• Double Hex

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • pinned Torx (* with a . in the middle) a hell to remove

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 21 13.2%

• Total voters

In the future, you could use tamper resistant Torx Plus
having five lobes rather than six and a solid post in the center.
Just found that on Wikipedia. I hope I'll never have to see one of those although I suspect they'll either be in Microsoft's or Nindendo's next console... :D

OrR said:
In the future, you could use tamper resistant Torx Plus
having five lobes rather than six and a solid post in the center.
Just found that on Wikipedia. I hope I'll never have to see one of those although I suspect they'll either be in Microsoft's or Nindendo's next console... :D
Nintendo seems to not want it's consoles impossible to get into. Before I had my tri-wing screwdriver I used a normal slotted one that was made for fixing glasses and it worked almost as well. I don't know what their big consoles had but since the GBA they've used those tri-wings, if they didn't want them to be opened you think they would have found something more tamper resistant by now. I know the NES carts had something horrendous on some of them but GBA has the tri-wing.

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
if they didn't want them to be opened
They would use plastic welding and seal the case shut.
They would use cases that snap together, like the Creative Zen, and are a bitch to dismantle.
Or they would glue it together somehow, and maybe fill it with epoxy as well.

lulzfish said:
second exodous said:
if they didn't want them to be opened
They would use plastic welding and seal the case shut.
They would use cases that snap together, like the Creative Zen, and are a bitch to dismantle.
Or they would glue it together somehow, and maybe fill it with epoxy as well.
Yeah, I guess so, but they would still need them to be opened to service them under warrenty.

Or they would make them like the mac mini where you need a special tool to push the device onto. Lots of ways, see, Nintendo wants you to open their stuff.

second exodous said:
Nintendo seems to not want it's consoles impossible to get into. Before I had my tri-wing screwdriver I used a normal slotted one that was made for fixing glasses and it worked almost as well. I don't know what their big consoles had but since the GBA they've used those tri-wings, if they didn't want them to be opened you think they would have found something more tamper resistant by now. I know the NES carts had something horrendous on some of them but GBA has the tri-wing.
The gamecube had a non-standard bolt of some kind. I went online to figure out where I could buy some tips for it and found the following suggestion: take a cheap pen, remove the ink and tip part of the pen (so you are left with the shell), melt the open end with a lighter, and then jam it down over the screw. It worked every time, and all it cost me was a couple of 5 cent pens.
There was a point to this story, but I lost it somewhere along the way.

edit: fixed messed up quote.

WizardStan said:
second exodous said:
The gamecube had a non-standard bolt of some kind. I went online to figure out where I could buy some tips for it and found the following suggestion: take a cheap pen, remove the ink and tip part of the pen (so you are left with the shell), melt the open end with a lighter, and then jam it down over the screw. It worked every time, and all it cost me was a couple of 5 cent pens.

I did the pen melting trick for a few NES carts to replace the battery. They sell those screw drivers at lik-sang but they're really expensive.

second exodous said:
WizardStan said:
second exodous said:

I did the pen melting trick for a few NES carts to replace the battery. They sell those screw drivers at lik-sang but they're really expensive.

*sold - Lik-Sang was driven out of business by Sony in 2006 if you don't remember. Sad to see them go...luckily most modding kits for various consoles these days come with the needed tools. Tri-wings are a bitch.

fischju2000 said:
second exodous said:
WizardStan said:
second exodous said:

*sold - Lik-Sang was driven out of business by Sony in 2006 if you don't remember. Sad to see them go...luckily most modding kits for various consoles these days come with the needed tools. Tri-wings are a bitch.
Really? Man, I am out of the loop. I haven't opened a NES cart for years though. Maybe I'm thinking of play-asia, I don't know.

Back