Delivery Timeline

owenshadbolt

Still Fresh
Hi All,

A question that has been on my mind.... Just how are deliveries of the Pandora going to be handled?

On the one hand some of us might not have to wait quite as long as the estimated 6 to 8 weeks to get our units delivered, if they start sending them out as they roll off the production line. We are after all into overtime on the original release date.

However, this could be really unfair to those on the end of the list. So maybe they will wait until the first batch production run is complete before sending any but dev units out.

So what will happen? or what does everyone think should happen?

Just for the record, I'm fully behind the team however they handle this. Just thought it might be a good topic for discussion B)

Owen.

The 400 unit batches was mentioned when they thought production was going to be held up by various things not directly related to funding. Only devs no what's happening now.

My question is when can we start ordering? The Pandora Blog says

So, here is a mini-roadmap:
* Case Design: January 15th
* Case Prototyping: approx. 1-2 weeks later
* Final production and delivery: approx. 2 - 4 weeks later

What exactly does this mean? I can start ordering in mid/late Feb or will the first batch be deliver by then?

Raz said:
My question is when can we start ordering? The Pandora Blog says

So, here is a mini-roadmap:
* Case Design: January 15th
* Case Prototyping: approx. 1-2 weeks later
* Final production and delivery: approx. 2 - 4 weeks later

What exactly does this mean? I can start ordering in mid/late Feb or will the first batch be deliver by then?
If you want to order a first-batch Pandora, you can do so now (just e-mail openpandorasales@gmail.com). I believe orders for the second batch will not be taken until the first batch has shipped, but I don't have a citation handy for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raz said:
You can order one of the first batch leftovers now. Send an email to openpandorasales@gmail.com with your address and what you want to order and we'll get back to you with payment details and an exact price including shipping.

WizardStan said:
The 400 unit batches was mentioned when they thought production was going to be held up by various things not directly related to funding. Only devs no what's happening now.
The 400 unit batches info still stands. It was brought up by ED on the German board a while ago and renewed recently. The translation is on the Community Blog.

It's more to keep a close eye on the manufacturing process and tweak it where necessary than anything else. We already have all the necessary parts, but we can't afford to re-do huge numbers of boards if there is an issue. That's why we're doing them in smaller batches.

We already have a test program that will verify whether a board is "good" or not before it gets flashed and assembled so any boards that do have problems can be fixed. It just costs time and money to fix problem boards, and that is what we're trying to keep to a minimum.

Will the openpandora team be assembling the pieces themselves since it seems the parts are kind of scattered around or is there a company you go to for assembly as well?

I too am interested in the whole assembley process :D

I presume all the LCD panels are ready, the boards still need to be done, but all the chips and components are ready. 8000 Analog sticks ready? Keypad and buttons are part of the case production? 4000 batteries ready? :)

MDave said:
I presume all the LCD panels are ready, the boards still need to be done, but all the chips and components are ready. 8000 Analog sticks ready? Keypad and buttons are part of the case production? 4000 batteries ready? :)
Chip said:
We already have all the necessary parts

Monk said:
MDave said:
Chip said:
We already have all the necessary parts
I don't think you follow me. I mean final parts. All keypads for first 400 produced already? I somehow doubt it. I want specifics! :p

I wouldn't say it's unfair.

Those who sat waiting to get a pre-order are the ones that were keen enough to do so, Therefore I think it stands to reason that they should recieve theirs first.

In the order they were pre-orded.

mali said:
WizardStan said:
The 400 unit batches info still stands. It was brought up by ED on the German board a while ago and renewed recently. The translation is on the Community Blog.

Hey mali,

Could you please give us some links to the specific posts?

Owen.

400 piece batches?

I wonder how long time will pass between batches?
I am among the last to order as I always receive the emails a few days after all emails have been sent.

Assuming that one person can test 40 pandoras a day, it would take 2 weeks (10 days) for the first batch to be tested. I am at ~#3000. This means that I will have to wait roughly 15 weeks until they test mine.

You guys better be more than one person testing it, cause 4 month wait from start of production to receive the Pandora sux.
I guess worst case scenario, I get it in July. Best case scenario, May. :(

Oh well, at least I have my JBed ipod touch for now.

they 400 Pandoras, do some tests to ensure that they are all good. if not, then tune factoru line and go trough 400 batch again. when all seems good, they make all remaining in one or two batches and randomly test for ensure quality.
few 400 batches are just for factory settings.
EDIT: IIRC

Evil Dragon said that yesterday:

EvilDragon said:
fusion_power said:
They also could use the time to finish the final and printed keyboard-rubber-mat, I'm sure this can be made parallel with the CNC Case...or do we have to wait untill the CNC Case is finished? Protective Case and TV Cable would be also a nice additional feature, there is no time to waste I think and I haven't spotted anything like a final pic of these things. ^_^
We're already working on the keymat since last week, don't worry ;)
Also, we're researching about the TV Out cable production, so this is also covered.
But there's not much to show ;)

LINK

Will the first batch leftovers differ in any way form the final product? In terms of hardware and the stuff used to make it?

Back