"Exciting news"

Can i politely remind you guys that the topic says "Exciting News" under "Pandora General Discussion" :)

The topic dosen't really matter as this thread actually contained no new news to begin with...

Anyway inverted logic aside, the thinking is that if you had enough money or man power with a project this small you could throw resources at any problem. Over all if the team had more money they wouldnt have to worry about some of their issues, sadly they dont so there's no way around them, so it's just a "sit and wait" situation.

I have to say, I am getting kind of sick of waiting too. The lack of updates is also disappointing. It is not true to say that they are updating us every step of the way... it has been a long time since the front page to-do list was updated, and going by that list we still have the final mould of case, CE/FCC testing, mass production test run, mass production, shipping, delivery to us... and more. They didn't tell us about the keyboard mould being finished until the key mats were delivered. These things have all taken longer than predicted, and many without updates. I predicted in about February that I wouldn't get a Pandora until at least the end of June, and now I think that might have been optimistic. And yes, other companies do delay products for a long time, but they don't ask you to pay for them first. We are not used to this and it is pretty annoying. Maybe even enough to piss you off sometimes (not me really, but I guess I'm pretty chilled :D).

However, I also understand that this project is unique, and unforeseen things will happen. This is also a first for the OpenPandora team and they are on a learning curve. I wouldn't want to be in their position, it must be very stressful. Perhaps they could have at least given us better estimates, but maybe sometimes if they told us all the bad news too many people would despair and withdraw their orders and we wouldn't see the device. For example, I know that they were having some issues they haven't told us about because I was at one point able to see the hidden developers forum on gp32x (when the forums went down). I think that ultimately, the wait will be worth it. And I think that we have almost no choice. For most of us it just comes down to, "do you want a Pandora or not?" - if yes, then you'll have to wait for it. I do feel a little misled, but it will be a fantastic and unique device, and I am willing to wait for it despite the issues.

Most companies don't allow their customers the level of access that we -have had- with the Pandora project. Usually they work on the beast for a few years, show a early prototype off at an industry-only trade show, and then go back 'under wraps' for another year or two, show it off at E3 to get some publicity, and then run with a trickle of leaks for another year until the September Xmas rush.

Would I like to see more, and with more frequency? Sure. However I'm not part of the development team, I don't -need- to know all that is going on.

It's a really unique project for a unique product. It's interesting to watch everything that we have had the opportunity to see so far.

I agree with everything you say. The only thing I would add is that most companies don't ask you to pay for it 7-10 months before it's released either - but this is just one more part of what is different about the project and also what has made it possible.

I do wonder whether the project would have been possible had they known about and told us about the wait - they needed the cash for the manufacturing costs after all. Maybe the Pandora wouldn't exist at all if they'd said they would like payment so long in advance. Or maybe they would have got the cash elsewhere, who knows? But in order to be sure that the project will stay alive and come to fruition, and it would be a huge disappointment and shame for all involved if it were to fail now, we have to stay behind them and continue our support - and this especially means NOT asking for refunds!

I'm sure we are close now. The majority of the waiting is done :D

You got to remember that OpenPandora team is only small and making the Pandora isn't their job unlike people who are making the DSi. However they should really update the checklist because I am really confused about the progress being made, if any. I bet its not just me getting paranoid that by the time the Pandora is released, it won't be that impressive anymore.

yeh, some sort of online bug-tracker / to-do-list would be a nice-to-have because I have NOT THE SLIGHTEST idea whats left to do and how long it will approx. take. After the checklist on the frontpage the Pandora should be shipped by now seeing the "march" mark on one of the last items.
Some weeks ago I thought that I knew the current status, but right now its a lot more confusing because the developers mention what they want to do next but they take a different route. The term prototype is heavily overused and no-one really knows which parts are beeing produced for the masses right now and which are not (except for the devs hopefully).

JayFoxRox said:
yeh, some sort of online bug-tracker / to-do-list would be a nice-to-have because I have NOT THE SLIGHTEST idea whats left to do and how long it will approx. take. After the checklist on the frontpage the Pandora should be shipped by now seeing the "march" mark on one of the last items.
Some weeks ago I thought that I knew the current status, but right now its a lot more confusing because the developers mention what they want to do next but they take a different route. The term prototype is heavily overused and no-one really knows which parts are beeing produced for the masses right now and which are not (except for the devs hopefully).
...hopefully, yes. I think that everyone would profit from a central status/information repository, even the devs. Trac, anyone?

I expect that if the devs knew they were going to lose money on the first batch they might not have started. I'm not asking for a refund, but I can imagine in the not too distant future the right combination of a lack of progress and a lack of information that I will. As someone said above if enough time passes there will be something better, faster, and/or cheaper. I expect that soon the fanboy cavalry will arrive to point out what whining ingrates we are, oh well. Craig said there would be some news next week. I hope so. I was hoping the devs might get in to some routine of informative weekly updates, but I've given up on that.

The journey will be over soon, relative to how far we've traveled already. Look at it this way, we have the final prototype, the final keymats, so what's left, really? CE testing and mass production. (in a nutshell)

I know that their estimates keep being wrong, but the buffer for mistakes in the estimates is getting smaller with every step of progress, so their estimates have a higher chance of being correct as we move along in the production, and right now we're almost at the end of the ladder.

lingenfr said:
I'm not asking for a refund, but I can imagine in the not too distant future the right combination of a lack of progress and a lack of information that I will.

It's an email I've drafted and slept on more than once too.

Kyosys said:
we have the final prototype, the final keymats, so what's left, really? CE testing and mass production. (in a nutshell)

Officially said though? There were some 'adjustments' needed to certain parts of the case last we heard, and the keymats need a few cosmetic realignments - and they haven't been tested yet (so far as we've been told) so that's still in the air.

There isn't a lot being posted recently because we are just waiting on mass production tests to be completed.

Next week you will see the final board, the final case and the final keypad.

That's because the first mass production boards are finally happening.

craigix said:

F5 keys across the globe will melt over the next 7 days.

craigix said:
I expect that others share my concern with the keypad. If what Fatih posted are the final, they still need some work. At a minimum the letters need to be centered. I would rather wait another week or two for that. No problems otherwise.

Final black production cases? so the mold is done?
or final other parts with clear prototype cases?

lingenfr said:
craigix said:
I expect that others share my concern with the keypad. If what Fatih posted are the final, they still need some work. At a minimum the letters need to be centered. I would rather wait another week or two for that. No problems otherwise.

I really don't get the apprehension over the keymat. If anything it adds more character to the Open Pandora, IMHO. I mean, this isn't an enormous bankrolled project. I imagine they will change a few things for the second batch, but I would feel honored to have one of the first batch. Frankly I think it would make the first batch more unique!

And again, it is an aesthetic thing as well. It isn't like they misaligned the SD card slot. It is a few bits on a piece of plastic. Give me a break.

senorgomez said:
lingenfr said:
I really don't get the apprehension over the keymat.
And you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If I want a keyboard that looks like I was drinking and used press on letters, I can do that myself. For the expense and the wait, the keymats need to be right. If they want to offer earlier shipping to folks like you who want the first run, great, I'll wait.

Back