Release Rescue - homebrew game - [with C4A]

sswam

Advanced Member
One dark night, the girls of your village were taken by monsters.

To save them, you must enter the caves, and face the deadly Wumpus and Grue.
You have agility and rope, but nothing else.

*** The full game is R18+ for mild nudity and horror.
On first run, you can enable or disable this content.

High scores are saved on compo4all (register first).

homepage: http://sam.nipl.net/rescue.html

See also:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2669-homebrew-submissionvoting-thread/

1.2 - runs smoothly at 500Mhz without overclocking, and includes the HTML guide.
1.2.2 - bugfixes. Level switching with 1 2 3 4 5 works, there is some new music. Hooray!
1.2.3 - hero recovers more quickly (90s vs 10m). While injured, he bleeds and is weaker.
1.2.4 - extended map for ropes training, add one more girl. Erotic nudity, rated R 18+.
1.2.5 - Monsters make psychic attacks with horror and strobe, dialog to disable "adult" content
1.2.6 - compo4all online high scores, less nudity

It's a hard game, maybe, but my 3 year old son can defeat the first monster!  You can do it too!

Here's some more info on how to play the game (from the website):

Pandora Controls

Esc - exit game
Q - restart (press this after you die)

D-pad - move

Y - jump
B - use rope / lengthen rope
A - wide up rope - be careful, it breaks easily!
X - cut rope

E - music: next track
W - music: previous track
P - pause
M - toggle music
S - toggle sound effects

shoulder buttons - zoom out / in

U, H, J, N - look in that direction

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - select level (level 1 is the only real level)

Hints

This game is difficult, at least I think so!

You can kill monsters by jumping on their heads a few times.
You can climb, with diagonal up / down, and push strongly with diagonal down.
You can jump higher, with down-jump-up, like crouching first.  This is not normally necessary.
Rescue a girl by taking her outside to a flowery patch of ground.

Rocks float (pumice). Girls will follow you. You can also push them along help them get past a difficult spot.

While injured you bleed, and are less strong.

You will completely recover if you don't get hurt for a few minutes.

Your rope can be useful, learn how to use it in the area to the left!

Scoring

gem.png
    gem/gold          1

wumpus.png
    kill monster     10

girl.png
    find girl        10

girl2.png
    rescue girl     100

Video of an old version:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/McGFxDHovhY?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, I really want to play this, but it runs impossibly fast on my desktop. Is there any chance you could include frame limiting?

yeah I can do that, thanks. In the meanwhile, can you set your display refresh rate to 60Hz:

xrandr -r 60

I'd prefer that approach since the game is hacked together for 60Hz, it won't work nicely / smoothly at other rates. Maybe I can tell SDL to select a 60Hz mode somehow.

Argh, I really want to play this, but it runs impossibly fast on my desktop. Is there any chance you could include frame limiting?

by the way, if you really do play it with the xrandr hack, could you please let me know what you think or if you enjoyed it? That would be much appreciated. I upgraded the hints on my webpage, they should tell you just about everything you need to know now.

Alright, my review of how I've been playing it so far, I figure I'd set it up in categories. I don't have a working sound card on my pc at the moment, so I can't comment on that. But Graphics, Controls and general gameplay should all be possible!

First up, the graphics!

The graphics are a bit too simple for my taste, apart from the monsters and everything moving around, everyone and thing seems to be pretty static (apart from fire). Your character looks the same, no matter what direction you're going in, and it's the same for monsters and such. It would be more interesting if there were actually character movements going on, like a walking animation, a jumping or falling animation instead of him just looking left and right. Bushes that sway in the wind or water that flows around a bit more, making it more alive would make it more interesting to people as well I think.

Alright, that's the graphics, onward to controls!

The controls are weird, there's no way around that. The scheme for the PC at least (haven't tried Pandora yet) is very unusual and I had trouble with it immediately. The screen also sways around, making it very hard for you to actually figure out where you're jumping or going. Your character also seems to wobble around in general, like he's on drugs a little bit. If people could use the cursors (up, left, right, down) with A S D and Z X C being the different buttons to zoom in and out, it might be more comfortable as most people are used to that kind of control scheme (from emulators and such as well). Though the best idea would be to add a way to manually change the controls, so people can find a means to make it comfortable for themselves.

Perhaps, and idea that might be good, is a simple first level that allows you to play with the controls and the various traps without too much risk. So you can play with the rope, with swimming, the different enemies and stuff. It's harder if you're in unfamiliar territory AND have to figure out how things work.

That's all for the controls, onward with the general game play!

The general game play is okay, though I'm very very very much used to platform games that respond more correctly to the controls. Games like Cave story give you a near perfect control of the character, with the jet pack and guns al having an effect. It means that the fault is always with you if you screw up. The last last level "Running through hell I think" is like an obstacle course where you really test your skills to the limit by trying to complete it as fast as possible. It gets hard at the end but is very easy at the start. In contrast, your game starts hard and only gets harder, giving someone little time to get used to the controls beyond the first jump and also giving them no idea of an actual path to take.

It's not all bad though, because the idea itself is solid. Unlike some games where the girls just poof as they are saved, taking them somewhere actually makes sense (hostage has been rescued) and trying to keep them from the clutches of the aliens is still a fun idea. I mean, who doesn't want to save naked girls and possibly repopulate the human race?

All in all though, the game feels a bit more annoying than it feels fun. It shows promise, but there's a lot of little things that need work "in my opinion". I would love see you try out new things for people to try out because I'd love to see this game evolve further ^^

Hope this review helps a bit, I tried to be as honest as possible :)

I tried playing it on my Pandora and found it a bit awkward also. I can get by the graphics and sounds ( which are not too bad - good start ! ) but the controls are not too responsive which adds to the difficult in game play.

It is also hard to tell a few things like how much life/energy you have left. Needs some sort of score/counter/energy bar at the top of the screen.

Also, having a crouch option would be helpful. Maybe some arrow promts to help with which way to go once you get a girl to follow you.

After getting the first girl ( which I was able to do and get her back to the grass/flower area ), I found that on several times, she got stuck in the water on the way back. Some times she was able to follow by jumping out, others.. not. There seemed to be no logic that I could apply to getting her to follow me on a consistent basis.

Over all a good start but much work needs to be done to improve game play to the point where it is playable for a contest. Just for beta testing, it is fine but if I was you.. I would wait to do a contest till some of my and other suggestions are put into place.

Great job, keep it coming...

Press 1,2,3 to change level. Level 1 is hardest one.

I liked the way there are no any 'score/counter/energy' -bar.

Wobbling of the screen is cool.

I also think controlling keys are odd, but they can be changed. Modify keys.txt

e.g. for PC:

left LEFT

right RIGHT

up UP

down DOWN

I'm going to continue developing this game, after a long rest, heheh!

I made a 1.2 release on the repo, which no longer needs to be overclocked to 800Mhz, runs smooth at 500Mhz now.

Wohooo, nice, thanks :)

It looks like one of these neat exploration games... I loved these on the old computers :)

I have $300 prize pool (plus mystery prize) for anyone who can be bothered to rescue some girls in my Pandora game:

http://sam.ai.ki/rescue.html

It also runs on PC x86 Linux.

I'll pay fairly for good review / feedback (directed at improving the game). It can't be too hard, my 3 year old son can defeat the first monster! Please help me to develop this into a great game.

Also pls note the elite HTML animated shadow effects, I got the idea from http://maettig.com/c...ext-shadow.html
smile.gif

you let your 3yr old son play this game? naked girls and a naked man running around?

anyways.... this game is fun, i played it. you don't get games like this anymore. it reminds me of the Amiga 500 days, i love the Amiga 500 and C64 games, they just don't make games like those anymore, that is y i am here w/a pandora ;)

the game can use improvments. more naked girls, bigger boobs, more ass shots, more variety of naked girls, white girls, black girls, mexican girls, mmmmmm. things like that.

let me design my own lead character. asian dude, fat, black hair, that would be nice.

anyways.... this game is fun, i played it. you don't get games like this anymore. it reminds of of the Amiga 500 days, the love the Amiga 500 and C64 games, they just don't make games like those anymore, that is y i am here w/a pandora ;)

Exactly... I still play Bruce Lee using the C64 emulator every now and then.

Great game... if only it didn't have the bug where it crashes with a 50% chance at one point of the game.

anyways.... this game is fun, i played it. you don't get games like this anymore. it reminds of of the Amiga 500 days, the love the Amiga 500 and C64 games, they just don't make games like those anymore, that is y i am here w/a pandora ;)

Exactly... I still play Bruce Lee using the C64 emulator every now and then.

Great game... if only it didn't have the bug where it crashes with a 50% chance at one point of the game.

yes i love those Amiga games! the memories!! i hope there will be more Amiga style games on the pandora! nothing fancy, just good old fashion 8-16 bit games

Thanks guys! If you really like it, pls rank > 1/5 on the repo :p

you let your 3yr old son play this game? naked girls and a naked man running around?

you don't get games like this anymore

the game can use improvments. more naked girls, bigger boobs ...

let me design my own lead character. asian dude, fat, black hair, that would be nice.

Yeah a 3yo doesn't care about nudity, and there's no sex in it.

Thx for the best compliment ever!!!1

You can press zoom for bigger boobs :p (shoulder buttons, or I / O on PC)

I will consider a sprite editor... :) or maybe

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh "`find / -name 'gimp.pnd'`" hero.png && make

Play a challenging homebrew game today!

rescue-4.png

Released Rescue 1.2.1 on the Pandora repo.

- fixed bug with level switching, can press 1 2 3 4 5 to switch levels

- level 1 is hard, the others are small and easy, for practice

- fixed bug with no music after restart

- added extra music, can change tracks with W and E

- can plug in your own music collection, like:

Code:
rm appdata/rescue/music ; ln -s /your/music appdata/rescue/music

Rescue++ is coming in Two Months™, with new levels, physics, puzzles, scary subliminal sexy/horror imagery, mmo net play, persistent world, big monsters, digging / building, and space travel.

New 1.2.3 minor release. For health status, the hero now gets weaker and bleeds while injured. Severe bleeding / low jumping / slow movement suggests he is near death. He should have a rest! He now fully recovers in 90 seconds rather than 10 minutes, which makes the game easier. I did not make a good practice "ropes course" yet, and I need to practice that bit... I rescued 7/10 in one game, then fell in a hole due to poor rope work!

Back