I was able to download Wesnoth 1.8 on my Pandora in about 5 or so minutes on the Midori browser. I also tried a mobile speed test on dslreports.com/stest under mobile browser and it gave back a 10mbit result running off my home network. On a seperate occasion I had no trouble running a internet radio stream at 128kbps. I´d say it runs quite nicely.
Sweet. There are some more dongles with the same chip, even one made by Realtek itself, and they all are compact, so we have some choice here.
Just picked up a Netgear WNA1000M, installed the above driver, and it works! $25 at the local retail store.

Thanks much!

Anything necessary beyond these commands?

sudo mkdir /lib/modules/

sudo cp /where/the/driver/is/8192cu.ko /lib/modules/

sudo depmod

sudo modprobe 8192cu

All commands executed for me ok, but I see no other device in iwconfig, and I bought two of that exact same dongle from Radio Shack. For the record I do already have wifi, just would like to get this dongle working as I have AP's that don't connect very well with the built-in wifi.

Any Hoodoo voodoo or the like would be much appreciated. :)
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Things we would like to know:

- Do you run hotfix6 alpha, beta or whatever?

- Which are excat the same dongles? Netgears WNA1000M?

- Stick the dongle out, open the terminal, stick the dongle in and run dmesg | tail - what would it say?

- What exacly is voodoo for you? For me it's programming in Prolog or writing in Assembler or C, then Windows API and maths/physics of any kind. %)
How could I forget such an important detail!? *slaps self*

Hotfix 6 release candidate.

Yes, the fineprint on both dongles says the model number is "WNA1000M".

Here's a rough dictation of the dmesg | tail output:

usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2

wlan0: detected beacon loss from AP - sending probe request

wl1251: rare event: 00400000

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci-omap and address 3

usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 device

usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0846, idProduct=9041

usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

usb 1-2: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter

usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Realtek

usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Assembler is indeed voodoo to me (I speak Lua, C#, php, etc.). Math and physics, now those are languages I certainly enjoy conversing in every now and then.
Last edited by a moderator:
From what I see, the driver does not kick in here - it should produce some more messages.

Could you please modprobe the driver once again and run dmesg | tail? I wonder if it would complain about unknown symbols.

If not, well, I don't know then... Maybe try toggling wifi off (which would unload the driver for the built-in wifi chip) and try to use the dongle, but that's quite voodooish to me and quite a stupid guess.

Oh, disregard that all! It seems like starting from hf6rc you just don't need to download the driver anymore, it's already included. So several things might stop the dongle from working - the build I've made may be no longer compatible, modprobing the driver might mess things up or both. So try sudo rmmod 8192cu, then delete the file and run depmod again, that would probably fix it. If not, try to reflash to hf6rc, you should have the dongle working out of the box:

* Included drivers for RTL8712/8188/8191/8192SU/8192CU WLAN Sticks. This has been done for the WiFi-Less-Pandoras sold with a WiFi Stick.
^^^ hf6rc release note
I actually did see that release note, which spurred me to try out the new OS and my wifi stick to see what results I could get. It didn't work at the time, so I thought some command-line would be necessary.

Well, I reflashed, inserted the stick, nothing happened. dmesg produced the same messages as before. I waited about a minute or two, then withdrew the stick, put it back in... dmesg coughed up some gobbledy-gook, then I saw "wireless networks available". You were definitely right, it works out of the box.

Now on to work to try this newfound wireless power out. Huzzah!

Thanks man.
No, my poking around is not related to any official Pandora team work, so everyone should stik with them. I've changed the info in the wiki and in my thread, probably should report this one.
Fair enough. Yeah so, it's not quite so plug-and-play as I hoped... actually I switched over to the old wifi just to check, and now I can't get the usb stick active again. I reflashed again but got the same old driver-not-wanting-to-kick-in business... oh well, I got my clarification so if I feel the need I'll open a new thread about it. I wanna t/s first before I ask for help again.
I can't do much here, since I have no working Pandora at the moment. But I'd investigate that with pleasure, my internet connection depends on this. :)