So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

• Total voters

Why would we keep the keyboard when the iCP2 team have already designed a (purportedly) better one?

The semi-metal case design from the iCP2 could also be carried over
I vote for a redesign

Why would we keep the keyboard when the iCP2 team have already designed a (purportedly) better one?

I vote for a redesign
Personally I'd like to see the ICP2 in person, see how well it works and feels before judging what would be suitable for the Pandora 2..

That's the thing... We know Craig has the ability to create something with his team (If the iCP2 actually ships and doesn't suck).

Which Team? Is there anyone who is ever willing to work with Craig at this stage?

haha Dragonfly sounds awesome actually :D
+1 as well. Close this thread, there never will be an OP2, just the newer and sleeker DragonFly. Rename the boards too. And the website, Which reminds me, we shouldn't really name the OP2 because of that. we'd practically need a new URL.

As much as I want a Pandora 2, with EvilDragons and Craigs recent animosity, plus all the stress and problems involved with the original, I don't see a Pandora 2 arriving without outside help. Right now I am either hoping Evil Dragon changes his mind and goes for a Pandora 2, DragonFly, whatever, or they add the GCW guys to the mix to have them help make a higher powered pocketable FULL LINUX (instead of Dingux) computer.
But didn't Craig said that there surely won't be a new Pandora? And BTW how can he prevent a new Pandora from release?
Moreover as I understand this is quite an unofficial part of the forum. So, do we have an official statement from ED about his plans to release P2, Dragonfly (I really like that name) or whatever sometime?
So, there won't be Pandora 2... but again I want to ask if ED has any plans about making Dragonfly or whatever... basically any device better than Pandora 1 GHz?

Has anyone realised that this is a serious possibility?

pantari.jpg

GCW may be able to buy Atari, and may work with ED on a pandora successor B)
My goodness... who made this?  I desperately want this.  The ridges, and the colors!

Sure, if I can afford it.

Nothing set in stone yet.
That's amazing, but could you offer a tiny bit more? Have you spoken with the team in the last few weeks regarding the idea of a P2? are they on board? have there been plans made for the P2... no matter how loosely

Craig was talking about some kind of design already in pre-production. This module motherboard and new case design.... Do you know anything about these ideas?

or will everything be decided when you hit the button in 12+ months time. 

I'll prepare my virgin sacrifices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, if I can afford it.

Nothing set in stone yet.
That's amazing, but could you offer a tiny bit more? Have you spoken with the team in the last few weeks regarding the idea of a P2?
Partly, yes.

are they on board? have there been plans made for the P2... no matter how loosely
There are loose plans, but they existed for months already.

My ideas about the successor differs from Craigs plan though, but that was already discussed in public.

So I'll follow my idea, if it happens.

Craig was talking about some kind of design already in pre-production. This module motherboard and new case design.... Do you know anything about these ideas?
He meant the iCP2 case, which was planned to be the base of the Pandora 2. I won't use them and I don't plan on making a successor too complex.

If I do it, I'll try to keep what made the Pandora unique, fix issues we have, upgrade to more recent hardware and that's it.

I'll rather go the safer way (producing a similar device with most recent hardware and flaws fixed) than starting a completely new idea which is a lot more risky. 

or will everything be decided when you hit the button in 12+ months time. 
Nothing decided yet and no serious design has started, but we're already watching the market for possible LCDs, etc., as sourcing doesn't cost much but safes time once we done it :)

I'll prepare my virgin sacrifices.
The poor virgins...

So the way I read that.. that "realistic" Pandora 2 thread I've made isn't in the same direction you're thinking.... 

That's fine with me. I'll keep me eyes peeled until you have something more solid to speak about it :)

My ideas about the successor differs from Craigs plan though, but that was already discussed in public.

He meant the iCP2 case, which was planned to be the base of the Pandora 2. I won't use them and I don't plan on making a successor too complex.

If I do it, I'll try to keep what made the Pandora unique, fix issues we have, upgrade to more recent hardware and that's it.

I'll rather go the safer way (producing a similar device with most recent hardware and flaws fixed) than starting a completely new idea which is a lot more risky. 
So - something more like this then?

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11080-what-if-we-back-up-a-bit-and-make-it-more-incremental/

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11080-what-if-we-back-up-a-bit-and-make-it-more-incremental/
I'M guessing that the plan is entirely new hardware based on the same old concept.

New case

New PCB + components

New screen

New keyboard

No amazing clippy-flippy-swappy tablet modes

>>...

lockquote>

>He meant the iCP2 case, which was planned to be the base of the Pandora 2. I won't use them and I don't plan on making a successor too complex.

I'M guessing that the plan is entirely new hardware based on the same old concept.

New case

New PCB + components

New screen

New keyboard

No amazing clippy-flippy-swappy tablet modes
ooooh so I might be on the money? I'm so confused!

but, if that's the truth... shut up and take my money

What i think will be doable...

Same dimensions of case (but without all the flaws of the current)

A 5" screen (unknown resolution for now)

A better keyboard (the current is good...but i think it could be improved)

Better nubs

A new mobo with updated hardware.

What i think will be doable...

Same dimensions of case (but without all the flaws of the current)

A 5" screen (unknown resolution for now)

A better keyboard (the current is good...but i think it could be improved)

Better nubs

A new mobo with updated hardware.
I would go even simpler than that. Every new component, new hardware piece, new design costs time and money.  I think we should keep whatever isn't 'broken'.

Same case - only modify if/where needed to fit the updated hardware.  KISS is an understatement.

I'd love to have a 5-5.5" 720p screen in it - yes this would require the inside-lid bezel piece to be significantly modified and the speakers to move.

Use speakers with clear membranes.  Wrap a split-rubber washer around them to prevent buzzing/vibrations and shove them up where the light pipes used to be - the light pipe holes become speaker grills.  The lights still shine up and through too.

Keep the keyboard - the current one is not only good - it's actually pretty darn good - and good enough to not require an expensive re-design.

Keep the nubs.  The nubs are excellent.  Calling for 'Better Nubs' assumes it's possible to just pull them off the shelf - it isn't.  The only change I would make to them is to re-case the base of them so that they ride in a socket on the MB instead of being soldered directly to it.  This way if a nub is bad, swap it, test and go.

New motherboard with updated hardware is a must.  If we use the current Pandora case molds as a constraint in design, and MWeston is doing the design, then all of the port positions and configurations can fall into the known column.

Starting over with a complete scratch build - that would be very expensive and would be a very long road time wise.

In My Humble Opinion Only of course - you're welcome to your opinion too.

Back