Pyra should have a female tripod connector built in to the case.

Should Pyra have a standard tripod connector built in to the case?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 80.0%

• Total voters

Well, I would like to see some kind of a do-it-all computer in the future that had one... I don't see it really being useful on the Pyra, however.

That's actually a nice idea Mr Loon
Thankyou :)

A minor problem is that you'd need a very specific tripod for it to be sturdy enough to still use the keyboard while using it - if it's on the base, the top will move too. So hrm!
If you were planning to use the Pyra keyboard I'd think that holding the device in your hand would be the best bet, however this idea is for when you would not use the built in keyboard, e.g. when watching a movie (especially with more than 1 viewer), when using an external keyboard etc.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea.. Adding the threading and plastic supports that would be needed to handle the weight and allow proper use(typing and such) without cracking the plastic would take up a lot of space that would result in a much thicker device or reduction of PCB / component space inside the device..
That would depend upon the design, one possibility would be to add a thin band of metal around the base to add rigidity & strength, the tripod connection could be welded to this. Also consider digital cameras, there are plenty of 'slimline' cameras that manage to include a tripod connector.

Why not simply put the device on the table/bed/whatever? 'Serious' photographers would never use a small camera. But if you want to take a photo there is still the lid hinge to adjust the camera to the desired angle.

You could of course put the Pyra on a desk / bed / table etc. but it would be much more ergonomic if the device could easily be raised to an optimal position. Think of sitting at a desk with an external keyboard & mouse, with the screen raised by 10" you'd no longer have to hunch up to view it. Think of sitting back for a nice long movie without having to hunch up or hold the device for 2 hours at the desired height etc.

As for the photography I imagined Pyra being used as a companion device for a high end camera, i.e. for image previewing / on site editing / on site uploading etc. as per here

the screw on a tripod extends 6 mm. you would have to increase the case thickness by at least that much to have the thread internal to the Pyra, or if you had an external plate fitted to the Pyra it wouldnt sit flat at other times.

how about you try this device from aldi? maybe other places have similar??

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/saturday-08-march-2014/saturday-detail-wk10/ps/p/sheet-music-stand-or-universal-tablet-stand/

I like the idea...always thought my phone should have one too (note2).

Would it be inexpensive?

I think Pyra could be a great tool for film making. As a portable assist, scene management, logging/crude editing, etc.

I have this mini tripode here for similar stuff:

g_06013223.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the screw on a tripod extends 6 mm. you would have to increase the case thickness by at least that much to have the thread internal to the Pyra
Unless the case was thicker than 6mm, which is fairly likely IMHO. 

Instead of building it into the Pyra just make an accessory with clamps on each side of the Pyra with a smooth, strong base that the tripod would attach to. Make the design right and maybe you can have the clamps fold in so you have a cellphone-sized piece of plastic or metal in your pocket when you're done with it rather than having the clamps sticking out.

I would like a male tripod plug there. I know no one gonna implement that, but "just saying".

Instead of building it into the Pyra just make an accessory with clamps on each side of the Pyra with a smooth, strong base that the tripod would attach to. Make the design right and maybe you can have the clamps fold in so you have a cellphone-sized piece of plastic or metal in your pocket when you're done with it rather than having the clamps sticking out.
If it's made right this sounds nice enough.  It would probably be much easier to attach it to the Pyra, lacking the need to spin screws.

I would like a male tripod plug there. I know no one gonna implement that, but "just saying".
Could you tell me exactly why you think people aren't going to agree with you?  If it is because you think your idea isn't agreeable at all, then why should you approve of it?  Are you different?

Considering the amount of work and time that went into the TV out cables, I would not think an accessory would be a solution. The main thing takes way to much work/time me thinks.

It would be nice to have it mountable by standard if price and condition could be reasonable against the more important things around it.

It is nice to have the ability to secure it on something, but not really fundamentally needed as standard IMHO. Its portability already makes it good enough.

Users going for uses that need it secured somewhere can always find alternatives already on the market to attach it

But I voted an ´yes´ ^_^

Could you tell me exactly why you think people aren't going to agree with you?  If it is because you think your idea isn't agreeable at all, then why should you approve of it?  Are you different?
I count that as a insult. I just gave my opinion with a note that i am not asking to implement it as it sound stupid.
"Some Apple product users wait for those words for years", so go ask them instead.

(Anyway i meant to melt the male tripod connector i had from something into the case of Pyra myself. Unfortunately its not so easy with female plugs.)

the screw on a tripod extends 6 mm. you would have to increase the case thickness by at least that much to have the thread internal to the Pyra
Unless the case was thicker than 6mm, which is fairly likely IMHO. 
if you dont intend to increase the case dimensions then you will need a large void in the case for the tripod socket to "exist"in. this would mean a large hole in the battery or the main board depending on where you think this will live. just the metal socket on my canon camera is 10 mm diameter then it would need several mm of support around it, maybe even gussets to stiffen it so it doesnt snap out of the case... the socket would need to be centerally located to support the weight of the Pyra and screen. it cant go in the rear two corners because of the shoulder buttons that leaves the front two corners with the whole weight of the pyra needing to be supported from just 1 corner.  going to need a lot of reinforcing.

i cant see it being a practical addition.

That is because it -isn't- practical to anyone who can think in 3 dimensions.

Camera lugs are 1/4" deep 1/4-20 threaded captured nuts. To handle the torque, it would need to be nearly 1/2" wide and centrally located. The battery must occupy this space.

The Pyra won't have a camera. There is absolutely no sense in putting a tripod lug in it.

That is because it -isn't- practical to anyone who can think in 3 dimensions.

Camera lugs are 1/4" deep 1/4-20 threaded captured nuts. To handle the torque, it would need to be nearly 1/2" wide and centrally located. The battery must occupy this space.

The Pyra won't have a camera. There is absolutely no sense in putting a tripod lug in it.
yep thats what i said.. after i wrote this i then read in another thread that ED said the will be no camera.

Back