Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Double Hex

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • pinned Torx (* with a . in the middle) a hell to remove

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 21 13.2%

• Total voters

No matter which screw since they will probably not have metallic inserts in the mating side when putting things back together place the screw gently in the hole and turn it counterclockwise until it clicks or drops into the previous cut thread. Cutting a 2nd thread is the problem with repeated disassembles on the plastic receiver.

It's not too hard to get hold of a bit for torx if it becomes an issue, dad's got the security type in all sizes, along with a screwdriver that can use these bits. Just go to any regular hardware store, and you find sets of 50 pieces or so that covers all the common types in all sizes.

Eh I voted philips at first, but changed it to torx. I have bits for it as long as it's not super ridiculously tiny, like some of the screws you see on hard drives. Oh, and don't use some really ridiculously soft metal. I hate when they're tightened so much that you completely destroy the head in the process of loosening it. Nice hard screws won't have that issue.

Remember if they come with screws you don't like and you're worried that they'll strip you just need to take one of each size to a screw/bolt place. Like I said on the first page Fastenal is where I go to get screws to replace all Nintendo's annoying tri-wing. They don't sell the tri-wing bit last time I checked but they sell torx, hex, and a ton of others.

It looks like they won't be phillips or slotted though, so I don't think I'll replace them.

BONUS: Looks like Fastenal is world wide so if you do replace them let the rest of the board know with what part numbers! I'm sure part numbers are the same world wide.

Torx.

There are a total of two types of torx. The common torx wrench works properly in both of them.

Please don't choose Phillips. There are about 30 varieties of screws that all look like Phillips, but none of them are interchangeable, and using the wrong driver nearly guarantees camout that destroys both the screw and the driver.

As for stripping the threads, I'm more worried about stripping (or cracking) the plastic than I am the threads of the screw.

Chip said:
x68000 said:
Where is the, 'for christ sake" option?
There, I added one.
Its not up for debate but the poll is titled 'what style of screws do you recommend for panda'. I think everyone here realises that it's not up for debate, no one seriously thinks this is going to determine what screws are used, people are just saying what screws they would want used or would 'recommend'. Poll haters I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
x68000 said:
Where is the, 'for christ sake" option?
There, I added one.
Oh cmon, i said it was not to decide something, just too see the pp's opinion

and somehow i know youre admin/moderator, but i think its rude to change things like that

anyway, from the img vids ive seen it seems the mounting is using hex screw type and i really feel that
small ones like sometimes strip much more worse than philips and when they go round its a nightmare, and the best option
is to get epoxy putty stuck all over.

Let's watch the results first. If most people vote "I don't care" it will be a different story.
Nice to have a "Delete my Vote" option ;)

Almost voted pinned torx, just to piss off people. :p I got a set of those bitches when I needed to take my 360 controller apart for cleaning. Seriously, Microsoft, what the hell were you smoking?

OrR said:
Almost voted pinned torx, just to piss off people. :p I got a set of those bitches when I needed to take my 360 controller apart for cleaning. Seriously, Microsoft, what the hell were you smoking?
Security Torx, or the Torx with the pin, are hard to get, I had to work with them when installing doors in a detainment center and we looked everywhere but everyone told us you have to be certified or something to carry them. We eventually just had the construction company order us some from some security company, a security company that wouldn't let just anyone order them. I have a full set somewhere but I've never seen them any where else, I'm surprised that a console maker would use them.

I voted for that new final option, but if a new option is added that says "Good grief! Why hasn't an admin disabled polls on this forum yet?" then I'm changing my vote to that.

second exodous said:
OrR said:
Security Torx, or the Torx with the pin, are hard to get, I had to work with them when installing doors in a detainment center and we looked everywhere but everyone told us you have to be certified or something to carry them. We eventually just had the construction company order us some from some security company, a security company that wouldn't let just anyone order them. I have a full set somewhere but I've never seen them any where else, I'm surprised that a console maker would use them.
I got them on ebay or Amazon (don't remember which) easily and they weren't that expensive. Still pretty stupid to get a screwdriver set only to clean my controller. I was working at a Bosch plant at the time and asked around but nobody had even heard of pinned torx. We used torx in pretty much everything but there wasn't a single pinned torx around...

OrR said:
second exodous said:
OrR said:
I got them on ebay or Amazon (don't remember which) easily and they weren't that expensive. Still pretty stupid to get a screwdriver set only to clean my controller. I was working at a Bosch plant at the time and asked around but nobody had even heard of pinned torx. We used torx in pretty much everything but there wasn't a single pinned torx around...
Ah man, didn't even think of Ebay at the time. We needed them fast though, we were putting normal phillips in and had to go change them out later. The longer we put in phillips in the longer it would take us to switch them out. It was making the site general nervous because if the state inspectors showed up they would throw a fit, like we would forget to replace a few and some troubled teenager would break out when the building went into operation.

Back