So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

• Total voters

How about putting features that are additional to the P1 on a separate, optional, board between the main PCB and the battery.

This could be released several months after the main unit and include:

• DVB/DAB/DMB reciever
  • GPS/Magnetometer
  • FM radio reciever
  • Accelerometer/gyro
  • Hacker-friendly headers
  • USB hub
  • nothingness (room for internal USB devices/random hacks)

Is OMAP5 even happening?.  Probably the right time to shift to a different chip anyway given the TI announcement. You'd have to wonder even if they do launch it, how much support will you get for an end of line item .

How about a hypothetical 64-bit Tegra, which are supposedly going to be released in 2014?

How about putting features that are additional to the P1 on a separate, optional, board between the main PCB and the battery.

This could be released several months after the main unit and include:

• DVB/DAB/DMB reciever
  • GPS/Magnetometer
  • FM radio reciever
  • Accelerometer/gyro
  • Hacker-friendly headers
  • USB hub
  • nothingness (room for internal USB devices/random hacks)

Last edited by a moderator:
My example accelerometer is literally 2x2 mm. So a really little thing, not much lost if it is not used, but IIRC android would really want you to have one, so even in the name of being a little bit more android-friendly I guess it would be worth it.

And It would be a cool steering method for stuff like tuxracer (as seemingly done on N900 - the pandora port talks about turning your phone :p ).

All the other stuff - just make your own ext or usb attached thingy and use that with the pandora (for the headers etc).

Btw, Magnetometer is a totally different thing from GPS. And compared to GPS the magnetometer would be really cheap - but as stand-alone it would be even less useful gimmick than the accelerometer - unless you want to use the pandora as an IMU for flying a quadrocopter or something :p

I want a sane keyboard layout. I vote for putting hmc in charge for this
I agree that collaborating with hmc on the keyboard would be a good idea

As for the accelerometer, I never realised how much I was relying on that thing when playing Zelda:OOT on the 3DS, until I tried playing it on another platform that didn't have it... (It makes aiming the bow a hell of a lot easier) And while I'm not really a fan of Android, I do think better android compatibility can't hurt.

- Neelix

Tegra 4 looks pretty attractive. Quad core A15 with some kind of lowpower subprocessor. The future looks damn interesting if the P2 could score one of these new SOCs.... the more interesting news is, Nvidia seem to be releasing a decent amount of upstream code for these devices already.

That article seems to sound like the T4 SOC is a little too specialized and is missing some functionality on the GPU compared to the Malis on the Samsung Exynos.

Ironically the Pandora 1 lived up to Greek mythology  it unleashed a lot of problems.

And yet hope remains :)

@ ED : How about an official request for help to find out what the community want in terms of things like, screen size / resolution, size of on board NAND, fixed Nand or USB3, Modularity vs Pocketability etc. Must admit that I was pretty surprised to see that portability does not appear to be the major concern for those who voted so far. Can't believe there are more votes for a 6" screen than a 4" screen.  :eek:  

Also, what do you think of the name Dragonfly for the Pandora Successor? Do you have another name in mind? Would you like to see a community vote to decide the name?

Exciting times for the Pandora community  :)

Ironically the Pandora 1 lived up to Greek mythology  it unleashed a lot of problems.

And yet hope remains :)

@ ED : How about an official request for help to find out what the community want in terms of things like, screen size / resolution, size of on board NAND, fixed Nand or USB3, Modularity vs Pocketability etc. Must admit that I was pretty surprised to see that portability does not appear to be the major concern for those who voted so far. Can't believe there are more votes for a 6" screen than a 4" screen.  :eek:

Also, what do you think of the name Dragonfly for the Pandora Successor? Do you have another name in mind? Would you like to see a community vote to decide the name?

Exciting times for the Pandora community  :)
Maybe it's a little too soon to start such a request...

As for the portability, probably those voters are not exactly considering how a 6" screen would impact portability. (however weird that sounds)

I think a closed questionaire with current pandora owners (after the preorder queues are cleared) is the first survey to be done... And then, maybe an open one, asking for donations (say: donate any ammount of money in order to vote).

I am totally fine with a simple upgrade to what we have.  similar sized screen is fine, clamshell design and keyboard is fine.  If horsepower and memory is all thats bumped up I am actually OK with all of that.

what about craigs modularity idea ? I don't know wether it would be profitable or not, but it would give the P2 some more appeal, if she could be upgraded - relatively easy. It could also add to the distinction from other products on the market. Maybe MWeston (if he will be involved in the P2) already has some ideas even rough sketches ?

what about craigs modularity idea ? I don't know wether it would be profitable or not, but it would give the P2 some more appeal, if she could be upgraded - relatively easy. It could also add to the distinction from other products on the market. Maybe MWeston (if he will be involved in the P2) already has some ideas even rough sketches ?
I think the idea of modular has blown peoples minds in the wrong direction...  Craig meant modular motherboard eg. the main PCB would have plugs for the CPU/memory/NAND... so that could be easily be swapped without causing much hassle.

201206221120215361.jpg
201207091036591394.jpg

Being able to disconnect the screen and change the keyboard is totally bloody wrong and bananas... 

Tegra 4 looks pretty attractive. Quad core A15 with some kind of lowpower subprocessor. The future looks damn interesting if the P2 could score one of these new SOCs.... the more interesting news is, Nvidia seem to be releasing a decent amount of upstream code for these devices already.

That article seems to sound like the T4 SOC is a little too specialized and is missing some functionality on the GPU compared to the Malis on the Samsung Exynos.
It looks like the Tegra 4 was almost designed with a handheld clam shell gaming console in mind...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/14/ces-2013-gaming-roundup/

I like our console format better.

Maybe it's a little too soon to start such a request...
Surely if things like screen size desired by the main customer base are known before hand then this can only be helpful regarding the initial design / concept phase. Remember 'nothing is set in stone yet'.

> As for the portability, probably those voters are not exactly considering how a 6" screen would impact portability. (however weird that sounds)
That does sound very weird, however in the screen poll we have a relatively small number of responses therefore the results as shown should not be seen as statistically significant. My guess is that if ED requested community input to such a poll we would see 100+ responses and a true picture of what this community wants would be shown. Requesting help in areas like that would engage & enthuse the community. Expectations would have to be managed but a carefully worded request could easily achieve that.

I think a closed questionaire with current pandora owners (after the preorder queues are cleared) is the first survey to be done... And then, maybe an open one, asking for donations (say: donate any ammount of money in order to vote).
That sounds even more weird, 'we'd like your help in knowing what you'd like to see in a successor to the Pandora but you're going to have to pay to have your desires considered'. In fact, the term weird does not do that idea justice IMHO.  :blink:
I know it sounds weird, but I don't see how real pandora users would prefer a netbook with gaming controls rather than a HANDheld.

As for the donation required poll, It's just as a way to avoid multiple votes, trolling or votes from passers-by.

Again, I think the first ones that should be asked, are current pandora owners.

Back