So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

So...Will there ever be a Pandora 2?

• Total voters

I was thinking does such a thing exist. A truly portable computer for professional use in various industries. The keyboard would have to be flawless and somehow as big as possible.

I was thinking of a proper fully functional computer, waterproof,resilent to various temperatures. Extremely tough, rugged and able to withstand hard knocks or falls.

Something for serious uses. but small enough to fit in a pocket. It could be used in oil rigs, outside locations, wilderness etc. I dont expect op to do it.just saying such a device could be usesful.

Maybe something like this exists already. dunno. It would need alot of serious software though. ability to upload data to the cloud etc. It would have to be practical to use the keyboard though.

the pandoras is nice but not quick enough id say for fast input of critical data and such.

What i think will be doable...

Same dimensions of case (but without all the flaws of the current)

A 5" screen (unknown resolution for now)

A better keyboard (the current is good...but i think it could be improved)

Better nubs

A new mobo with updated hardware.
I would go even simpler than that. Every new component, new hardware piece, new design costs time and money.  I think we should keep whatever isn't 'broken'.

Same case - only modify if/where needed to fit the updated hardware.  KISS is an understatement.

I'd love to have a 5-5.5" 720p screen in it - yes this would require the inside-lid bezel piece to be significantly modified and the speakers to move.

Use speakers with clear membranes.  Wrap a split-rubber washer around them to prevent buzzing/vibrations and shove them up where the light pipes used to be - the light pipe holes become speaker grills.  The lights still shine up and through too.

Keep the keyboard - the current one is not only good - it's actually pretty darn good - and good enough to not require an expensive re-design.

Keep the nubs.  The nubs are excellent.  Calling for 'Better Nubs' assumes it's possible to just pull them off the shelf - it isn't.  The only change I would make to them is to re-case the base of them so that they ride in a socket on the MB instead of being soldered directly to it.  This way if a nub is bad, swap it, test and go.

New motherboard with updated hardware is a must.  If we use the current Pandora case molds as a constraint in design, and MWeston is doing the design, then all of the port positions and configurations can fall into the known column.

Starting over with a complete scratch build - that would be very expensive and would be a very long road time wise.

In My Humble Opinion Only of course - you're welcome to your opinion too.
I like the nub on the 3DS, maybe they could get their new nubs from the company that made the one for the 3DS? I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't manufacture that themselves, so that could still work.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be, when Craig comes back. xD (analogous to "when pigs fly")

one-million-dollars-o.gif
Lol, I miss AP. :(

There will be, when Craig comes back. xD (analogous to "when pigs fly")
Who needs Craig?.. see ED post below.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12273-sowill-there-ever-be-a-pandora-2/page-3?p=231468#entry231468
Well if we get Craig on board there may be some extra funding..... Perhaps a Kickstarter is what we need (once we get at least 3/4 of the device finalized)
Craig has a wonderful past record of letting money and deadlines slip though his fingers, while running a highly opaque bussiness.

There may be valid reasons for those failings, but I'm still more comfortable buying from ED.

How about Phoenix?
OpenPhoenix is nice :)

Pandora was given a beautiful container – with instructions not to open it under any circumstance. Impelled by her curiosity (given to her by the gods), Pandora opened it, and all evil contained therein escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the container, but the whole contents had escaped, except for one thing that lay at the bottom – the Spirit of Hope named Elpis
OpenPrometheus? OpenPersephone? OpenElpis  :)

How about Phoenix?
OpenPhoenix is nice :)

>Pandora was given a beautiful container – with instructions not to open it under any circumstance. Impelled by her curiosity (given to her by the gods), Pandora opened it, and all evil contained therein escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the container, but the whole contents had escaped, except for one thing that lay at the bottom – the Spirit of Hope named Elpis
OpenPrometheus? OpenPersephone? OpenElpis  :)
Should p2 be named after something dragon like that are related to Greek mythology? Like openLernaen, which is a hydra like evil dragon who regenerates heads and breathe bubonic plague in people's faces. 

Back