Abusing Pyra as communication device (needs camera)

SneHebNor

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a handheld computer for communication using e.g. XMPP and SIP over Wifi, but not GSM/LTE. The Pyra seems to be perfect for my needs, only it lacks a front-facing camera for video chat. VGA quality would be sufficient. An external camera would not be very convenient. OTOH, I do not need any gaming related inputs nor sensors, but I don't mind if they are there.

Is there any chance for an updated Pyra with front-facing camera? Maybe at the sacrifice of the gaming stuff?

Cheers

See https://framasphere.org/posts/1820000

The design is pretty fixed at the moment. The case designs, schematics and such will be open-sourced once production goes online, you're free to attempt to hack one in yourself. Otherwise there are some small USB solutions out there you may be able to clip on.

I'd hardly call it abusive to use the Pyra as a communication device. :)

Linux compatibility not yet checked anyway
I bought that exact webcam... or another that looks identical to it. Worked out of the box on my Pandora.
The only problem was the angle is too narrow, it's meant to clip on a monitor half a metre away, not on a screen 12cm in front of your face. I took a very good video of half my face.

The gaming controls are also standarrd keys, just in a different location and layout.

An external camera would not be very convenient.

Agreed. Unfortunately it is the only option we have. The community voted against a camera with a two third majority.

As for camera options. Here are some I have so far:
  • The raspberry pi camera Seems a nice form factor, but lacks proper packaging and there is no interface to connect it to.
  • The mobius camera looks like decent quality in a small package. Not sure if software wise it is easy to stream to desktop with this. It is also not very convenient if you want to take photos with the Pyra in combination with this device.
  • A bunch of semi-silly "spy" cameras. Not really convinced about these either.
  • Bluetooth headset / camera combo. In concept this idea might work reasonably for using it as phone and photo-camera, though it utterly fails for video chat. Also, judged on the videos about this one, the actual device works rather poorly.
  • Another keyring camera
  • Small cameras can be found, but I currently lack the knowledge to turn this into a proper USB addon. (I also don't have any plans to acquire that knowledge for the time being).

Would there be enough space for a camera if one desoldered a USB-port and removed small parts of the case?

According to the specs, the Pyra is 14cm wide. I have a Logitech Webcam C510, that I took out of its case. The PCB measures circa 6x1cm, and the camera protrudes from it about 0.5cm.
Judging from this picture [1] the PCB might just fit into the display hinge if you remove the screw (maybe enlarge the hole for the camera), and if there is enough room besides the display cable.

There are surely webcams with smaller PCBs out there.

[1] https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/ubergall/gallery-images/Prototype-GPDXD.jpg

According to the specs, the Pyra is 14cm wide. I have a Logitech Webcam C510, that I took out of its case. The PCB measures circa 6x1cm, and the camera protrudes from it about 0.5cm.
Judging from this picture [1] the PCB might just fit into the display hinge if you remove the screw (maybe enlarge the hole for the camera), and if there is enough room besides the display cable.

There are surely webcams with smaller PCBs out there.

[1] https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/ubergall/gallery-images/Prototype-GPDXD.jpg

You are neglecting the 3rd dimension. That case area is roughly 3-4mm deep.

if you remove the screw
I wanted to remove that screw on mine for an idea I had (nothing useful or interesting), however I have concerns about the display cable being in there and getting caught due to less pressure, possibly damaging it. I may do it anyway.

i'd maybe go for a very simple USB sensor/camera on my pyra, very low power draw, small, even if it gives black&white images or somewhat blurry ones. not sure where to find such a camera.

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a handheld computer for communication using e.g. XMPP and SIP over Wifi, but not GSM/LTE. The Pyra seems to be perfect for my needs, only it lacks a front-facing camera for video chat. VGA quality would be sufficient. An external camera would not be very convenient. OTOH, I do not need any gaming related inputs nor sensors, but I don't mind if they are there.

Is there any chance for an updated Pyra with front-facing camera? Maybe at the sacrifice of the gaming stuff?

Cheers

Honestly, I feel like you want a different device. The Pyra's niche is that it is both a gaming device and a portable computer. Saying "take out the gaming controls" is basically the same as saying you don't actually want the Pyra.

Besides, the reason a front-facing camera is not possible is due to the entire top half being taken up by the screen. (which is also why the speakers are in the bottom half) Removing the gaming controls will not reduce the footprint of that screen.

Looks like I read over that part. Personally I don't really care about video chat, taking pictures is much more important for me.

If taking pictures is important to you, then why not get a real camera? The pictures will be much better quality, and you can take your SD out of your camera and stick it in your Pyra whenever you want to do anything with the images.

-God Ginrai

Hi,

Cheers

Honestly, I feel like you want a different device. The Pyra's niche is that it is both a gaming device and a portable computer. Saying "take out the gaming controls" is basically the same as saying you don't actually want the Pyra.

If taking pictures is important to you, then why not get a real camera? The pictures will be much better quality, and you can take your SD out of your camera and stick it in your Pyra whenever you want to do anything with the images.
There are plenty of applications for taking pictures where video quality is not vital. To name a few
  • Capturing meeting notes on a whiteboard.
  • Capturing information and/or placing a reminder (e.g. for products in a store).
  • QR-code scanning.
  • Capturing the situation of an accident.
  • Taking a picture in cases you don't have your camera with you. I don't want to carry around a laptop, phone, camera and gaming handheld all the time (that's what a Pyra is for).
If you think long enough, then I am sure you can find some more applications, but I think you get the point.

You are neglecting the 3rd dimension. That case area is roughly 3-4mm deep.
The camera doesn't have to sit IN the hinge. Maybe it would be even better to put the PCB behind the lid, and only make a hole for the camera module.
That would solve the thickness problem, minimize the amount of case modification and simplify the access to a USB port. A modified (3D-printed?) thicker lid cover could even house the camera, but as a simple first step a piece of cardboard and some double-sided tape might do the job.

To me the hinge seems to be the only reasonable place to integrate a camera into the device, without giving up on the mobility.

• Capturing meeting notes on a whiteboard.
I remember trying to take a picture of a whiteboard using a mobile phone camera (a few years ago admittedly) and it turned out to be very hard to (a) find a spot to take the whole whiteboard and (b) ensure nothing was obscured by reflections.

Back