[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

puppydee

Linux Virgin!
Website
Visit site
Ok so I've got my pandora and I want to go online so I've clicked on the wifi icon and selected my network and typed in the security key. It says it's connected to my network so I open up midori and goto open-pandora.org which is saves as a bookmark then I get 'Cannot resolve hostname' I've tried it with different websites and get the same. I'm connected and the signal is full strength but no internet. Any ideas? I can use encryption can't I coz my network is encrypted.

I'm just gonna download and install the hotfixes etc then I'll try again :)

My problem is now fixed! and the solution was to type
Code:
sudo ifconfig usb0 down
into terminal which was kindly pointed out to me by Pleng and which was originally suggested by WizardStan in another thread so BIG thanks guys you ROCK. Thanks to everyone else who helped out along the way :)

Haven't got wifi working yet. I can't even get the Pnd files to run. I've tried double clicking them, highlighting them then selecting Execute or highlighting them then selecting Run PND Applicationbut they wont run. I can run them from the sd card can't I? what do I press to run the dam things. And there was me thining I'd be pretty good at this :)

@above, the router is fine, I'm using it now with my pc and with my iphone but the pandora doesn't want to connect.

Unplug your router for 20 seconds then plug it back in.
Wait 2 minutes to make sure it's fully loaded up and try connecting with Pandora again.
If all else fails try disabling the encryption on the routers wifi.

Good luck :)

EDIT: The PND files should install automatically from your SD card. Check the menu entries to start the programs.
You got a folder on your SD card called Pandora that contains two more folders called desktop and menu? Put your PND's in these :)

Have you tried the basics, like checking you've been assigned a proper IP and can ping other computers on your LAN? Have you tried accessing any external websites using their IP? (eg, 209.85.227.147 which should take you to google)

puppydee said:
Haven't got wifi working yet. I can't even get the Pnd files to run. I've tried double clicking them, highlighting them then selecting Execute or highlighting them then selecting Run PND Applicationbut they wont run. I can run them from the sd card can't I? what do I press to run the dam things. And there was me thining I'd be pretty good at this :)

put the pnd's in a folder /pandora/menu on you sd card
and then they will show up in the xfce menu

Edit: also for the wifi it may be useful to check dmesg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the help guys, sorry I'm such a noob and I haven't got a clue with linux stuff, always been a windows junkie. Right do I go into system manager, then pandora, oh there's only appdata in there? no menu. God you've got your hands full with me :) You should of stuffed ed in the box with my pandora for a quick demo on how to run pnd's and set up wifi :)

puppydee said:
Thx for the help guys, sorry I'm such a noob and I haven't got a clue with linux stuff, always been a windows junkie. Right do I go into system manager, then pandora, oh there's only appdata in there? no menu. God you've got your hands full with me :) You should of stuffed ed in the box with my pandora for a quick demo on how to run pnd's and set up wifi :)

system manager?

go into the file manger/another pc and just create a folder pandora/menu and copy the pnd's into the folder menu

It doesn't want to connect to my router at all now so I tried disabling the security but it still says it's a secure connection? so which one should i set it as so the pandora will work with it? These are my options

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)
WPA-802.1x

puppydee said:
It doesn't want to connect to my router at all now so I tried disabling the security but it still says it's a secure connection? so which one should i set it as so the pandora will work with it? These are my options

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)
WPA-802.1x

I believe ive been using WPA2-PSK, you want a sanity check just go with no encryption and see how things work.

Its no gonna hurt using no encryption for 10 minutes. Also try sitting next to your modem/router and making sure it has nothing to with MAC adress.

If everything doesnt works:

Try using one of your neighbours networks (ask first)

I'm not bothered about having no encrytion, I turned it off but on the pandora if I click my network it comes up with
Wireless security WPA & WPA2 Personal
Password blah blah blah

I can't change it to not encrypted it will only have secure and asks for a password :(

Right it needed to turn it off fully rather than just tell it to restart to reset the network thing to no encyption. Right so now it says Connection established but when i open the browser it comes back with Cannot resolve hostname what do I do to fix this? please remember I've never used linux so I can't guess these things :)

How do I assigned a proper IP? is there not a user manual for this thing? I've spent to long with windows I think :)

puppydee said:
Right it needed to turn it off fully rather than just tell it to restart to reset the network thing to no encyption. Right so now it says Connection established but when i open the browser it comes back with Cannot resolve hostname what do I do to fix this? please remember I've never used linux so I can't guess these things :)
Could you try going to http://209.85.227.147 ? If that works it's a DNS problem. If not there might be a network or routing problem. You could also try connecting to your router's IP address, (Assuming you know it since you can configure your router).

puppydee said:
could be a network issue or a DNS issue - if "ifconfig <interface (probably wlan0)> looks okay (similar to ipconfig on windows), try connecting to something via its IP address.
edit: :ph34r:

Multiplex said:
puppydee said:
Could you try going to http://209.85.227.147 ? If that works it's a DNS problem. If not there might be a network or routing problem. You could also try connecting to your router's IP address, (Assuming you know it since you can configure your router).

I got the Google page when typing your address :) but going to the board I got the error again :(

puppydee said:
I got the Google page when typing your address :) but going to the board I got the error again :(
Great news! It's a software issue. :p
That tells me that your Pandora isn't getting DNS settings properly from the router.
The easiest thing to do is probably to copy the settings from another computer, but I'm not sure how to set this in Network Manager, as I haven't used it.

Back