Slackware inside Pyra

Crap, the image doesn't work.
Did that in a hurry before sleep, didn't test, I'm sorry.

Powering on only light the green logo at the back of the screen.
I produced the image as usual but shrunk a bit the main partition in order to fit any 16 Go card.
Maybe it broke something on the partition layout.

I'll remove it from the ftp.

Ok, nailed it looking at the build logs: I had an internet outage during the build as some downloads failed incl. appropriate kernel (could be useful)...
Code:
Resolving download.goldelico.com (download.goldelico.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'download.goldelico.com'

Last edited:
The problem is fixed, I'm currently uploading the new image.
Done in approx. 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
These three files (or at least one of them, no time to test which one) have to be removed from the rootfs, otherwise starting Xfce won't work:

/usr/bin/pyra_purge-quit-menu.sh
/usr/bin/pyra_first-xfce-login.sh
/usr/bin/pyra_first-start.sh

My bad again... this is an alpha release.

Last edited:
This release is delivered as a compressed dd image.
Verify the sha256sum, then use xz -d, unxz or 7zip to decompress the archive.
And dd it to a 16 Go or more SD card.
I have try to use Etcher to flash from URL today 5.00. No success. Boot-Partition looks ok. Caja means rootfs is corrupt but I try to boot from ... looks like it do nothing for round about 15min (my Breakfast ;-)). Power button and the two side LEDs are red without flashing.

Will download an try again...

You're welcome.
In SMPlayer, just set video out to use x11, it should play videos with normal colors and a bit less CPU usage than mpv.

Reactions: rSl
Thanks for the nice welcome ;-)
WiFi works, mobile via internal modem not for me.
Firefox plays youtube videos... but is a bit slower than Chromium on pyraos.
Plug in HDMI goes dark on all screen.
Is autostart xfce possible or is there an "alpha reason" why not... before I try to setup. ;-)
Is xrdp inside? Needs xrdp a second user like the newer debian or can I use the same user for the Pyra and xrdp?

Thanks a lot.

I can't test modem for now as I have no sim card.
Yup, with my first tests I though Firefox wasn't able to play Youtube but it's not the case.
For me, HDMI works but the screen is rotated, I think etnaviv driver has to be used for now for HDMI.
For X autostart:
1- edit /etc/slim.conf to have this in right lines:
Use:
Code:
login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session
default_user        name_of_your_user
auto_login          yes

2- edit /etc/rc.d/rc.4 and add this after rc.4.local section:
Code:
# Try to use SLiM login manager.  This comes first, because if SLiM is
# installed, then the user probably wants to use it by default:
if [ -x /usr/bin/slim ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/slim
fi

3- edit /etc/inittab and change to 4:
Code:
id:4:initdefault:

For xrdp I don't know. As a client you have remmina pre-installed.
As a server you can install it with sbopkg.

Thanks for your answer. I will try a bit more tomorrow morning.

I have play around with the Letux stuff. If I start with a plugged HDMI Monitor I get a "mixed" screenresolution.
LCD has 720x1280, HDMI has 1366x768 or 1920x1080... I get a "portrait" LCD screen and a "normal one" (the same on both devices) with 720x768 or 720x1080... the non used area is black. Very strange effect.
fbset tells the displayed mixed resolutions. Have try to correct but without success at this time.

For X autostart:
Works ... thanks a lot.

For me, HDMI works but the screen is rotated, I think etnaviv driver has to be used for now for HDMI.
Mmm, now hotplug kills the GUI. Ends in a console login screen. After a new login, startxfce4 runs to an error...
Plug HDMI before boot ends in the console after login and startxfce4 gives the same errors...
HDMI test is closed at this time ;-)

And now ... :-(
After a long periode of "play around", change any xfce settings (appearance only), I try to restart Firefox... Slackware crashes with a black screen.
Reboot gives a rootfs error and ends in the "single user shell"... the card no longer boots correct. :-(
I will create a new one. Comming back soon ;-)

In this case, boot on PyraOS and do a fsck -y on the SD card. This should repair the card.

In this case, boot on PyraOS and do a fsck -y on the SD card. This should repair the card.
I have try and also "check partition" via gpared. Check freeze after round about 75%.
Not sure. The Pyra was really hot. Maybe it is a termical problem.

After the Pyra was cooled down, repairing the card was successful but it wasn't. The card no longer boot.
New card 64GB. I try to expand rootfs with gparted... card no longer boot up. Expand partition is possible, or not?
Now next card 16GB but bigger wouldt be better ;-)

The only time I've touched the filesystem, the card went unbootable.
I use a hns's makesd modified version.

I try makesd for any letux variants. This use the complete card because is not an image...
Is your makesd avilable to create slackware?
My 16GB card is also gone. If I think about...
crash at the same point and kills the fs...
I setup network and so on as root. Create a newuser and set autostart... reboot.
Start Firefox ends with a black screen ... I wait a long time, no activity ,no way found for an other shutdown) ... switch off the pyra... card no longer boot.

There's much more stuff than makesd, like slackware-specific stuff aside. What I should do is integrate that in a newer makesd but it's not planned yet.
What is the brand/model of your card ? I'm myself using SanDisk extreme pro.
The alpha I've created still runs flawlessly.
Didn't worked much on the next version, should have time in the next few days.

The only time I've touched the filesystem, the card went unbootable.
I use a hns's makesd modified version.
I get SD cards going unbootable quite frequently when I do gparted operations on other disks. It's incredibly annoying and I have to reflash, but i'd love to learn how to fix it, eg set the bootable flag. So far no luck. I too use Sandisc mostly.

After what felt like year using my pyra as a dusk collector, I'm looking around a bit again. With my passionate dislike of systemd, I logically ended up here.
Now I'm just to stupid to find the current image and the hints how to install it.

Back