1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by kev_os, Jul 16, 2016.

1. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

What's your order number?

ashcloud, Fzero and rygD like this.
  2. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

Has anyone backed the Smach Z and seen the update which are for backers ony?

3. Pyrate

Pyrate Still Fresh

I do not believe in the Smach Z until they have a proper prototype with the real chip, not a mockup. As per AMD website the RX-421BD SoC, which is the fastest Fusion-R on the market as of now has a TDP of 15-35 W.
    This means on full load you would need a laptop size battery to get decent run time when running on battery.

Also the cooling solution will need a heatpipe and active Fan to get that amount of heat out. That calls for a weight of at least 700g or more.

I mean them no harm and hope they are able to put a nice system out, but until they provide the final specs like weight and battery life I am not interested.

4. vcoleiro1

Are you saying active cooling would push the weight up that high?. Becuase there are plenty of actively cooled devices which come in a lot under 700g. For example the GPD WIN and Pocket. I think the WIN is 360grams and the 7" Pocket with full metal case, heatpipe, fan and heatsink comes in at 480grams from the specs

By the way, they did mention the AMD SOC they will use has a TDP that can be set, I think they mentioned setting it to the lower 15W

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. Pyrate

Pyrate Still Fresh

I was more referring to the battery size - at 35W they would need a 400g battery at least.
    But my GPD Win has a 4W TDP and its copper cooling plate weighs in more than 100g. And the battery with 6900mAh at would give you less than a hour playtime running at 35W.

So I really hope they can get the actual TDP down while keeping enough juice to power the games. If the Smach Z won't have enough grunt to power modern games, it won't be successful.

6. vcoleiro1

Apparently their currnet plan is to have 4 cells of 3250 mAh 3.7v, each weighing 60g. So 13000mAh at a weight of 240g
    I'm guessing these are 18650 batteries

They also plan for the back cover to be removable, presumably to be able to swap the batteries

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 5:12 AM
  7. Pyrate

Pyrate Still Fresh

It will be interesting, how much TDP the final version of their chipset will use.

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Removable batteries with that much Watt hours?
    Good luck with shipping... At least legally...

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

Wrath Of Khan likes this.
  9. vcoleiro1

Given what they said about the batteries. I'm betting they will use four 18650 batteries like below.
    The issue I see though, is if they are swappable - I'm not sure they have confirmed that, but if they are , then the risk would be ensuring people swap in 4 batteries equally charged and of the same brand. Unless Lithium Ion batteries don't have that issue?

[​IMG]

rygD likes this.
  10. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

Li-ion suffer worst from this issue, but if this thing were designed not to be a bomb, each cell would be managed separately, and not just being put in series without any control...

11. vcoleiro1

I guess that makes sense. I must admit, I hope they can pull this off, I'd like to see more competition in the Windows Handheld space

12. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I've seen plenty of electric drill teardowns where the li-ion batteries are just linked in series. They don't tend to act as bombs, although they do thrash their batteries so they die before their time.

13. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

Well, i suppose you really want to avoid using unprotected li-ion in this case... Anyway i was using a rather hypothetic form as:
    1) i doubt they are really designing the thing.
    2) I'm unsure they would care about such details anyway...

14. MJPIA

MJPIA Still Fresh

Snippets from the latest update.
    [​IMG]
    Burning all their CPU test boards seems not good.
    [​IMG]
    When they say test board I assume they are talking about these dev boards they got from AMD and those can't be cheap.

15. vcoleiro1

@MJPIA

Is that the Kickstarter update from today (19th May)?

Is it me, or did these two comments they made come across odd.

"We’ve started to do cooling system simulations. After the first tests we deduced that the planned passive cooling would be enough to dissipate 15w"

"during our temperature and powers consumption tests we’ve burned all the AMD Merlin Falcon test boards that we had"

I suppose they must have tested beyond 15w to burn the boards out

I wonder if they will be getting help from KS's newly launched Hardware Studio: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/18/kickstarter-launches-tools-for-creators-because-hardware-is-hard/

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    rygD likes this.
  16. MJPIA

MJPIA Still Fresh

Yeah its from today.
    I found the statements about cooling system tests being adequate and them burning their test boards contradictory as well but figured I'd give them benefit of doubt here since we don't know exactly what happened.
    Either way though something does seem odd there, like you may need to do some destructive testing to prove the cooling works and test just how far it can go but you wouldn't ruin all your test boards on purpose if it meant it'd effect production.

17. Exophase

Exophase Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.

Burning out boards during testing is concerning. Even if they had insufficient cooling, like if the fan was removed, the SoC should still throttle down or if necessary turn off entirely to prevent damage. And this didn't just happen once but multiple times.

I'm still very skeptical that passive cooling could successfully dissipate 15W in this form factor. And they seem to be realizing that 15W isn't enough when factoring in power consumption from components other than the SoC, like the PMIC, DRAM, and display.

rygD likes this.
  18. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

Pretty sure the burn soc had nothing to do with the cooling solution, I heard the box with the dev kit just happened to be in a nissan leaf that took fire...

Klumpen and levi like this.
  19. Pyrate

Pyrate Still Fresh

Do they already have custom mainboards now? Ih not then I would also guess the dev boards got destroyed?