Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

f we have one or two cameras in the Pyra, it will be crappy cameras anyway because of size constraints. It's pointless to have lots of megapixels if the camera is crappy anyway --
That's a sign that shitty marketing has worked very well. 8Mp was the state of the art for digital cameras not very long ago, and people saying anything less than that is meh is really nonsensical. And as you said most mobile cameras are really crap, so it's really not about the nb of pixels, rather the quality of the sensor and the optics... and the software/firmware.
Which is exactly why the device should -not- include a camera.  There are plenty of crappy cameras floating around already.  What defines a crappy camera?  Anything with an aperture of less than 10mm.  It has nearly nothing to do with 'megapixels'.

If you/we/they add one or more crappy cameras to this device, then it will also need the software infrastructure to support the crappy cameras for picture taking, storage, video conferencing, etc...

It adds relatively fragile complex hardware.  People will be returning units for failed, scratched or otherwise perceived flaws in the cameras.

For me, having a camera on this device is a -detractor- from it's value.  It is a waste of space, added complication and a security risk.  It removes more value than the cost of the components.

So - no cameras.  None please.

I have no use for a bad camera.

I don't make video-calls, and a I have a real camera when I want to take photographs.

I'd rather not worry about damaging it, or pay any extra for a feature I won't use.

So its a rather weak 'no' from me...

... or we could do it like this :

The Pyra gets delivered with separated coverage for the empty camera sockets as standard Version. (Maybe this lowers the price a little)

And if someone wants the cameras he can order them as an additional option.

He/She would just have to place the camera into the prefabricated sockets by replacing the coverage.

And everyone could live with that =D

Nevertheless space is required for those sockets ... hummm... o well ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure pre-built camera modules exist like that, do they? If not, ED would have to manufacture one himself which may be more trouble than just making a camera standard.

Hmm... those don't list any prices but other ones give prices in the $3-$10 range. Let's say average $6 for the part. Making it modular would save you that cost but is it really worth it? The space it needs to go into still needs to be factored in, if the camera isn't included it's just wasted space, so the only thing you're saving is that $6. Even if it were $10, is it really worth it? I'm sure if it weren't designed to be modular, just a camera on the board, it could be had for even cheaper and smaller. These cameras are both tiny and cheap, I suspect that the major cost difference between having it or not having it will be connecting the wires to the SoC, not for part or for space.

I think the main cost of the camera is not the parts, but effort needed to incorporate it into the design, have the software, extra quality control checks, manufacturing complexity..I can see the value in an onboard camera (video conferencing mainly), but I rather have a device that is more limited, but works, than something that stumbles upon some little problem overlooked because the development team spread itself too thin..  having a camera broadens the appeal, but only if it works perfectly (otherwise you get those reviews complaining of the lousy camera)..maybe it is better to look into the market for usb connected camera's, and see if the design needs something to accomodate those (e.g. something to clip onto)

f we have one or two cameras in the Pyra, it will be crappy cameras anyway because of size constraints. It's pointless to have lots of megapixels if the camera is crappy anyway --
That's a sign that shitty marketing has worked very well. 8Mp was the state of the art for digital cameras not very long ago, and people saying anything less than that is meh is really nonsensical. And as you said most mobile cameras are really crap, so it's really not about the nb of pixels, rather the quality of the sensor and the optics... and the software/firmware.
Which is exactly why the device should -not- include a camera.  There are plenty of crappy cameras floating around already.  What defines a crappy camera?  Anything with an aperture of less than 10mm.  It has nearly nothing to do with 'megapixels'.

If you/we/they add one or more crappy cameras to this device, then it will also need the software infrastructure to support the crappy cameras for picture taking, storage, video conferencing, etc...

It adds relatively fragile complex hardware.  People will be returning units for failed, scratched or otherwise perceived flaws in the cameras.

For me, having a camera on this device is a -detractor- from it's value.  It is a waste of space, added complication and a security risk.  It removes more value than the cost of the components.

So - no cameras.  None please.
Completely agree with Grench again.  I absolutely do not want a camera.  When ED tells us there will have to be a camera, I'll start talking about what kind of camera I want.

It'd feel wastey repeating the reasons again here, so here are my thoughts again. http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14939-some-more-of-my-ideas/page-25#entry299348/URL]

The chances of me using a built in camera, unless it is a rear-facing or rotatable one of admirable quality are almost zilch... Having a single device that does everything is certainly a goal of mine, but no crappy cameras please.

I'd rather have a second USB port.

The chances of me using a built in camera, unless it is a rear-facing or rotatable one of admirable quality are almost zilch... Having a single device that does everything is certainly a goal of mine, but no crappy cameras please.

Ooohh... a whole new list...

Top Ten things I'd rather have on the Pyra than a camera!

Trying to restrict to things that would fit in about the same physical space as a camera...

1. An additional micro USB 2.0 host connector.
  2. An IR blaster/receiver.
  3. Fingerprint reader.
  4. External 802.11 b/g (2.5Ghz) antenna connector.
  5. MicroSD card slot.
  6. Laser pointer.
  7. Superbright LED flashlight.
  8. Trackpoint mouse (eraser nub mouse).
  9. Barometer/altimeter sensor.
  10. Wireless field charger.

No camera please! Almost every device I own has a camera build into it and the only device I am taking photos with is my phone. If I want the photos on my other devices I just copy them and that's it.

Ooohh... a whole new list...

Top Ten things I'd rather have on the Pyra than a camera!

Trying to restrict to things that would fit in about the same physical space as a camera...

1. An additional micro USB 2.0 host connector.
  2. An IR blaster/receiver.
  3. Fingerprint reader.
  4. External 802.11 b/g (2.5Ghz) antenna connector.
  5. MicroSD card slot.
  6. Laser pointer.
  7. Superbright LED flashlight.
  8. Trackpoint mouse (eraser nub mouse).
  9. Barometer/altimeter sensor.
  10. Wireless field charger.

All of those would be better than a camera IMO, but in general:

1. Full USB host would be better
  2. Might as well....
  3. Where?
  4. Yes please!
  5. As long as there's full SDXC too
  6. Not much use, but LAYZORZ!!!!
  7. Could be useful
  8. Yep.
  9. Kinda pointless without GPS, magnetometer
  10. Meh.

That doesn't actually make sense. If someone other than the "self" takes the picture, it ceases to be a selfie.
Since when do memes have to make sense? :p
 They have to make sense to a certain extent for a meme to be able to apply to a subject. The Xzibit meme doesn't work for the concept of selfies.

• Fingerprint reader.
That's even worse of a gimmick than a camera.

-God Ginrai

They have to make sense to a certain extent for a meme to be able to apply to a subject. The Xzibit meme doesn't work for the concept of selfies.
e9bacdd03f67d7f994af46ed56f5751a.jpeg

Have you considered how inconvenient it would be to plug that into the back of the device and scan your fingerprint if you didn't have a flat surface to put it on?

uh... extend it with a short female-male usb cable?

^ true

I'd say that the more likely you are to need feature x while carrying the Pyra in your pocket, the higher priority it should have on the built-in features list.

(also weighted by cost, demand etc)

Back