Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

I still find it a stretch that people , at the very least a significantly amount, took sometimes as "maybe" or "one time", especially with the followup questions.
 See below:

Honestly, I took the "sometimes" vote in that poll to mean "maybe". I think that is more of a flaw in how the poll was constructed (with a lack of options). It makes using the results as a hard argument either way very difficult.

So you say you would run 16 miles in clunky Hiking shoes, or try to climb a mountain path in running shoes with no grip?  
Honestly, I thought that your choices of shoes weren't polarizing enough as well. I think it would have been better to use pairs like "slippers and steel-toed boots" or "high heels and snow-shoes".

-God Ginrai

I think a camera is not an undesirable feature, not really to make it more like a smartphone, but rather to make it more like a laptop.
Considering laptops would most likely have the camera in the inside, I don't think that's the case.
Yes, if the Pyra 2 has only one camera, I would prefer it to be on the inside. You could still make a picture with that if you want (no preview screen though), while with a rear camera there is no way to do video conferencing.

Yes, if the Pyra 2 has only one camera, I would prefer it to be on the inside. You could still make a picture with that if you want (no preview screen though), while with a rear camera there is no way to do video conferencing.
IMHO, unless it has cameras both inside and outside, any camera on a gaming device better point outwards. You are completely killing any gaming use the camera could have by pointing it inwards.

-God Ginrai

I would like to hack in a front and rear camera with a physical switch to flip between them, but I won't ask ED to include it. I'm just hoping there are all the necessary connections accessible on the board.

IMHO, unless it has cameras both inside and outside, any camera on a gaming device better point outwards. You are completely killing any gaming use the camera could have by pointing it inwards.

-God Ginrai
I don't consider the Pandora or the Pyra to be primarily a gaming device, no more than my laptop is a gaming device. The fact that the arrow keys and home/end/pgup/pgdn keys happen to be excellent game controls is just a nice bonus :)

Well, I read it but:

According to wiktionnary (the first site I found)

computer (plural computers)

So yes smartphonse are a computer and since it is pocketable it's a pocket computer. It's just a matter of name, what is the xperia play?
...and so your microwave oven is a computer, so if we add a camera and phone capabilities to it, we may dual market it to people who wants to replace their smartphone?
So debian is a smartphone OS? Or smartphone is a computer? Well, we all know the truth, no matter what words we put on it.

ffs please lock this disaster......its like watching a train wreck. no matter how much i want to stop reading i just have to  keep reading to see how blatantly pigheaded some people can be.

18% some how becomes 20% and is "a lot" well that leaves 4 times "a lot "that dont want it. ( 80%)

ED said no, give it a rest. look at the 3D printed case, there is no room anyway.....
Since I am a nice dude let's assume that "sometimes" is a mix of "real sometimes" and "maybe=I don't know", well let's just assume that it's full of "I don't know" even if it is named "sometimes" and even if since there is only 73 votes the most "I don't know" people probably didn't vote.

Well we don't count "sometimes" since we assume that it's "I don't know": There is now 14 "yes", 28 "no" and a total of 42. Which is 33% of Yes without "sometimes". I don't know about you but to me 33% is still A LOT. And it's certainly not  a niche or a sparse amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
See below:

-God Ginrai
at the very least a significantly amount
"Maybe" wasn't a option and he had a followup question to what he meant.

If he thought the poll was lacking (an) option(s), he should have say so like

everyone else.

That said, like I said (lol), it still shows interest.

I can just imagine trying to take a picture blindly and with the way I would have to

hold it. :lol:

Kind of like saying you can use the rear camera for video conferencing by turning it back and forth or

by using a mirror. :lol:

A rear camera would differently be used more.

I would like to hack in a front and rear camera with a physical switch to flip between them,
Why a physical switch?

The only use for a camera would be for a program like Skype or for web chatting. Which I can't see a lot of people getting behind. A camera on the outside would seem clunky and finicky an inside camera could be placed below the screen on the hinge bit that cause complications. Granted as much as I'd love. Video chat with my girlfriend my opinion seems to be the minority would a camera be nice? Yes. Does it break the deal. No it just makes it a tiny bit harder to replace my laptop with the pyra.

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

I don't consider the Pandora or the Pyra to be primarily a gaming device, no more than my laptop is a gaming device. The fact that the arrow keys and home/end/pgup/pgdn keys happen to be excellent game controls is just a nice bonus :)
It's more equivalent to a gaming laptop compare to other UMPCs. That and the fact some people keep shoving it down throats that it primarily a UMPC + gaming device. :lol:

No, what you wrote in that sentence didn't just refer to Moxie, if that is what you intended to say, then you should construct your statements to be more clear.
Thank you for the lesson, I thought the fact that I was quoting Moxie was enough.

No, what you wrote in that sentence didn't just refer to Moxie, if that is what you intended to say, then you should construct your statements to be more clear.
Thank you for the lesson, I thought the fact that I was quoting Moxie was enough.
One would hope it would be, but then you ruined it all by adding your own comments.

Damn, hard to be right these days! B)

You may not. But that doesn't change what it is. The Pandora was designed as a successor to the GP2X, a homebrew gaming handheld. They added a keyboard to make emulation of retro computer systems better. The only reason the Pandora is able to function as a UMPC, in addition to the gaming handheld it was designed to be, is because someone from TI came and offered to set the Pandora team up with the OMAP back when they were planning on using a much less powerful Freescale i.MX chip. Certainly, the Pandora works as a great UMPC, but you cannot deny that it is a gaming handheld first and foremost.

See below:

-God Ginrai
at the very least a significantly amount
"Maybe" wasn't a option and he had a followup question to what he meant.If he thought the poll was lacking (an) option(s), he should have say so like

everyone else.

That said, like I said (lol), it still shows interest.
You're confusing "how it should be read" with "how people will read it". You have to be very specific about things or people will likely just say "close enough" and go with an alternate definition.

Honestly, I think that even if there were a lot of people who voted sometimes thinking they would switch back and forth hadn't even considered all the effort switching actually takes. (Shut off phone, remove battery, take out SIM, replace battery, shut off pyra, remove battery, insert SIM, replace battery)

-God Ginrai

Honestly, I think that even if there were a lot of people who voted sometimes thinking they would switch back and forth hadn't even considered all the effort switching actually takes. (Shut off phone, remove battery, take out SIM, replace battery, shut off pyra, remove battery, insert SIM, replace battery)

-God Ginrai
Well, it's not like they will be doing that every second. :lol: At least they have a choice. At least they don't have to carry both if they don't want/need too. Also, people can use more than one SIM if they want to.

Back