[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

pinging 127.0.0.1 should be successful (not sure about Pandora's config, maybe lo interface config is broken). And I ment tracerouting remote host (to which ping fails), because 192.168.0.202 might be some host at provider, which is next hop to failed destination. www.routerlogin.com seems to be some DNS or router misconfiguration.
But if you get internet after these steps good for you :)

SiNGLerLT said:
www.routerlogin.com seems to be some DNS or router misconfiguration.
But if you get internet after these steps good for you :)

Well the router provides its own DNS services so it's clearly decided that www.routerlogin.com is a nice name for the control panel. Yup, just checked going to www.routerlogin.com from any device on the network accesses the same control panel as going to 192.168.0.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed it is. And technically it is DNS misconfiguration, because domain www.routerlogin.com is not 192.168.0.1 :)

This is great news I will try it when I get home later, I'll have my fingers and toes crossed. On my other idea, connecting to the web through my iphone sounds quite easy to do, it'll probably be another headache coz things never go easy for me coz I'm mr badluck but in principle it seems easy. Will try them steps you tried Pleng and see if I'm successful. You guys are a real lifesaver :)

Bad news x.x its not just the sky router that's doing this. I'm using a BT Homehub here and I'm getting the same problems. The connection is either really slow and flaky or disconnects or just dosen't connect at all. :-( (I have my pandora :) !)

Don't know if this helps but I've had this sort of problem on a normal desktop PC a long time back with a really old USB wlan stick, a Netgear MA111. Really unstable, disconnected all the time if it worked at all.

ljones

It's a fact that some wifi chips are incompatible with some routers. My gf laptop has a Intel pro-wireless 2200bg and it just refuses to stay connected to my old router, (which never gave me any problems), later i read something about the centrino mumbo jumbo and that specific chip, that the wireless card needed the router to have a special feature for it to function properly, something about roaming and energy saving. It was clearly stated on its support page that it wouldn't work if the router hadn't that feature.
The router itself never had any firmware updates and because i bought a new one i forgot about the subject.

@ljones, heavy RF and EM interference can cause that, are you close to lot's of electric devices? Specially wireless ones

Cordless phones can also use the same frequencies as wireless routers.

nikkopt said:
@ljones, heavy RF and EM interference can cause that, are you close to lot's of electric devices? Specially wireless ones

Just a normal amount really though I tried the pandora close by to the router and then upstairs but the result appeared to be the same x.x .

I'm not sure but I read somewhere my ISP (BT) might be using dynamic DMS and DHCP addressing. Wonder if that could be the problem?

ljones

Nope non of the suggestions work :( Been trying them all again but no joy. I've been looking into just tethering it to my iphone and I've found a vid on youtube that looks easy enough so I'll try that tomorrow coz I'm to tired now so I need some shut eye. Great to here you got it going Pleng so
the pandora does run on sky. What router have you got, a sagem or a Net Gear? I get the feeling you're on Net Gear. Gonna hit the sack I'll check back tomorrow.

puppydee said:
Nope non of the suggestions work :( Been trying them all again but no joy. I've been looking into just tethering it to my iphone and I've found a vid on youtube that looks easy enough so I'll try that tomorrow coz I'm to tired now so I need some shut eye. Great to here you got it going Pleng so
the pandora does run on sky. What router have you got, a sagem or a Net Gear? I get the feeling you're on Net Gear. Gonna hit the sack I'll check back tomorrow.

If you can connect one laptop tru ethernet to your router, then you can use an ad-hoc connection between the laptop and the pandora provisionally. This should work if it is in fact an incompatibility with your router..
Anyway, what's its brand? Is it the Netgear one?

Edit: Disregard my last question, sagem it is :p

Pleng said:
something bizzare seems to have happened

I attempted to ping 127.0.0.1 and ping just hung completely. no responses and no 'no responses' messages.

I then saw SiNGLerLT's message and tried traceroute on 192.168.0.1 and was suprised to find that I got the following response:

1. www.routerlogin.com(192.168.0.1) 58.594ms 5.310ms 15.747ms

confused, I tried to Ping once more and responses were coming back. I loaded up the web browser and everything is working just fine, for now!

So, puppydee, open a terminal window from the pandora menu and give the following steps a go, though I have no idea why they should have gotten it working(!):

type: ping 127.0.0.1

wait a few seconds, nothing should happen. Hold the right shoulder button and press C

type: traceroute 192.168.0.1
hopefully you should get the response "1. www.routerlogin.com(192.168.0.1)" followed by some numbers

type: ping 192.168.0.1
hopefully you should get a list of response times. If so, again hold the right shoulder button and press C

run your web browser and hope it all works nicely.

good luck.

Just in case you run into this problem again, for your case there seems to be an easier fix: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53725-networking-issue/page__gopid__860327&#entry860327

EDIT: Stick with your way for the time being, it seems there is some problems with the solution found in that other thread.

-God Ginrai

It really seems like your router is allowing the WLAN connection, but not routing IP over the link .. this could be caused by an access policy denying your Pandora on the basis of MAC Address .. see if your router has some sort of list of 'known devices allowed to connect' and if there is a MAC-based access control list in the configuration somewhere ..

see if your router has some sort of list of 'known devices allowed to connect' and if there is a MAC-based access control list in the configuration somewhere ..

I have a SKY router and there is an option to add extra devices and additional MAC addresses.

Sky Broadband Router Router Status

Enter your Username and Password.

Go into the Settings option and then use the "SETUP ACCESS LIST" in the "Wireless Station Access List" then "ADD NEW STATION"

I don't know if this helps at all, as I haven't received my Pandora yet.

My problems re-occured. I think my 'solution' was more my connection deciding to work rather than anything I actually did.

Anyway I tried WizardStan's solution, which God kindly pointed out.

in short, puppydee try typing this into a terminal:

sudo ifconfig usb0 down

OMG. good news people I'm actually typing this at home on my pandora with my sagem sky router. That sudo ifconfig usb0 down has fixed the problem, yaaaaaaaaay :D What does that actually do/mean? just so i can understand what it did. I'm well impressed now and hopefully all this trouble and how to fix it should help anyone else in the same problem. I'll add it to my first post incase anyone else has the same problem.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me out by giving advise and tips, without you i'd still be stuck without internet and sanity so thanks guys it means a lot. I know I'm a super noob to linux so cheers for laying it down simple for me. Right, off to amiga land now so I can finally start enjoying this wonderful machine :)

puppydee said:
OMG. good news people I'm actually typing this at home on my pandora with my sagem sky router. That sudo ifconfig usb0 down has fixed the problem, yaaaaaaaaay :D What does that actually do/mean? just so i can understand what it did.

The short explanation is that the Pandora supports using the USB cable to get internet, but for some reason that feature was interfering with the WiFi. The command you used turned off the usb internet.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats! ^_^

-God Ginrai

I just want to say, the way you guys figured out the solution to that was awesome. This is one of the things I like about this place. :)

If I may make a suggestion, while I'm here: It might be worth adding "[SOLVED]" to the subject line of posts like these, to make them easier to find. (I know that moderators have to edit topic titles currently, but it's probably still worthwhile. :p)

Prometheus said:
I just want to say, the way you guys figured out the solution to that was awesome. This is one of the things I like about this place. :)

If I may make a suggestion, while I'm here: It might be worth adding "[SOLVED]" to the subject line of posts like these, to make them easier to find. (I know that moderators have to edit topic titles currently, but it's probably still worthwhile. :p )

Yes they should probably do that. I have edited my first post saying the wifi problem has been solved and the solution but I can't edit the main title. I suppose you could also lock it now that it's fixed. I'll leave it to the mods to decided and again thanks to everyone :)

puppydee said:
Prometheus said:

If I may make a suggestion, while I'm here: It might be worth adding "[SOLVED]" to the subject line of posts like these, to make them easier to find. (I know that moderators have to edit topic titles currently, but it's probably still worthwhile. :p )

Yes they should probably do that. I have edited my first post saying the wifi problem has been solved and the solution but I can't edit the main title. I suppose you could also lock it now that it's fixed. I'll leave it to the mods to decided and again thanks to everyone :)

Sadly there is no option to do this, Unless ED knows different, Or he could maybe add the option. But i have done the next best thing
that Prometheus has suggested, And edited the topic title to indicate that the problem has been solved.

Trooper

puppydee said:
Prometheus said:

I think I might be afflicted with this.
Trying to tether on a 2G iphone, Pandora sees the phones signal, but when I try to connect to it, it immediately disconnects.

I'm gonna read through this whole thread to see if I can figure this out without another word...

Peace & 4:20,

Link

EDIT: Couldn't get it to work after the using "sudo ifconfig usb0 down"
Pandora tries to connect and fails.

Back