Release Rescue - homebrew game - [with C4A]

Any ideas why jump might not work?
The top "Y" button is jump...

it might not work if: 

- you tied yourself to the ground with the B button! ... you can cut the rope with X button

- you paused the game with "P" key, press "P" again

- you normally can't jump while holding "up" on the D-pad

- or, some bug ...

pls let me know if your Rescue dude can jump now, or not! that would be a show-stopper bug if he can't jump

Last edited by a moderator:
I can manipulate rope effectively using a, b  and x

It wasn't paused

I wasn't holding up

Other programs successfully recognise Y as pgUP, so it isn't the fault of my hacked copy of AB mouse

Bug?

Other programs successfully recognise Y as pgUP, so it isn't the fault of my hacked copy of AB mouse

Bug?
What's "AB mouse" and how did you hack it?

I guess it's a bug, weird that it doesn't happen for me...

It uses SDL for input.  I'll ask someone else to test it too.

There is a file keys.txt in the PND which defines which keys do what:

http://sam.nipl.net/code/rescue/keys.txt

I don't suppose you changed that file in the appdata?  Seems unlikely, but please check it.

Did you do anything weird to your Pandora, such as installing / upgrading libraries with opkg?

Bug?
What's "AB mouse" and how did you hack it?
A pnd that temporarily maps the A and B buttons on the game button to left and right click

I have a hacked version that also maps Y to middle click.

the subapp 'normal mouse' changes them back again (and turns Y back to PgUp)

I guess it's a bug, weird that it doesn't happen for me...

It uses SDL for input.  I'll ask someone else to test it too.

There is a file keys.txt in the PND which defines which keys do what:

http://sam.nipl.net/code/rescue/keys.txt

I don't suppose you changed that file in the appdata?  Seems unlikely, but please check it.
The only file in '/media/SDCARD/pandora/appdata/rescue-17448' is called 'xxx' and contains '1'

Did you do anything weird to your Pandora, such as installing / upgrading libraries with opkg?
Nope.

I did run the Pandora upgrade OS tool recently, but that hasn't made a difference either way.

A pnd that temporarily maps the A and B buttons on the game button to left and right click

I have a hacked version that also maps Y to middle click.

the subapp 'normal mouse' changes them back again (and turns Y back to PgUp)
Sounds like the likely culprit.  Did you try it in "normal mouse" mode?  Maybe the "Y button hack" does not change it back properly which you do "normal mouse"?

Can you send me the hacked PND sam@nipl.net or give me a link, I'll try it and try to fix it.

My game uses SDL under X11, not on the framebuffer, I think... so that might be a difference.

I'd be happy to work on a hacked start script you can put in appdata, to disable AB mouse while the game is running and turn it back on again after or whatever... and include it in the next version if it won't break things.

Here's the start script as it is (without any AB mouse hack) if you'd like to try changing it:  http://sam.nipl.net/code/rescue/rescue.sh

Listen up, you unsupportive homebrew ignoring motherfuckers   :)    (not you, Binky)

Please stop fucking your mother, play my game for a bit and get a score on the board okay?  Then you can go fuck your mom again that's ok by me.   :)

I will genuinely send some excellent chocolate to the person with the best score other than me if anyone each week for a few weeks.

I believe this is the first compo 4 all PRIZE on offer!  Fucking lame competition with no prizes!   ;)  It will be even better than craig's chocolate.

That's stick and carrot.  Did I do that right??

If not, how do I motivate you fat pirates to stop your wallowing in retro classics for 10 minutes and play a 2nd-rate homebrew game?

Pls don't blame me for the bad language in this post, I've been watching foul mouthed American comedians on youtube.

Your game is really, really hard. I'm trying to get the first girl to safety, but she keeps getting stuck in the water. I'm trying to put rocks in the water to make it easier for the girl to not get stuck, but it's still hard, and so far none of my attempts have worked.

I can't figure out how to climb up to the second girl.

There is a kind of monster (beyond the water you have to dive through without drowning) that seems to be very tough, it always kills me almost immediately.

Your game is really, really hard.

Basically my experience mimics _wb_ :S I think the game has some cool ideas, but I can't really play it...
 Ok, why don't I see your scores on compo 4 all then, alleged players??   :)   you must have been able to get at least a gem or chunk of gold and score a few points.

I guess you didn't upgrade to the C4A version.  Do I need to put a nag-screen like with Flash and Java???  Or do you want silent automatic downloads like Chrome?  Take care of your software already!  even the impossible hard and bogus games... You should be proud if you can get a couple points in my game ;) I think I will go with the nag screen for now.

Ok ... so yeah, point taken, it's a bit of a challenge.  Because I made sure it was hard enough for me while I was developing it, classic game coder mistake I know.  I'll give some extra hints then.

The rocks float on water.  Push two large rocks in each pool.  You can push better with a 'diagonal down' move. It may hurt the D-pad a bit, I don't care, ain't nobody got time for that ;) Then lead (don't push) the girls over the rocks.  They will get over without any trouble. Actually that would be a good slogan for my game "Rescue: ain't nobody got time for that!" haha. The girls are a bit overly feminine and not much good at jumping up bumps and stuff, but they can do it, or you can get around other side of them and give them a push. This happens in real life with caving and water-fall climbing and stuff I've been there. (not specifically with girls, most girls are more agile than my half-starved abducted cave girls)

If the girls get stuck in water, it is possible to get them out but it's really very difficult.

To get to the second girl, jump from the slanty ledge thing and climb up the wall when you touch it.  Try not to "eat" the dirt there, go through it on the edges without clearing it.  On the other hand, it's good to eat it and yet not fall down, so the wumpus will fall down... :)  If the dirt is all gone and you fall down it's very hard (but possible) to get up there again.

Yeah the "grue" monsters that look like a "faces of meth" pacman are tougher than the purple "evil mutant Repton" wumpus monsters.  They are very fast, won't start chasing you until you get close, do more psychic attacks (in the new version), and do more damage with each strike.  Stay above their heads.  You know how to jump and climb up the wall, right?  You don't really have to kill that one in the pit with the gems, anyhow, you can just forego those gems and go past him.

These puzzles all sort of "emerged" from the bogus level design and the physics.

I didn't really design it, just drew the level, figured out how to do it and tweaked it a bit if I couldn't.

So it has a sort of "natural" difficulty rather than man-made puzzle difficulty ;)

The rocks weren't really meant to float but I got the buoyancy code wrong, and thought "stuff it, some rocks can float that will be fine!"

I guess I'll do a spoiler video, probably won't help very much anyway.

BTW I played Microbes for a bit today and got some more stars.  I will attempt to challenge your supremacy ... some time!

The dratted developer has changed how everything works since I used to be good at it.

What happened to my beloved all-powerful neutrophils??   ;)

guess I'll get more enjoyment since it's like totally changed and all.   :)

Anyway I'm not asking you to become the world champion yet, just download the new version and put a score on the board, i.e. collect one gem. You can do that! Then I can tell my kids "aha look here, my game is popular, I have a player and he scored a point! woo!" and also for testing purposes.

When I get fired from my job for wasting my time on this nonsense and facebook and stuff it will good if I can say on my resume "made a popular homebrew game with >= 2 capable players" so please help me achieve that. I can't really make the cave monsters all weak and namby-pamby, be realistic - cave monsters are tough. You can't leave those lady-folks stuck down the cave with monsters. Deal with it!

OK, just did a fresh boot with AB mouse never having been started, and it works.

This suggests that my hacked 'normal mouse' is broken - I'll try to dig out the config files

how do I motivate you fat pirates to stop your wallowing in retro classics for 10 minutes and play a 2nd-rate homebrew game?
Prettier graphics? ;)

There is a kind of monster (beyond the water you have to dive through without drowning) that seems to be very tough, it always kills me almost immediately.
Well done for getting that far, anyhow. In the absence of other nominees I will send you some chocolate.

Lol, don't get butt-hurt. I am currently without Pandora to try newer releases. I'm hoping to buy 1GHz soon... But those were my experiences from most attempts playing previous releases. :)
I'm just faking most of the butt-hurt it's supposed to be a form of comedy. And of course I want to attact attention and get people to play my game. People with Pandoras, that is, you sad little Pandora-less person! ;) hehe

how do I motivate you fat pirates to stop your wallowing in retro classics for 10 minutes and play a 2nd-rate homebrew game?

Prettier graphics? ;)
Just you up and rescue a girl and you'll see how "pretty" the graphics are!

But yeah ok I'll will try to pretty up the graphics a bit. I'm not sure it's very worse than Frogger though. Maybe I can use some of that Binky graphics you posted IIRC.

edit: yay, _wb_ got a score on the board, thank-you sir... and it's nice to know my C4A code works for another person

Please do.

I'd also say it could be improved by making the nudity either less obvious, or more tasteful.
Are you any good at subtle, tastefully nude pixel art? (I'm not.)

this is a weird game...

I tried this before the update... now, it`s just plain hatstand!!
How did I not see these comments earlier?  I had to look that one up stainy... I'll take it as a compliment... but only if you post a score ... c'mon man collect one gem / gold how hard can it be!

You can turn off the "psychic attacks" to which I suppose you are referring by selecting "mild version" at the once-only initial prompt menu... delete appdata/rescue-*/xxx to see it again.

But what's the matter, don't you like horror movies, skeletons, flashing lights?

Yes, but I like the idea.  DREDD made a real, native game for the Pandora.  OKay, I have to check this out...it's so wacky.
And ... ?   :)  don't rush I'm very patient...  !!

I'd replace the nude girl sprites with scantily-clad-girl sprites (blanket over one shoulder and covering most of legs sortathing)

The player sprite should clearly hold a coil of rope in one hand, and probably a loincloth, tarzan style

The images displayed when you rescue someone should go too (maybe he could take them into his house instead?)

That's not all because I'm (or other people might be) deeply offended, but because I can't see any place for cheap sėxuaŀ references in a high quality game.

Back