• Double Hex

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • pinned Torx (* with a . in the middle) a hell to remove

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 21 13.2%

• Total voters

Alec  said:
Just wondering... what's wrong with slot-screws? I personally like them because if I can't find a screwdriver, I can unscrew them with pretty much anything.
Slotted screws aren't self centering, and only "grip" on two faces, so they are much more likely to strip, both due to misalignment and small area of torque application.
Torx are best, as they have six curved force faces, and they have a deep straight wall to keep the driver in place.

Phillips heads are made to slip out of place under excessive torque, so Pozidriv is often used instead.
The problem is Pozidriv can be hard to identify, and if you use a phillips driver in a Pozidriv head, it won't fit correctly.
pozi.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Alec  said:
second exodous said:
Slotted are an option in this poll? Did you really think anyone would want them? I guess if you're going for the steam punk look it would fit. In fact if they're slotted make them brass coloured.

Just wondering... what's wrong with slot-screws? I personally like them because if I can't find a screwdriver, I can unscrew them with pretty much anything.
Philips are pretty much version 2.0 of slotted, whatever you can screw a slotted with you can a philips.

Sad that Torx are loosing, I don't think very many people know how easy it is to get Torx tips and how much longer they last.

I used to install doors on commercial sites and the first time I saw them was putting doors in a detainment center. I had to put a zillion of those things in and I didn't strip a one and the tips(I had very small to quite large) were barely starting to wear out.

second exodous said:
Slotted are an option in this poll? Did you really think anyone would want them? I guess if you're going for the steam punk look it would fit. In fact if they're slotted make them brass coloured.
a good poll doesnt leave any options away,
now im adding even one mor option no one is going to use.

pinned Torx (torx with a pin in the middle so it is the hardest screw i ever had to remove)

Kramy said:
http://en.wikipedia....of_screw_drives

I prefer Robertson. I've never seen a stripped one of those.
I have. It sucks, because when you strip a robertson, all you're left with is a circle. It's impossible to get a grip on that. At least with a concave style slot (like a philips) you can find something to grip on if you've got the right tools, even after a stripping.

DroneB Dev said:

pinned Torx (torx with a pin in the middle so it is the hardest screw i ever had to remove)
Lol, that was what I was used in my post above, it was a jail type place for young adults, they all had that pin. It just called 'security torx'. They are not a pain to remove if you have the tip, I think those are a little harder to find just because they are only used when security is needed. I guess they don't want inmates to have them to break out of jail.

Well then... don't strip it! :p

Do you mean those tools that drill into the screw head and yank it out? I've seen them used on a lot of Phillips screws - but like I said, never had to use it on a Robertson. Heh... lucky me. :lol:

Kramy said:
Well then... don't strip it! :p

Do you mean those tools that drill into the screw head and yank it out? I've seen them used on a lot of Phillips screws - but like I said, never had to use it on a Robertson. Heh... lucky me. :lol:
Robertsons are nice too, I just always called them square heads. My dad is a cabinet installer and he uses 'square heads' on everything he installs. When I get screws from him that all he has so I have sizes 1-4. I could go for them if torx aren't used.

second exodous said:
DroneB Dev said:

Lol, that was what I was used in my post above, it was a jail type place for young adults, they all had that pin. It just called 'security torx'. They are not a pain to remove if you have the tip, I think those are a little harder to find just because they are only used when security is needed. I guess they don't want inmates to have them to break out of jail.

jajaja, i never thought a laptop had to have such a security to lock it up on its place i cant recall what model it was, but i nearly broke the case in order to pop it out, (drilled a hole on my torx Sdriver and even that didnt work) on the end got a nice pair of pliers and some sanding paper (yes i tried to drill the pin off and the screw but it seemed to be hardened because it never got away even using diamond heads)

confirmed i see hex screws

I've stripped too many Phillips head screws to count, so hex or Torx would be the best in the long run.

Where's the "indifferent" poll option? :D

Honestly, I don't really care what kind of screw is used so long as it's fairly common. I voted Phillips because it's common enough, but torx would be fine, too. Just as long as it's not slotted... slotted really, really sucks. :p

voted torx for the looks, but i dunno if they are any better than ph or pz when they're that small.. they need to be black tho

Oh come you guys are lame. Everyone has hex lying around. I've got like 5 full sets for some reason. And it looks less retarded than phillips or flathead. Don't have a single torx though.

mali said:
Good old brass bolts. Retro and all..

I just hope we won't get philips screws that worn out even faster than slotted screws...

El Jefe said:
Oh come you guys are lame. Everyone has hex lying around. I've got like 5 full sets for some reason. And it looks less retarded than phillips or flathead. Don't have a single torx though.
I do have one or two sets of hex keys laying around (Fuck you, Imperial units!! FUCK YOU!!), but Torx looks cooler, and wouldn't hex strip easier because it's closer to a circle than Torx?

i cant decide between rivets or bolts. doesnt matter to me but it would be cool if ED and Craigix stores sell the tools we need for the screws and other pandora maintanance. also i hope the screws they choose are black.

Back