Slackware for Pandora 14.0

quartercast

Hey Linux-SWAT, great job with slackware, I just installed using your wiki article and the tutorial (had to do a couple of things differently to get it to boot)

I'm having trouble with WIFI, whenever I click to toggle WIFI the LED turns on but the network connection widget says "device not ready (firmware missing)".

When I restart it briefly shows a log with an error about the wireless power management system.

Also I created my user 'q' and I want to edit autoboot.txt on the SD card:

sudo vim autoboot.txt

Sorry, user q is not allowed to execute 'usr/bin/vim autoboot.txt' as root on darkstar

sudo su

Sorry, user q is not allowed to execute '/bin/su' as root on darkstar

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
The sudo in Slackware has the original behavior (as opposed to Ubuntu, Zaxxon etc.) .i.e, you can't use sudo for every command.

What you have to do is to:

su

or

su -

Use su - for package building/management so you'll have the full root environment.

The wifi should work. Which -RC are you using ?

What are the "different" things you did ?

What are the last lines of dmesg ?

quartercast

Last lines of dmesg are about Bluetooth initialization. I'm using RC6.

I followed the tutorial but I found that the steps for GParted are not correct. The tute tells the user to create all partitions in one step, but the SD will be unbootable as Linux_swap will be set as partifion #1 (even if you stepwise add ext2 partition first).

I had to create and apply ext2 partition first, and then create and apply linux-swap partition afterwards.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
I now know why the firmware were missing, and i corrected that.

I'm building the final release.

I will test it a bit before uploading.

quartercast

Yes, I used gparted on zaxxon. Are the firmware files available somewhere for me to cp to the correct folder? I can't download the whole RC again as my bandwidth is limited.

quartercast

Ok - what is the fastest way to open a terminal in slack? I can't find a link on the menu.

quartercast

Cool thanks, wifi is on! On Zaxxon I always had to 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 power rate 54M' to get decent wifi speeds, do I need to do that on slack, how to do that?

quartercast

SL4P 14.0 is released.

I've updated the first post, be sure to check it:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9797-slackware-for-pandora-140/?p=181431

It was _a lot_ more work than expected when i switched from -current to -RC.

Thanks to everybody who contributed.
*Applauds* congrats on making the release! This is like a christmas present for me, thanks for helping me install it as well.

You can add this in the /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh

Add your line right after

/etc/init.d/wl1251-init start
Same in Zaxxon.

(why "power rate" ?)

Also, if you want SFML, grab it (along the OpenAl dependency) here:

http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/index.php?dir=sl4p%2Fsl4p-14.0%2Fpackages%2Fshipped
In SZ I just type it into terminal, in slackware I get:

iwconfig: command not found

According to Dr Google, I must install 'wireless-tools' package?

I don't know about 54M rate, maybe the default data rate is lower? Edit: default is 11Mbps it seems.

Last edited by a moderator: