Squidgesnes 0.39

About the TODO list:
-Dont worry about the Tecmo III helmets problem. I played the game with ZSNES and the helmets dont show up at all. It must be a transparency problem. You can remove that one.

-I found a legitimate Tecmo Super Bowl III problem. After the coin toss, the game will freeze at a black screen, but ONLY if sound is disabled. The game plays fine if you enable sound.

-With all these new options, it would be great if you added the option to save settings for individual games. MAMEgp2x and GnGeo2x have this. It would eliminate the hassle of changing the settings when you want to change games.

Thanks notaz, we appreciate the time you are putting in to these emulators

johnz1 posted on Oct 23 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
-I found a legitimate Tecmo Super Bowl III problem. After the coin toss, the game will freeze at a black screen, but ONLY if sound is disabled. The game plays fine if you enable sound.
This means it needs sound chip emulation to work (otherwise it is faked).

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
Alvin posted on Oct 22 2006 at 10:32 PM said:
Just tried Contra3, runs full speed with FSAuto with sound at best, although it doesn't actually play sound. It used to fine. That's at 280Mhz.
Might be the hack's fault too. Always try to disable hack (and reset game) before reporting.

Works! The game slows down a little (VERY little) when you do the explode bomb thing, but only while that's going on, not too much of a problem. Mind you, that move should look like a big flashing (orange? I forget) circle, but it doesn't come up, although it kills stuff none the less. Is that to do with the transparency hack? Again, doesn't bother me, might be useful though.

In SMK, when you change the bottom view to look behind you, people dip into the floor, too. All so very unnoticeable bugs. Enjoy! :)

What is the best setting to have for smooth sound? On Version 0.38 I had very clear smooth sound but now it is rather gargled, I realise that this is because sound quality is no selectable but don't no which option is best...

PokeParadox posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
Just want to add a feature request:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32737

I posted that in the cool ideas thread, and it was with SNES Emulation it applies most for me.
The original Snes9x had IPS support so it can be done. I will need some ips files for testing from you.

Moonchild posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:46 PM said:
What is the best setting to have for smooth sound? On Version 0.38 I had very clear smooth sound but now it is rather gargled, I realise that this is because sound quality is no selectable but don't no which option is best...
Set frameskip to "Auto".

garethp1745 posted on Oct 23 2006 at 02:01 PM said:
Wow Awesome I can play Super mario kart but unfortunatly without sound? Is this a bug?

Gareth

NO, i can play it with sound 22khz estereo at 275 and over 25 average frames.
Thanks Notaz ;)

garethp1745 posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
Wow Awesome I can play Super mario kart but unfortunatly without sound? Is this a bug?

Gareth
Check if it's enabled/muted, and if it's on, toggle the sound hack.

BUG: Actraiser in the new version 0.391 has noise and no music at the beginning logo intro. After you hit start the first note repeats and there's a clicking sound every 2 seconds as well. I don't have the sound hack on either, and changing the sound rate and reseting didn't help.

BUG: Actraiser 2 has no sound at all and when you hit start to go to the title screen it's completely black. It could be because the title uses transparencies, but hitting all the buttons does nothing.

I retested Megaman 7, the graphics corruption is gone. The bug was probably due to the ram timings (but it happened twice in the same level, so i thought it was a bug).

sorry about that.

I just tried 0.391 and the emulator now segfaults when running mario all stars + mario world rom. it does it with all versions that i have tried yet (3 i have a couple more that i can test). It happens when the game selection screen is supposed to come up, so it runs a bit but after pressing start it fades out and then it segfaults

i'm not using the audiohack and i'm also not using the ram timings when this happens.
I'll that i can try out some more versions but the rom that worked in 0.39 now segfaults also in 0.391 don't know what's causing it to segfault doh

update:
The normal mario allstars roms (the ones without super mario world) runs without a problem, and there's also no graphics corruption.
The mario all stars roms with super mario world included all segfaults on the same spot (after the fade out when pressing start)

Firmware 2.0.0.

Version 0.391
Use full screen scaling
Frameskip 0
show fps
Clockspeed 270
craigix RAM timings
Gamma correction 100
Audio processor enable
16000Hz stereo
audio performance hack
snes action buttons
battery warning disabled
no vsync nor transhack
roms are in zip files

"Mostly Fullspeed" means highly playable, most of the times constant 50fps (pal) or 60fps (ntsc), maybe just a *little* less in i.e. battles, menus... since i wont play through every game i wont set a "perfect" mark

Works:
Act Raiser (PAL/German) Mostly Fullspeed
Aladdin (PAL/German) Mostly Fullspeed
Asterix & Obelix (PAL) Mostly Fullspeed
Asterix (PAL) Mostly Fullspeed
Breath Of Fire 2 (NTSC) Mostly Fullspeed (only battles 46/47 FPS)
BS Radical Dreamers (NTSC) Mostly Fullspeed
BZ Mario is missing (pal) Mostly Fullspeed; little gfx bugs (try starting the game; when luigi goes through to a door, you can still see him when he is behind)
BZ Mario's Time Machine (pal) Mostly Fullspeed
Cannon Fodder (pal) Mostly Fullspeed
Chrono Trigger (NTSC) Mostly Fullspeed; only battles @ ~55FPS
DKC (v1.1) Mostly Fullspeed; ingame sometimes slows down to ~30fps
DKC 3 (pal) Mostly Fullspeed; some map scenes slow down to ~30fps; a scene i tested in a 0.38 had constant 50fps; however in 0.391 its 45fps, so a little slowdown here, nothing major though
Drakkhen (pal) Mostly Fullspeed;
F-Zero (pal) Mostly Fullspeed; ingame ~41fps
FF2 (or 5) (ntsc) Mostly Fullspeed
FF3 (or 6) (ntsc) varies ingame; flying ship got ~25fps; flying over map ~39fps; walking there ~59fps; town ~23fps, narshe ~19fps; battles start off with ~26fps, but most of the time ~47fps
Goof Troop (pal) Mostly Fullspeed (i remember this being the first playable game on os9xgp back in the day :ph34r: )
Harvest Moon (pal) Mostly Fullspeed
Illusion of Time (pal) Mostly Fullspeed
Lord of the rings: volume one (pal)Mostly Fullspeed
K.H. Rummenigges Player Manager (pal) Mostly Fullspeed
Kirbys Dream Course (pal) Mostly Fullspeed; menu @ 42fps
Tetris Attack (pal) intro ~32fps, menu ~24fps till you can select 1player game, 2player game... etc then fullspeed, ingame ~19fps

Don't work:
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island - broken? The first time i tried, the emu just crashed. The second and third time, i got stuck at the "attemptin to load rom: [..]"
The ROM works fine in 039 however - just in 0.391 its broken !

I will do more later.

"Super Ghouls n Ghosts: When you throw weapons it sounds like a "laser" ."

This also accures when Frog speaks in Crono Trigger. Sound is still a bit "stuttering" when fps is not @60.

Still: THANK YOU!!!!

notaz posted on Oct 23 2006 at 11:47 AM said:
PokeParadox posted on Oct 23 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
Just want to add a feature request:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32737

I posted that in the cool ideas thread, and it was with SNES Emulation it applies most for me.
The original Snes9x had IPS support so it can be done. I will need some ips files for testing from you.

Well Zophar's Domain still have a page full of hacks and translations

There are many hacks of Super Mario World which are probably the most convenient.

Wow, Notaz, you´re really working on this emu!! I´ve just got a few Problems here:
1.The sound in F-Zero 1 and 2 is really bad. Is it possible to fix that? I tried all kind of settings.
2.When you shoot a powershot in Megaman X1 the sound crackles pretty suspicios. Can you fix it?
3.I can´t get yoshi´s island to work with v0.39, but i heard it works with v0.39. How can i get it to work?
4.How far is the emu from playing starfox 1 + 2, yoshi´s island, Kirby´s Dreamland 3, Kirby Superstar and Super Mario RPG?

I REALLLY appreciate all your hard work on the emulator, it´s unbelievable how much you´ve done in the last days. I also don´t want to sound impolite or anything, i was just wondering, if anyone could answer my questions.

jurassic park works fs with sound at fs1 so its fullspeed for me! thanks! this brings back even more memories from the past... !!!

Most of the games I tested ran pretty well. I've only tried the MMPR game and Ninja Warriors, though. MMPR was running at an average of about 50 FPS(turned on auto-frameskip and didn't even notice the skipping), Ninja Warriors is sadly still at 15-30 FPS, even when I overclock. That game must have something extra about it to run like this through so many performance improvements...

Nonetheless, AMAZING work! At this rate, you could potentially have basic SNES(as in no extra chips in the carts like the one in Star Fox) at fullspeed with sound and no overclocking by the end of the year. Not that I'm saying you have to or anything, just saying you probably could with how well you've managed to improve it so far.

Back