1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by kev_os, Jul 16, 2016.

1. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Lemme know if it is worth reading, or even better, give us the highlights.

2. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

Someone posted on Neogaf some details Smach had posted detiling the companies they are now working with (In replacement of Rhomb.io)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245874190&postcount=391

Smach Z also posted a comment on their KS campaign page in reply to Stopdropretros last youtube video.
    Pretty reasonable stuff (although didn't address why the KS page says the prototype used clickarm) .
    However, the bit about having given Rhomb.io $280K is worrying, they got $480K Euro from the KS campaign and $660KUSD from Indiegogo. If $280K miinimum(I'm sure there were other expenses to others along the way) of that is now gone, I wonder if they have enough to now redesign the board etc and build the thing .

"
    Hi TheInaneRambler,

Oh, no… here we go again… I think there is nothing new in the video, all this information has been already explained in the forums. However, this is the summary of the points that I have seen in the new video:

- Yes, we have payed all the invoices to ImasD (80K for the prototype + 200K for the development work done so far).

- No, we haven't all the materials from ImasD, they won’t send us any material until our development contract gets closed. Both companies are in a litigation about that.

- As Pedro explained, they weren’t using any Lynx tablet hack. They used standard components that can be used in Lynx tablet or any other devices, and that bought from a hardware provider. If the guy of the vide would know how to use Google, he would find that the same component has been used by many other brands, like Qumo, Reeder, Cube Iwork, Pipo,…

- Yes, I sent a DMCA claim to stop publishing confidential photos that were post only on the private forums. It’s my work to do that for any confidential photo published, it doesn't matter if it's of the a photo of the open prototype or any other.

- Yes, we’re working with Cirque, using Cirque components (photo of the devkit: https://tinyurl.com/cirquedevkit)

- No, we don’t have nothing to do with PGS Labs, we were working on our project and the prototype was created long time before their scam campaign was published.

- Regarding the “idea man” accusation, he is right, we’re not hardware developers ourselves. As we explained SMACH Team comes from the game development industry (Computer Engineers), I’ve worked on about 25 published titles.

- It’s true that we were at “mercy of manufactures”, you always are at mercy of someone if you don’t have all your resources in-house, and we can’t afford that for a new project. Fortunately, the new way to work with our new partners is different than with ImasD, now they’re integrated with our team and we’re more in control than before.

I’d rather prefer forgetting about that guy theories and focus on working on the project but if you have any other specific questions about that don’t hesitate to ask us in the forum: https://forum.smachz.com"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Faust

Faust Very Active Member

Qumo, Reeder, Cube Iwork, Pipo,…" funny fact, all those brand are Chinese companies that use almost the same motherboard with the same ports displayed the same way. They are basically confirming by negating.

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

4. vcoleiro1

Can anyone read the latest Smach Z Kickstarter update posted today?

5. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

The fact that updates are for backers only clearly shows that this product is dubious...

6. MJPIA

MJPIA Still Fresh

7. leafar

leafar Still Fresh

there is another missing part.
    In the other hand, we finally got full access to the new SoC technical information, we’ve started to work with the latest documentation and we’re now able to determine a more accurate project plan schedule.

8. vcoleiro1

Thanks MJPIA

I wonder how they will make up the 280K they lost to Imasd. That is 27% of all the funds they collected from KS and IG. I wonder if they salvaged anything from that or it was a complete write off.
    Did they mention anything about getting further investment $ ?

9. MJPIA

MJPIA Still Fresh

I'm under a NDA so I can't really talk about anything that happens on the forum especially since they have been tracking down and banning anyone who has violated it.

10. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Closed forums, and banning people that share info, seems a bit off imo...maybe it is somewhat innocent, and they are trying to prevent another company making and selling a similar product before this one is finished.

11. vcoleiro1

Someone has let me know of a mistake I made in the calculation above re: the percentage they lost of the crowdfunding cash. Apparently the amount listed on the Indiegogo site already accounts for funds raised on Kickstartter . Weird , I know.

Anyway, the total funding they raised is either $661K USD or $728K USD. There seems to be some issue with the KS component reported on IGG - might be the exchange rate has changed since

Anyway that $280K they lost to imasd could be Euro or USD, meaning it could be $280K USD or $336K USD.

So it means they lost somewhere between 38% and 51%.of their crowdfunding. I say lost, but they may have salvaged something out the work imasd did.

Add to that crowdfunding and payement fees of around 8% and they have lost either 46% or 59%

That to me sounds like they may need further investment to carry on. But who knows, maybe they over estimated the amount they needed. I seriously doubt it. Lets not forget there would have also been other business expsense over time as well . Not sure if they are taking a salary , paying an office lease , hired other contractors etc

Yeah, so if they haven't got further investment from somewhere, they could be nearing empty by now. And they still have to develop the thing with a new HW partner, buy parts, molds, and manufacture like 1600 units or so and ship them off.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017