Squidgesnes 0.39

Sound bug in Super Ghouls n Ghosts:

When you throw weapons it sounds like a "laser" . When you kill a zombie it sounds like they let out a big fart :p

user has been banned for this post...

DaveC posted on Oct 22 2006 at 05:48 PM said:
What do you and others bitching about superFX games expect?
I'm not bitching. Get your thumb out of your ass and realise that people want different things, your opinion is never the only one allowed.

Those games have extra hardware in the carts to emulate.
SuperFX Chip. Good observation, dumbshit.

The GP2X has enough trouble emulating a standard SNES.

You are lucky they come up at all.

Me, All I hope for is that regular SNES can get to near fullspeed FS1 with no OC and have some sort of transparency hack that works. Personally I would rather Notaz spend the limited time that he has (up to him of course) perfecting regular SNES and not even waste any time with the FX stuff. FX stuff will never be fullspeed on this hardware anyway. I think that is more realistic then hoping for fullspeed FX games. You have thousands of SNES games that don't need FX, enjoy those.

I never said I was hoping for fullspeed FX games. I was merely reporting speeds, since my GP2X can clock rather high compared to some units. You're just a troll with nothing better to do than lurk around and jump at the chance of looking superior.

Think about what you're posting. I've made a special checklist for you, and hell, I even filled it in for you!
  • Is my post going to be useless? yes
  • Am I going to look like an idiot? yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark1970 posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
Quite a few of the PAL games I tried seem to be broken with 0.39...
Which ones?

DaveC posted on Oct 22 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
Super Aleste doesn't work.
What is your ROM format?

DaveN posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
[Edit: Is refreshing the archive page every minute]
Not worth it, it's a minor update. Uploaded it anyway

DaveC posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
When you throw weapons it sounds like a "laser" . When you kill a zombie it sounds like they let out a big fart :p
Have you tried changing sound rates? Is there any difference?

WhiteFalcon posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
Is it just me or are .fig files not supported anymore? (at least inside zip files). They just kick me back into the menu after trying to load them.
Probably broke that. What are other formats besides .smc .swc .sfc and .bin ?

Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
[...]
I never said I was hoping for fullspeed FX games. I was merely reporting speeds, since my GP2X can clock rather high compared to some units. You're just a troll with nothing better to do than lurk around and jump at the chance of looking superior.
[...]
Please try to avoid flaming in this thread. You are wasting my time by forcing me read useless stuff.

notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
[...]
[...]
Please try to avoid flaming in this thread. You are wasting my time by forcing me read useless stuff.

Sorry, DaveC makes me mad :angry:

Just tried Contra3, runs full speed with FSAuto with sound at best, although it doesn't actually play sound. It used to fine. That's at 280Mhz.

Super Mario All Stars runs perfect everywhere with best sound @ 280Mhz. Great work :)

Edit: SMAS seems to flick black or something evey now and then very quickly.

notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
Not worth it, it's a minor update. Uploaded it anyway
If this fixes the problems you say it fixes, it's not that minor for me. It's BIG. Those bugs really pissed me off. Expecially when I was going to save the state after killing a boss and the emu crashed.

I've made a folder on my SD card and placed the new Squidgesnes 0.391. I thought that I would try things out before I switch or maybe use both. My Donkey Kong Country won't even boot in 0.391. May have to try another rom dump. I had to wait a little before my intro grafxs showed on Mario All Stars, but everything looks and runs OK. Other than that, everything thing seems to work even better and smoother than before. Axlay is even more playable! Running at 265mhz, full screen, FS:auto, craigx ram timings, 11025hzStereo,
Cybernator, Darius Twin, Cotton 100%, Phalanx, Gokujou Parodius, R-Type III (sweet), Super R-Type, Raiden, Space Megaforce/Super Aleste, Spriggan running 60fps as in 0.38 (at 260mhz in 0.38) and all the Mario stuff runs fast. Earthbound is perfect! Love shooters and I see no problem with the stuff that I am running. Gokujou Parodius sound is a whole lot better! I consider everything, that I am playing, perfect at this point! Whenever transparencies are supported, I will be dancing in the streets. :D

The only big problem I foresee right now is if you keep this up I will have to go out and buy another SD card and dedicate it to running SNES! :rolleyes:

I was playing through the first level of Yoshi's Island (J version), it is very choppy and slow. Got a little case of motion sickness and quit. If I boost the cpu speed it might get a little better but, I don't expect much more at this time. Was also going through the training part of StarFox! :eek:

edit: DKC works using a different rom. Turned out my other one was a FIG file. F-Zero works like a dream!

Mark1970 posted on Oct 22 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
Quite a few of the PAL games I tried seem to be broken with 0.39...

Firmware 2.1.0.

Version 0.39
Use full screen scaling
Frameskip Auto
Clockspeed 200
craigix RAM timings
Gamma correction 100
Audio processor enable
16000Hz stereo
audio performance hack
absolute rom dir
snes action buttons

Black screen:
Bio metal (2Unlimited PAL version) - doesn't work
Chaos Engine (PAL) - doesn't work
Cybernator (PAL) - doesn't work
Ghoul Patrol (PAL) - doesn't work

Works:
Gods (PAL) - Works!
PinBall Dreams (PAL) - works!
Rtype III (PAL) - works
Super RType (PAL) - works
Super Aleste (PAL) - works

And I must stay games that work, REALLY work, even at 200Mhz the speed and smoothness of gameplay is amazing. Snes emulation really is becoming a very high standard on the gp2x!

Hope this helps a little ;)

jbrodack posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
any plans to emulate sa-1 chip which as reported super mario rpg uses but also kirby super star and kirby dream land 3?

TODO / problems to fix:
Super mario RPG: needs SA-1 emulation, which is now broken
[ http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=466181 ]

You could read the first post at least...

Let us kill yourselves! :D

Ah, BUG

Some broken graphics in the Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) intro, but i Seiken Densetsu 3 works great now :)

notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 07:23 PM said:
What is your ROM format?

Have you tried changing sound rates? Is there any difference?

The format for Aleste was .smc It worked a few versions back I think it broke back when someone else was working on it (nothing you did). I will just try a different ROM. Frogger on Genesis was kind of similar. It worked then broke. I tried a few different ROM versions and one of them worked.

I tried 22khz, and 44 khz stereo both were the same. The music was perfectly fine just some of the SFX sound weird. Does yours do it? maybe it is just finicky with my particular ROM?

DaveC: Overdose

You're both fucking up a thread about a super nintendo emulator for the gp2x. Why? It's something this whole community wants, and it's finally being worked on. Grow up, there isn't a need to resort to childish "fuck you you moron!!" comments here. Go through PMs if you hate each other ;)

Mark1970 posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:43 PM said:
[...]
audio performance hack
[...]
Turn off that hack. It breaks compatibility

Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
Just tried Contra3, runs full speed with FSAuto with sound at best, although it doesn't actually play sound. It used to fine. That's at 280Mhz.
Might be the hack's fault too. Always try to disable hack (and reset game) before reporting.

jbrodack posted on Oct 22 2006 at 11:32 PM said:
any plans to emulate sa-1 chip which as reported super mario rpg uses but also kirby super star and kirby dream land 3?
Lots of plans but not much time.

just to throw in a thumbs up for all the work being done on this - is very much appreciated from me at least!

Back