Will you buy a pandora 2!!!

Will you buy a Pandora 2?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a different note, I wasn't on the boards when the P1 was developed, but I assume it was developed with lots of community feedback and discussion back and forth. It seems to me the P2 will be a closed door affair with Craig making all the calls and then unveiling it. His right to do so of course, but I assuming this is somewhat different to the way things unfolded with the P!?

The whole notion of community involvement was greatly exaggerated.. community feedback did sway a few things and there was some general response on "would you pay X to get a handheld using Y" but for the most part OPT was doing their own thing.

^^^^I see.I too was not on gp32x.de boards back then either.Still craig does sometimes read the p2 spam section so who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was laughing... deep inside... somewhere.

Mordor?

Would you like an honest comment to that, or a beautified one?

• The honest reply would be:
    "Why? Because excessive littering of places with things that don't belong there is less shameful than not laughing when it happens?" Unfortunately, the many images here don't answer any of the questions posed at the beginning of this thread, and don't help with finding out how the poll has disappeared either.
  • The beautified reply would be:
    "So true, poeple shoudlnt worry so much. Numerous exclamation marks preceded by superfluous whitespace; one one, eleven.", followed by the last 2 panels of http://xkcd.com/6/ .

I hope it's understandable that there are people who find excessive amounts of non-relevant content to be annoying, at the very least. Typically, people won't complain about this, and just leave instead -- not being able to have an uninterrupted discussion isn't nice, and less so if there's a need to go through hassle for it.

So, what's the reasoning behind posting these images here? Even though not everyone will share your kind of humor, surely these images can be enjoyed by some people, and it's not like no one wants to have images on this forum -- but hijacking threads for excessive 'non-content' is something that at least I usually find to be either rude or thoughtless. Please don't do that to this forum.

In case there are not many people here who share my opinion, you can safely ignore it, but I'd be seriously surprised if there weren't several more people on this forum who think this way.

tl;dr + I never knew that my last post was meant to be taken seriously, thank you for correcting my erroneous impression. ;)

On a different note, I wasn't on the boards when the P1 was developed, but I assume it was developed with lots of community feedback and discussion back and forth. It seems to me the P2 will be a closed door affair with Craig making all the calls and then unveiling it. His right to do so of course, but I assuming this is somewhat different to the way things unfolded with the P!?

The whole notion of community involvement was greatly exaggerated.. community feedback did sway a few things and there was some general response on "would you pay X to get a handheld using Y" but for the most part OPT was doing their own thing.

That wasn't my impression. They used one of my suggestions after all. The Pandora has a lanyard/strap hole so I don't fumble/drop it during turbulence. I thought it was a nice added touch - and I make good use out of it.

I'm sure there are other people on here who found their ideas used in part, whole or derived from.

There is a reasonable limit to how 'forthcoming' they could be expected to be during the initial design of a new product. They can't say much, so, in my humble opinion, we should all just blurt out our ideas/thoughts/suggestions and if they sway or assist the design team, even if only through humor, then there is something 'added'.

tl;dr + I never knew that my last post was meant to be taken seriously, thank you for correcting my erroneous impression. ;)
Now, this is rude (...or childish?). I'm taking you seriously, and I'd prefer to be taken seriously too. If you could at least spend the time to read what I've written, that would be splendid. When you're done doing that, you can still decide to simply ignore it (but I think that would be rude, too).

It doesn't so much refer to your post specifically, but more to a general kind of behavior that's become quite prevalent on this forum.

Now, this is rude (...or childish?). I'm taking you seriously, and I'd prefer to be taken seriously too. If you could at least spend the time to read what I've written, that would be splendid. When you're done doing that, you can still decide to simply ignore it (but I think that would be rude, too).

It doesn't so much refer to your post specifically, but more to a general kind of behavior that's become quite prevalent on this forum.

In my humble opinion, posting irrelevant bits is one way people respond when they agree or disagree with the poster's argument but do not want to take the time or can not formulate a logical response. It's a case of, 'ignore the discussion and look at what I can do!'

It doesn't stop me from seeing the pictures as funny though.

Now, this is rude (...or childish?).

Feel free to pick either. :)

I'm taking you seriously, and I'd prefer to be taken seriously too. If you could at least spend the time to read what I've written, that would be splendid. When you're done doing that, you can still decide to simply ignore it (but I think that would be rude, too).

As you wish, it really really wasn't meant to be taken at all seriously though, I did read your previous post btw but found it rather hard going, what I got from it was, I wish people would stop posting things that I consider to be off topic and also that people should complain more rather than sitting back and doing nothing.

I'm afraid that it's only going to be happening more often as the Pandora's audience expands, unless a new rule is added to the list of current ones of course, and even then there'll more than likely be sporadic outbreaks.

I'm afraid that it's only going to be happening more often as the Pandora's audience expands, unless a new rule is added to the list of current ones of course, and even then there'll more than likely be sporadic outbreaks.
Hm, I can see we're generally thinking alike in this regard.

Of course off-topic is not a bad thing if it's not so excessive that it can become annoying (and even then it sometimes is still a positive thing). I understand why you see my comment as being rather hard going, because yes, that's what it was! (And boy, did it appear to be based on a single incident!) If this was just about me, I wouldn't even have commented at all. But I'm not the only one here, and the problem with 'negative' comments such as mine above is that they're often a hassle for those who write them -- too easily, such comments are not taken seriously, are being seen as 'harsh', or are disregarded for being an outbreak of insanity, when actually all they do is just to summarize what someone else is experiencing.

So yes, you're right that I think people should 'complain' more (that doesn't mean one has to be rude or childish, as you've just proven with your 'complaint'!), but the actual problems come when complaints aren't really possible because people don't think about criticism in an objective manner. The paragraph On Not Reacting Like A Loser in the linked document somewhat explains why this can be deadly for technical forums.

In this forum here, both technical discussions as well as general chatter from people interested in the Pandora are taking place, so people need to be careful to make sure that the forum at the very least doesn't go out of balance. That sounds like a status that's not achievable because not everyone follows all rules, but it is somewhat achievable exactly because it's not necessary to have rules for this: What's accepted behavior in a community by definition fluidly adapts based on each individual community member's behavior. So when someone informs you that she thinks editing other people's texts when quoting them is "misleading", and you do it again, I need to complain too if I think editing quotes without making it very clear is extremely bad manner (which I do).

The bottom line? Well, I guess it's that we should all hate each other more. ;) Either that, or that people should all sometimes talk to each other in a way like we two just did. Face-to-face, people do this frequently because it helps with ...everything(?), but in online forums it often first appears to blow things out of proportion (when actually it keeps things from going completely awry in the future - see some of the recent threads).

and you do it again, I need to complain too if I think editing quotes without making it very clear is extremely bad manner (which I do).

It seems we differ here because I feel that a FTFY or Fixed That For You states clearly that the quoted post has been edited from the original. The rest of your post has been duly noted though.

It seems we differ here because I feel that a FTFY or Fixed That For You states clearly that the quoted post has been edited from the original. The rest of your post has been duly noted though.
I'm very sorry, that's my fault. I don't know why this is the case, but I thought that I had once verified that FTFY means "For the F*cking Yes".

This is a really nasty kind of mistake that really, really shouldn't have happened.

.. someone told that? Oh man, I can only guess what kind of misunderstandings that has led to..

.. someone told that? Oh man, I can only guess what kind of misunderstandings that has led to..

The odd part is, that regardless of how venomously people bicker here, we're all more alike than different. In a random chunk of the population, we would still be the engineering nerds.

Someone told me that quite some time ago, yes. I thought I would have verified it, as I always do with such things, but apparently I didn't. As far as I'm aware, there were not many situations were I misunderstood something because of this, and if my memory serves me correctly, it can be assumed that there were no significant effects except for /maybe/ twice (including the current situation, which I consider to be significantly affected).

But, uhm, this discussion here is so far off-topic now, it's even off-topic from off-topic... This thread here may not really be able to keep people discussing about its actual topic for a long time, but still I'm not going to reply anymore unless someone has questions regarding the actual off-topic.

I shouldn't have to ask for things to get back on topic more than once, and it always seems to be the same few offenders who keep ignoring these requests and spamming up almost every thread they take part in with pictures. There's nothing wrong with this very occasionally, as it can be quite amusing and lead to interesting *on-topic* discussions, but if you want to be posting on an image-board, this forum is not the place for that. Warning points will be issued if (or more likely, when) this continues, from now on.

If anyone wants to start a new thread/poll/whatever about what this topic was supposed to be about, please do feel very free to do so. However, I'm going to lock this one, as I believe it's now beyond rescue. My apologies for this. Again, please feel free to start with a clean slate on this one, as it's obviously ripe for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back