Shortest newspost ever... for now!

Last edited:
I wish we could report people for fear mongering, this is ridiculous. The project is not dead.

It is not, but I certainly understand that some people might think that.
The lack of big updates can appear as if the project is stagnating a bit.

The last hurdles always cost a lot of time.

Ah, well, I want to make a proper newspost with that, but if you want some news:
  • New mainboard protoype PCB has arrived (with all known fixes and improved Wifi) and is currently being populated by Nikolaus.
  • CPU Board fixes to improve the memory power traces done. Already simulated by Juliano and looking great, only one small area left to improve.
As soon as I find the time I'll make a proper newspost.
But just because I don't post anything doesn't mean nothing happens.

Seems the kernel mailing list only covers one side of development. I'm anticipating that news post even more now, although I'm aware you'll have a bit of work covering shop orders after black friday.

irony:

Come on, be fair. He's a young member on this board, he never has this little sweet sore pain in the background, three or more years to wait for the Pandora. He never had the opportunity to learn or experience that kind of patience.

the other day i was linking to a thread that was over three years old. (in which i posted, obvs.) i feel old

[edit] oh, but now i feel better, i didn't start contributing to the thread until two years ago.

With "young" i mean not the age, i mean joining this board. Sorry, for bad translation from german.

Thomas

irony:

Come on, be fair. He's a young member on this board, he never has this little sweet sore pain in the background, three or more years to wait for the Pandora. He never had the opportunity to learn or experience that kind of patience.

This is the problem with most of the guys here. You don't know anything.
I am following this board and its predecessor since 2007. I have an old account that i am no longer using. (lost password and email)

are you... he who must not be named?

No, i am not DerJochen.

But just because I don't post anything doesn't mean nothing happens.

Don't get me wrong. A LOT of work has be done in the past 6 month. But what is the progress? What has been finished?

They are making progress (admittedly not as fast as some Chinese companies), last time i was holding a working unit in my hands (at Gamescom 2016), the case for example had some huge problems. The hinge was extremely lose, the shoulder buttons where unusable and so on.

And now these issues are solved.

Things are slowly getting better, also on the hardware inside the case.

New mainboard protoype PCB has arrived (with all known fixes and improved Wifi) and is currently being populated by Nikolaus.

I hope the pyra ships before the GPD WIN 2 (I would be tempted to buy one)

Don't get me wrong. A LOT of work has be done in the past 6 month. But what is the progress? What has been finished?
In the beginning of the project you make major leaps forward and get BIG news items. Stuff like, "we selected the display and processor", "we have a prototype case now", "we assembled the unit for the first time", "it starts up!" As the development cycle nears production it becomes all about fixing small details. Now news becomes of the sort of "adjusted the spacing between the shoulder buttons", "adjust the timing in the driver, it is a bit more stable now".

This late-stage news is less exciting if you are not into the technical details of it. It is important work and unfortunately takes the majority of the time (i.e. the 80-20 rule). The progress is that a lot of minor issues have been fixed all over the place.

If anything, the lack of big updates is an indication that we are in the final stages and on the way towards production. I have a hunch that it takes about two years from the first prototype to the point of production. From most companies you never get to see that journey.

Last edited:

All of the case (except for final shoulder button tweaks, but I've now shown them EXACTLY how to approach that and my contact will take care it's being done properly with 2 - 3 visits per week), a lot of small bugs and issues in the mainboard has been fixed, the mainboard should now be the final version, the CPU Board has the 4GB RAM issue probably fixed (at least the simulations tell us that, real life test needs to be done though), a cooling solution has been developed and is working properly.

What do you expect to happen within 6 month? The last few % of a project are ALWAYS the one that need the longest.

How do you think development works? You produce a mainboard and then know all of the issues right away?
The ones we had were very well hidden. First, you need to encounter them. Then find out whether it's hardware or software or if a software workaroung would be possible.
Then find out what exactly is the issue. Then think of a fix - and make sure it doesn't affect anything else.
If the fix can be manually applied to the board: Great, then we can test it right away.
If not, then we need to change the PCB design and try to find all other issues first as well, as you don't want hundreds of mainboard revisions.

And when almost everything has been tried and all known issues have been fixed, you can finally produce the new mainboard and test whether they work or not.

It's a handful of users working in their free time on this! Except for Nikolaus, but he does mainly hardware design and while he has a pretty good knowledge on software too, he cannot find all issues there are.

Honestly, looking back what has been fixed during the last six months, it's quite a lot, even if you don't see any immediate new hardware revision.

I would like to be apple to play on my Shiny new Pyra, but until then i quite enjoy my GPD WIN :) Crysis and GTA San Andreas on the Go...
So i have lots of time,
To make a estimation how many time i have: How long can a GPD WIN last ?? Are they known to fell off after some time ??
My Device works still great even if its got some Windows Updates, but i ditnt expekt its to last that long as my Pandora..

Back