[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

I have a sagam router and am also with sky. My Linux powered EEE PC connects most of the time but on odd occasions it takes a while and a couple of reboots to connect. I am also awaiting the arrival of my Pandora and will no doubt find myself in a similar situation .Hope we can find a solution soon . Good Luck !!

This problem has nothing to do with your Pandora and everything to do with your goofy ISP .. "don't use DNS servers", lol .. thats just ludicrous.

You need a DNS server. Maybe you can just install a local one on your Pandora and be done with it? Is there one in the repo?

I don't remember where I heard this, but doesn't Sky install their own hacked-up firmware on the routers they supply? (Or am I misremembering and just repeating something garbled, here?)

Thanks for replying torpor. My problem is I hardly no anything about linux so I don't know how to install a local one or even get it from the repo. i know I'm a pain and everyone hates noobs but I've waited since the start and the last 2 days should've been amazing but I'm totally depressed about the whole situation, I've got no support from from isp, I can't find anything about how to fix it, the only help I've had is from you guys.

The problem is more likely the router than the Pandora, it might not even be possible to fix in software.
I'd recommend looking for a firmware update for your router.

One solution would be to buy a new router, if you can afford it.
I believe Sky's internet is ADSL, so a modem router would be about £20.

torpor said:
This problem has nothing to do with your Pandora and everything to do with your goofy ISP .. "don't use DNS servers", lol .. thats just ludicrous.

You need a DNS server. Maybe you can just install a local one on your Pandora and be done with it? Is there one in the repo?
I suspect that was to do with an under-trained call centre worker, not actually that they don't use DNS.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no upgrades. I can't use another router coz the router doesn't show the details I'd need to swap it for another one and it's pretty impossible to extract the detail from a sagem router, the netgear one was easy but sky pretty much called these hacker proof. There is a way but the guys killed 2 routers doing it and he knew what he was doing.

I guess the thing about Sky putting their own hacked-up firmware on them wasn't inaccurate after all. :blink:

puppydee, I would suggest seeing if you have a local Linux User's Group. There are generally people there who will help people having all sorts of trouble with Linux. (whether it be the OS itself, or things like routers that are giving them a hard time on Linux) I can't guarantee they can fix your problem, but they might have a better chance at helping you than we do, since they would be able to look at your router and setup in person.

-God Ginrai

Instead of buying another ADSL router you could just add a Wifi access point... well you would still need an access point than work nicely with your router but that could be one solution.

I searched the ubuntu forum and it seems some other people have problem with sky... I couldn't find anything concrete about what was causing this... definitely look like the router has some issue.

It's definitely a shame sky are blocking you from using another router. It seems some people did manage to get something out of sky though...

solitaire @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1041700&highlight=sky

"Technically you can get your Username and Password direct from sky and flash it with the "DGTeam" firmware (google it! ) but it's a fluddy hassle to get the info out of them!"

And you can always post the setting of you router.

EDIT:

You might want to check this out (especially the last post)
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/26185-linux-setup-issue-sagem-wireless.html

It explains how to setup another device as access point. Well configuration might change a little depending on the hardware. If you have some wireless access point / router lying around it might be worth a try.

Like somebody else said it's always easier to troubleshoot those kind of problem on the actual hardware than over the Internet.

Thanks for the info marshal, I've actually got my routers username and password so I think I might swap modems over tomorrow if I buy one. It's worth a try and would atleast pinpoint if it's sky's dodgy firmware on the router or not, it'll cost me a few extra pennies but atleast we'd be able to say if the pandora will run ok on sky with the sagem routers(I can't say about the netgear ones). I debated just selling it but since it's my christmas present from the year before last I can't sell it after a few days and anyway I wouldn't sell it anyway plus I've not even used it properly yet and have only installed 1 game, I've spent the rest of the time on here and google trying to sort the wifi issue out.

I'm gonna look into linking it via my iphone 3gs coz 3g would be even better especially when out and about. It's been a real eye opener so far and I've probably got a few more grey hairs to come but I love my pandora to bits, I'm more pee'd off with myself for not being able to get this up and running and Sky for being a waste of space. Like I've said before thanks for all your comments guys and thanks for putting up with me being a linux noob, I really hate asking for help (I Do) I should have a hot line to OP or my own forum by now, thanks for putting up with me. Tomorrow will be a better day :)

marshal said:
It's a DNS problem. Basicaly your Pandora is connected to the internet but it doesn't know which DNS server to use.
A DNS server is basically a invesed dictionnary that matches URL to IP address.

Usually when you connect to your router it is configured automatically however that does not seem to be the case. There can be compatibility issue between some system and router.

A simple way to fix this is to specify the DNS server manally. Pandora uses "Network Manger" which takes care of all your internet connection needs. You should be able to specify a DNS certain to be used with a specific connection.

What you need to do:

1. Find out your DNS server IP (check your Internet Service provider webpage). Alternatively you can use a 3rd party DNS server such as OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com - DNS Server: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220.
I would recommend you to stick to your ISP dns server unless you have a problem with them.

2. Configure Network Manager. You need to right-click on the Network manager icon, then select "Edit Connection". From there you should be able to configure the DNS server for your connection.

Here is a tutorial on how to set it up. (It's for OpenDNS and Ubuntu but it's the same - just input the DNS server IP you want to use)

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/05/howto-use-opendns-on-ubuntu.html

Hope this help.

EDIT: As expected some other ppl beath me to it. ;)

Did you try the bit at the end of the link above? I had a similar problem to yours quite a while back, and this fixed it for me. You will need to edit the file:

Code:
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

You can probably do this if you type something like:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

at the console. You should see a line in this file that looks like:

Code:
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Change this to:

Code:
prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;

Save the file and reboot. (The IP addresses above are for OpenDNS - If you know the DNS servers for your ISP, you could put those IP addresses here instead.)

Maybe it will work? Perhaps? Possibly? I hope it does. Good luck!

puppydee said:
Thanks for the info marshal, I've actually got my routers username and password so I think I might swap modems over tomorrow if I buy one.

It's not your router's username and password that you need, it's your internet connections which is stored in the routers firmware somewhere. And that is difficult to obtain. Some of the links provided above may help. Otherwise the wireless access point is probably your best solution. I'm loathe to get one myself, as they cost almost as much as a 32Gb SD card!

Oh well I've been debating changing ISPs and cancelling Sky TV for a while now. Trouble is that means changing the phone supplier again. Hmpf, I guess this is a good enough reason to take the plunge.

One thing I have notices is that no matter which address I'm pinging from, I get the response

From 192.168.0.202 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

I don't know if ping reports differently on linux systems, but if I run ping from my Windows box, I get the response from whatever address I pinged.

Pleng said:
One thing I have notices is that no matter which address I'm pinging from, I get the response

From 192.168.0.202 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

I don't know if ping reports differently on linux systems, but if I run ping from my Windows box, I get the response from whatever address I pinged.
Well, it'd be pretty hard for the destination host to send a reply if it's unreachable! ;-)

Heh I just noticed that. Even so, my IP address on Pandora is 192.168.0.4, not 192.168.0.202

manimal said:
marshal said:
It's a DNS problem. Basicaly your Pandora is connected to the internet but it doesn't know which DNS server to use.
A DNS server is basically a invesed dictionnary that matches URL to IP address.

Usually when you connect to your router it is configured automatically however that does not seem to be the case. There can be compatibility issue between some system and router.

A simple way to fix this is to specify the DNS server manally. Pandora uses "Network Manger" which takes care of all your internet connection needs. You should be able to specify a DNS certain to be used with a specific connection.

What you need to do:

1. Find out your DNS server IP (check your Internet Service provider webpage). Alternatively you can use a 3rd party DNS server such as OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com - DNS Server: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220.
I would recommend you to stick to your ISP dns server unless you have a problem with them.

2. Configure Network Manager. You need to right-click on the Network manager icon, then select "Edit Connection". From there you should be able to configure the DNS server for your connection.

Here is a tutorial on how to set it up. (It's for OpenDNS and Ubuntu but it's the same - just input the DNS server IP you want to use)

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/05/howto-use-opendns-on-ubuntu.html

Hope this help.

EDIT: As expected some other ppl beath me to it. ;)

Did you try the bit at the end of the link above? I had a similar problem to yours quite a while back, and this fixed it for me. You will need to edit the file:

Code:
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

You can probably do this if you type something like:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

at the console. You should see a line in this file that looks like:

Code:
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

Change this to:

Code:
prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;

Save the file and reboot. (The IP addresses above are for OpenDNS - If you know the DNS servers for your ISP, you could put those IP addresses here instead.)

Maybe it will work? Perhaps? Possibly? I hope it does. Good luck!

I'll try these out when I get back this afternoon and let you know. Thanks a lot manimal. I know we'll get a solution eventually, it's just finding the right nail to hit, cheers :)

edit: Oh and pleng, it seems a bit drastic to change isp's so early on, like I say I'm sure we'll get a result eventually. I don't want to change from Sky because tbh they're are the best isp I've had so far and besides I've got them for another 8 months anyway, plus I've got Sky tv and the Sky talk package so changing isn't really an easy option.

I'm gonna have a better look into tethering my pandora to my iphone because that is my other option and that will probably be easier although I've never configured it manually before. I'd be stuffed if it wasn't jail broken so it's a good job it is. I still want to get it hooked up to my router though so I'm still looking into both.

SteveM said:
Pleng said:
Heh I just noticed that. Even so, my IP address on Pandora is 192.168.0.4, not 192.168.0.202
And .202 is what? Your default gateway (router) maybe?

No, there is no 202, well not that I am aware of anyway!

My router is 192.168.0.1
My pandora is 192.168.0.4

The 'no response' message is coming from 192.168.0.202

does it happen only pinging remote addresses? Can you try to traceroute address, which you fail to ping?

something bizzare seems to have happened

I attempted to ping 127.0.0.1 and ping just hung completely. no responses and no 'no responses' messages.

I then saw SiNGLerLT's message and tried traceroute on 192.168.0.1 and was suprised to find that I got the following response:

1. www.routerlogin.com(192.168.0.1) 58.594ms 5.310ms 15.747ms

confused, I tried to Ping once more and responses were coming back. I loaded up the web browser and everything is working just fine, for now!

So, puppydee, open a terminal window from the pandora menu and give the following steps a go, though I have no idea why they should have gotten it working(!):

type: ping 127.0.0.1

wait a few seconds, nothing should happen. Hold the right shoulder button and press C

type: traceroute 192.168.0.1
hopefully you should get the response "1. www.routerlogin.com(192.168.0.1)" followed by some numbers

type: ping 192.168.0.1
hopefully you should get a list of response times. If so, again hold the right shoulder button and press C

run your web browser and hope it all works nicely.

good luck.

Back