[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

Code:
sudo ifconfig usb0 down

Great you did find a solution !!
The Pandora is new so there is obvisouly some rough edges. Got to say I am impressed somebody figured this one out pretty quickly.

Is there any way to get the pandora to execute "sudo ifconfig usb0 down" in terminal on startup automatically or a permanent solution to turning off the usb internet function thing that that command does? It's just because every time I boot I have to type the command in to get my internet to work properly and I wondered if this could be done on startup somehow easily. It's no biggy but would be great if it's possible :)

Mithrildor said:
yeah, just write a bootup script doing this
I should point out that I wouldn't know how to write and bootup script or even what programs to use to do it. I'm a bit of a noob at this sort of thing I'm afraid. If anyone could expand on what to do and how to do it I'd have a go otherwise I guess I'm just gonna have to type it in when I need the web :)

Last edited by a moderator:
puppydee said:
Is there any way to get the pandora to execute "sudo ifconfig usb0 down" in terminal on startup automatically or a permanent solution to turning off the usb internet function thing that that command does? It's just because every time I boot I have to type the command in to get my internet to work properly and I wondered if this could be done on startup somehow easily. It's no biggy but would be great if it's possible :)

I've never had much networking trouble with Linux in the past so I haven't bothered to learn much about it, but if I remember my config files correctly /etc/network/interfaces controls which network devices are brought up when networking is started. It might be easier to stop the USB networking from coming up in the first place rather than pulling it back down afterwards. You might run
Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
(hopefully nano is installed on the Pandora, else use some other text editor) and look for a section something like this
Code:
auto USB0
  iface USB0 inet static
  address 192.168.1.202
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.1.254
(This is probably not exactly right, I don't have a Pandora yet and just made the numbers up.) It may work to comment out (add a "#" to the beginning of each line) this whole section.

Edit: This probably would kill any chance of running a USB wifi or 3G dongle. Hopefully whatever is causing the interference is solved with a future update so we don't need to kill off USB networking.

Yeah that default /etc/network/interfaces is broken and causing puppydee's problem, hopefully we can get it sorted for the next update.

That's what I tried on my pandora -- I put #'s in front of all of the usb part of the /etc/networks/interfaces file. I've found it only partially works though -- while I can now connect to the internet ok if I leave the pandora connected to wifi and don't use it I find the pandora disconnects and will not reconnect again unless I restart x.x .

ljones

That whole "wi-fi disconnects and won't reconnect unless I reboot" is apparently a bug in the network manager and isn't limited to the Pandora only (ie happens on desktops too).

ED's mentioned it a couple of times; if it wasn't late and I wasn't so lazy, I'd find you a link. :) Trust me, I'm watching a TV show about a doctor.

puppydee said:
My problem is now fixed! and the solution was to type
Code:
sudo ifconfig usb0 down
into terminal which was kindly pointed out to me by Pleng and which was originally suggested by WizardStan in another thread so BIG thanks guys you ROCK. Thanks to everyone else who helped out along the way :)
OK, I'm having this same problem. I set up wifi, and it says it's connected, good signal, but no browser will work. Where am I supposed to enter this line of code? On my pandora somewhere? I'm not sure how to imput this line of code.

Chris

You need to enter that into a terminal window. If you're using Xfce, click on the Pandora menu button and look right at the top of the list - just click that.

Prometheus said:
You need to enter that into a terminal window. If you're using Xfce, click on the Pandora menu button and look right at the top of the list - just click that.
Got it!

Edit:Browser works fine now. I'm guessing this will be fixed at some future date?

Thank You,
Chris

Back