Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

Well, it's not like they will be doing that every second. :lol: At least they have a choice. At least they don't have to carry both if they don't want/need too. Also, people can use more than one SIM if they want to.
My point is: "Does everyone who voted for that realize that they would have to repeat that process whenever they wanted to switch?"

-God Ginrai

Why a physical switch?
I haven't had the best experience switching between front and rear-facing cameras in software. I would like a tiny switch that I can push one way or the other before I open whichever program I plan to access one of the the cameras with. Plus it seemed like an easy solution to having two cameras when we might only have one connector available to us.

I haven't had the best experience switching between front and rear-facing cameras in software. I would like a tiny switch that I can push one way or the other before I open whichever program I plan to access one of the the cameras with. Plus it seemed like an easy solution to having two cameras when we might only have one connector available to us.
I still think a working software switch is best and it is less hardware to worry about.
  :lol:
Don't have much experience in this (especially not internationally), but are these cost free? I know of business contracts which include a free additional sim, but they are for data connections only.
No personal experience,so I can't really tell you, but I think you would have to pay for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted "No" because the Internet doesn't need more videos taken with a potato :lol:

In all seriousness, never really used the camera on my phone much (why is it that these things seem to get crappier as the years go on... an old beast Motorola 1.5MP camera performed better at most scenarios than most current "smartphones" (which need software bloat to makeup for crumby sensors)).
Orly? Named this "beast" of a phone.

Initially answered NO but now with 3G I switched to Yes. The potential usage for me would be scanning the bitcoin QR-code. Still not essential, but rather nice to have. And I agree a physical cover is absolutely necessary for it.

This late in development I doubt it will get one put in.

Didn't ED say somewhere that he would like to leave the necessary traces available so we can hack in our own?
That would be a nice compromise, just most people have to wait to see how it's done. I wonder what censor and how much bulge.Plus, he can still sell that version later.

The case design is already completed, isn't it?

This question is moot if so.

I would not want one anyway even if it were not finished though. No need to slow down the production timetable.

This seems like a major shortcoming...
I don't really see it that way, but I also don't see the Pyra as a phone replacement.
Real phones don't have cameras.  They are used for speaking and listening to others.  I love my "old" reliable landline phones.

Camera: nice to have, not essential.

Perhaps in Pyra 2.
I will vote no then as well, unless there is a physical switch that can be used to disconnect it.

Oh look, the thread is back...

Yeah, the Pyra is sure to take some flak from the masses for not having a camera. It is one of those checkbox features that people will use to disqualify a product if it doesn't have it. For the Pyra it was the lack of a phone and gps, for the Pyra it will be the lack of a camera.

Downside is that most USB cameras add a pretty ugly bulge to the unit. I certainly would like some solution as it would be most useful for scanning QR codes as well as capturing receipts, whiteboard content and tasks and perhaps even video calls.

I don't use QR codes or make video calls.  For the others I write them down and make notes (I always carry a pocket sized paperback notebook) so that I can figure out details that I might overlook or forget, especially when it comes to dry erase boards.  Others probably have more use for a camera than I do, since for me they are for evidence collection, interesting visual stuff, and art.

I do wonder how difficult it would be to DIY, or maybe find a way to adapt a Project Ara camera to the Pyra.  Both would still probably add a bulge. 

What about a "camera" stick? Ed can include it in a bundle and avoid the "donot have camera" issue for some people. Just saying...

Back