.

DaveC posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:01 PM said:
BUG:

Super Aleste doesn't work. It has been broke for a few versions now though. It just goes to a screen with the skin on each side but a wide black vertical band in the center where the game should be. There is a 3 pixel wide black bar at the top that just flickers on and off.

Also the sound in Super Castlevania IV is terrible. It is all fluttery, stuttery and distorted. I tried different sound options and it is all pretty bad. It seems worse than before. Maybe there is a setting combo that fixes it?

Super Aleste (E) seems to be working fine here? also the Jap version was called Space MegaForce that worked previously havent tried it on the latest version.

BUG: Well maybe more of an inconvenience... When you adjust the volume, it blocks out other button presses. e.g. If playing F-Zero holding down X to accelerate, start to turn the volume up, and you craft will slow to a halt.

Back