Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

^ true

I'd say that the more likely you are to need feature x while carrying the Pyra in your pocket, the higher priority it should have on the built-in features list.

(also weighted by cost, demand etc)
Hence why a camera should have a higher priority on the built-in features list than a fingerprint scanner.

-God Ginrai

^ true

I'd say that the more likely you are to need feature x while carrying the Pyra in your pocket, the higher priority it should have on the built-in features list.

(also weighted by cost, demand etc)
Hence why a camera should have a higher priority on the built-in features list than a fingerprint scanner.

-God Ginrai
Because a finger print scanner is completely useless and a camera only almost completely.

Whoa, a fingerprint scanner can be used as a scroll wheel?  That sounds very handy on a handheld computer now.  That and it'd be fun protecting certain files with a verified fingerprint.

^ Why?

Its not as if you can get your fingerprint read without your knowledge by sneaky malware.

^ Why?

Its not as if you can get your fingerprint read without your knowledge by sneaky malware.
I think the reason for paranoia is the fear that an embed fingerprint scanner might actually be used for security. Or, that is, non-security.

^ Why?

Not sure exactly how it works. Won't there have to be a digital copy of you fingerprint on board?

^ Why?

Not sure exactly how it works. Won't there have to be a digital copy of you fingerprint on board?
not sure why this would be a problem...  unless you always wear gloves (making the use of the fingerprint scanner somewhat cumbersome) or obsessively wipe down the surface of your device with a cloth,  you're likely to be leaving several analogue copies of your fingerprints on it anyway ;)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily. I believe that's how old fingerprint scanners used to work, just take two pictures and compare them, but newer ones do some processing on the image and generate a hash based on the pattern of loops and the like. Just like a password, you can't get the original image back from the hash.That being said, a scanner is JUST a specialized camera, and whether it uses images or processed hashes is entirely up to the software.

Whoa, a fingerprint scanner can be used as a scroll wheel?  That sounds very handy on a handheld computer now.  That and it'd be fun protecting certain files with a verified fingerprint.
Or you could have a trackpad instead which can do the same thing and can also better emulate a mouse than nubs can.

Like I said: Fingerprint Scanner - Pointless.

-God Ginrai

Or you could have a trackpad instead which can do the same thing and can also better emulate a mouse than nubs can.
 A trackpad on a small device like that would be very impractical.
Not really. And I wasn't specifically supporting a trackpad. I was saying that a trackpad would do the same thing he was considering the fingerprint scanner for but would be more versatile. The point being: "Why get a fingerprint scanner when other things can do what you want it to do and more?"

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. And I wasn't specifically supporting a trackpad. I was saying that a trackpad would do the same thing he was considering the fingerprint scanner for but would be more versatile. The point being: "Why get a fingerprint scanner when other things can do what you want it to do and more?"
Alright. The reason I would not support a small trackpad on such a device is because I have seen it on a Pandora-sized ARM-based PC in Japan (a couple of years ago, running Ubuntu, in Japan). They had no mouse but a small trackpad instead for the mouse and it was way worse than the Pandora nubs to control anything on screen. It sucked really, really bad.  

Alright. The reason I would not support a small trackpad on such a device is because I have seen it on a Pandora-sized ARM-based PC in Japan (a couple of years ago, running Ubuntu, in Japan). They had no mouse but a small trackpad instead for the mouse and it was way worse than the Pandora nubs to control anything on screen. It sucked really, really bad.
Yea, but that could have just been a bad trackpad, drivers, or both. Like I said tho', the point was to prove there were better options for what Tenka was interested in doing.

-God Ginrai

you could use the mouse by moving your thumb around on nothing.
Why would I want that?

Its expensive, difficult to make and  program for and no better than having real, physical buttons and nubs.

you could use the mouse by moving your thumb around on nothing.
Why would I want that?

Its expensive, difficult to make and  program for and no better than having real, physical buttons and nubs.
That's true, I wanted to suggest the sillier idea.  It looked like magic when it was new though.

Camera is absolutly necessary for those who don't have a smartphone like me and don't want to carry another device.

I don't undestand why some people don't want to have it and how you can carry a huge smartphone with your Pandora?

I don't use a camera frequently, but the camera would be a big advencement for the new Pandora aka Pyra and a camera can be useful occasionally. I really want to use my Pyra as a smartphone with a little phone without camera.

And at this price a lot of people wouldn't buy it because it hasn't camera.

Back