"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

Well uh thats interesting.
https://blog.rhomb.io/rhomb-io-will-not-support-smachz-project/

[doublepost=1498442470,1498441596][/doublepost]This is the contact details listed on Rhomb's website.

And IMASD's contact info.

As far as I can tell Rhomb is still a part of IMASD
Rhomb has a dev wiki with a bunch of components including the cpu board which appears fully developed.
http://wiki.rhomb.io/index.php?title=AMD_Embedded_R_series_Processor_RX-421

So did IMASD completely cut ties with the project team?

Hmm Interesting. I wonder if they will release an update about this.

My guess has been that if it launches, it will be around mid to late next year. If it launches

I just checked and its been 3 or so days or so since that info found its way to their forums I guess which have blown up and the Smach team has been silent and given I doubt this'll blow over and has slowly been spreading across the web I can think of very few reasons they haven't said anything yet and they aren't good things.

I guess Rhomb launched a Indiegogo campaign that fell flat on its face which isn't surprising since I can find pretty much no advertising for it.
{E} removed
Archived working link.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RXZLmd3nUKkJ:https://www.indiegogo. com/projects/rhomb-io-welcome-the-real-modularity+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#/
{E} remove the space

Its not active yet due to their campaign but they have a webstore up with module prices.
https://rhomb.io/wizard
AMD motherboard plus AMD RX421 core is currently listed at €229/$256 USD.
[doublepost=1498446360,1498445921][/doublepost]Ah wish I could figure out how to convince this forum to not autolink to IGG.

Actually Rhomb does sell the modules right now on their website, you have to buy them separately though.
https://rhomb.io/shop/amd-rx-421bd
€180
The AMD Embedded R series Processor RX-421 is a certified rhomb.io core Module based on the AMD Embedded R-Series System on a Chip (SoC). This thin and small board is easily pluggable on the Standard rhomb.io core Sockets of the series S500 and has been designed to be the brain of a rhomb.io modular system. It mainly accomplish two different roles: power supply management and computing.

The main characteristic of this Core (as well as the other rhomb Cores) is the full integration in such a small board of all the essential components to make the system work: CPU, GPU, RAM, boot memory and power management. Users that mount this Core on a rhomb Motherboard (or on a well designed custom board) will find that the only thing they should provide is a proper power source and a mass storage device with an installed OS.

I reached out to Rhomb requesting some clarification about the use of their modules still, their involvement prior to the breakup and how Technofingers is related to imasD and they sent me this.
After our last post we have been receiving a lot of e-mails asking about the Rhomb.io implication on SmachZ Project.

We would like to clarify that Rhomb.io is the proprietary of S500 rhomb.io Core AMD RX421 (main processor unit used on SmachZ video game machine) and like any other piece in the Rhomb.io universe, will be available for anyone wanting to use it on their product, design or project, including of course the SmachZ team.

The Core AMD RX-421 has been validated by AMD, it’s on Alpha phase and it will be available at the end of 2017 for anyone to use.

We also wish to inform that the delivery times published by SmachZ during the crowdfunding campaign, never been agreed by us.

Rhomb.io team have been designing and developing this product from the beginning, including the prototypes used on the fair shows.

Based on our experience developing/making products, we consider that Smach Z has not been able to understand or value the complexity of development and fabrication that this kind of product implies, regarding to the technical and economic matters. For these reasons, after several disagreements and long pauses during this project, unconnected to Rhomb.io, both parts have decided to dissolve cooperation.

From our side, we want to thank all the support received from the user community, and specially, from the semiconductor manufacturers.

Thanks, best regards

Rhomb.io team.

PS: Rhomb.io is a modular platform property of Tecnofingers S.L (imasD is a Trade Mark property of Tecnofingers s.l)

Hmm, I wonder why Smach Z didn't go with designing a standrad non modular board Would have thought that would have been eaiser and cheaper

That's been a question since the start of the project, as far as I recall. They've always been planning to make it out of a collection of bits strapped together, which explained the girth of the old prototypes, and made many wonder how they ever planned to slim it down without making their own board. I suspect they haven't got any experience in making computer boards, so was planning to just make a joystick PCB, wire it up to the computer board bits, and slap on a screen, battery and storage.

Just wrap tape around it to add whatever else you want to include. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Hey, guys, I know how a camera can be added to the Pyra!;)

Its fine for a fun and exciting round of internet he said she said presented by your host, a random internet stranger!

Today in the ring we have Spanish tech company Rhomb and opposing them the Smach team!

Rhomb steps up and quickly throws a blistering one two punch!
We also wish to inform that the delivery times published by SmachZ during the crowdfunding campaign, never been agreed by us.

Rhomb.io team have been designing and developing this product from the beginning, including the prototypes used on the fair shows.

Based on our experience developing/making products, we consider that Smach Z has not been able to understand or value the complexity of development and fabrication that this kind of product implies, regarding to the technical and economic matters. For these reasons, after several disagreements and long pauses during this project, unconnected to Rhomb.io, both parts have decided to dissolve cooperation.

And finally after 5 days of silence the Smach team smacks back!
Hello,

We have received many messages asking for clarification after the latest publication of ImasD announcing that Rhomb is not longer supporting SMACH Z. We’re going to clarify and explain all the details once the issue with them will be solved. At this point we can’t give many details as we are subject to confidentiality obligations, the same as ImasD.

For the moment we can only assure you of the continuity of the project and delivery of the console. We’re working already with a better partner that will finish the development, SMACH Z will keep all the promised features, but it won’t make use of Rhomb technology. Regarding the shipment date, the delivery will be delayed with respect to the latest update, but not more than the delay that ImasD was already incurring at the breakup moment.

Even if this unexpected change is complicated, we hope that you understand that it has been the best decision for the continuity of the project. We’ll give more details in the next update as soon as we can share more information.

Thanks for your patience.

Will Rhomb retaliate? Does the Smach team speak the truth? Will this device ever make it into the general public? Am I actually nothing more than a internet stranger who likes to pretend that I know what I'm talking about?

Stay tuned for answers to this internet pissing match that will likely never actually be answered!

@MJPIA

Looks like the Smach team made yet another update on Kickstarter ie the 29th. Are you able to read it?

Hi Smachers,

We still can’t give more details about the ImasD breakup, but we’d like to give another update to answer some of your most common questions.

New Partners:

After the ImasD failure, we don’t want the success of the project to rely on another third party. That’s why the new hardware development team will work with our team as a part of SMACH Z, even if they are an independent hardware company (On Testing S.L). We will be in full control of the project so we will be able to communicate more freely with you. The lack of communication with backers was due to the scarcity of progress updates from ImasD.

The new team is very experienced, and we’re confident that they will do great work, but we don’t want to rely only on one team. We’re looking forward to adding more partners to the project. We’re in negotiations with Bleujour for the AMD integration and BQ and TicNova for the production (though the deal is not closed yet).

New Schedule:

It’s early to have a new schedule because the new team has just started. Also, we’re still dealing with ImasD to get the materials in order to continue the work.

Because of the change from Rhomb technology we will need to redo all the work related to Rhomb, including the AMD SoC integration. As an preliminary date we’re estimating having the final version developed in December 2017 and start shipping to backers on Q1 2018. We’ll give more details as soon as we establish the new schedule.

Modularity:

SMACH Z won’t use Rhomb technology anymore. However, SMACH Z will still be modular, and it’ll be possible to upgrade the SoC, RAM and storage as promised. We’re working on our own modular solution, following standards of M.2 for the SSD and laptop DDR4 RAM.

Refunds:

We understand your concerns and people asking for refunds, however that is not feasible at this point as those funds are invested in completing the project.

As you may know, it’s quite usual for new projects to be delayed. More than 80% of Kickstarter's top projects shipped late, and especially hardware projects. Some examples of renown projects that have been delayed and were finally successful are Pebble, Oculus Rift and TouchTime.

Like those projects, we are dedicated to overcome the inherit difficulties in producing new hardware and appreciate the your support and patience.

Compensation:

We’re working on introducing improvements to the console's hardware in order to address your concerns about the delay. We will disclose more details as soon as we can.

Thanks for your support.

So throwing out everything done so far and starting from scratch.

I'm pretty sure these are the new companies that pending successful negotiations will be involved.
https://www.bleujour.com/en/
http://www.ticnova.es
https://www.bq.com/en/

In other words, the Smach team tells "Smachers" that they will be keeping their smackers.

however that is not feasible at this point as those funds are invested in completing the project.
Do you want to get sued? Because that's how you get sued.

Back