Slackware for Pandora 14.0

Typing

returns with:

users lp floppy audio video cdrom plugdev power netdev scanner

sudo /usr/bin/pndrefresh.sh
seemed to have no efect

So I put a snes9x PND in /usr/pandora/apps, and sure enough it works! The appdata folder was in /pandora/appdata :)

A few other strange things I've noticed: 1) iwconfig does not seem to work gives "iwconfig: command not found" The wifi is slow - shows to be 1Mb/s, so I wanted to manually adjust.

2) What codecs are supported? Should we install anything else? should we install "community codec "? (but i thought you said not to somewhere else in this thread...)

If sudo /usr/bin/pndrefresh.sh gives nothing, it's ok.

To use iwconfig, you have to use "su" + root password first.

All useful codecs are supported out of the box. No need to install the codec pack, and it may even be harmful.

Your pnd problems are really strange, we'll see with the next -RC.

Btw did you installed SL4P with the .bz2, or ingoreis system ?

Thank you! su + password worked. i had been trying sudo...

I installed using the .bz2 method on the pandora directly, which was pretty fun. Now that i have the PNDs working, I think SL4P will be my daily OS. B)

Some more question about "R'.

I found RKWard which should be a nice graphical frontend for the R Language.

Would be great if you could compile it for SL4P.

That would be what I was looking for then (I think at last).

About the SL4P variant of the "Configbutton" applet of Zaxxon:

It's very good to have those options available with just two clicks.

However, would it be possible to enhance the "Toggle ..." items in a way, that the item itself indicates the status of the toggle (on/off)? Maybe with a different icon for each status? E.g. an overlaid green (on) or red (off) dot? This would help a lot and save two executions of a toggle, just to find out that the toggle was already in the desired state... ;-)

I found RKWard which should be a nice graphical frontend for the R Language.
There is no SlackBuild for it anymore, which is not a good sign (often means that it doesn't compile anymore), but i'll give it a go.

However, would it be possible to enhance the "Toggle ..." items in a way, that the item itself indicates the status of the toggle (on/off)?
Unfortunately no, this is a 100% Xfce menu.

Linux-SWAT: In theory it should still be possible but is some work. And I am not sure how good it would be in the end.

I still haven't tried Slackware and thus didn't experience these Toggle-Items myself, but such a Toggle-Item could modify it's own menu-entry in /usr/share/applications by the use of "sed" depending on a test if the current status is "on" or "off". But that's just a very basic idea and not worked out any further. Of course the updated menu-name (on/off) would only appear if the menu is being closed and opened again.

Edit: Thinking about it ... that mechanism would have to be triggered when the menu is called, because otherwise if the option is turned on/off in a different way (not by using the menu) the wrong status would be shown.

Last edited by a moderator:
^

Great.

Time to start Slackware.

EDIT.

It works.

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that KDE (at least kdelibs + some other) may be needed by RKWard.

--EDIT: the only needed on/off entry in the fast OP menu is usb host.

I've installed KDE alredy and RKWard runs nicely.

Now I have to learn how to use it.

Maybe I need some addons compiled (for psychological statistics).

Hi,

When I want to connect to my wifi.

I can't because I don't know the root password?

I try the same as login startup + pass but it doesn't work.

310061root.jpg

What is it?

i Think in the First Startup and Creating User,have you not press up to give your Username Access to many more.

Forgot to press UP while creating user is bad.

I have in my Slackware same Password for User and Root ;)

maybe the step of pressing "UP" can be automated / skipped in some way? LS, can't you simply modify the responsible script? Or is this more complicated?

Back