Release Rescue - homebrew game - [with C4A]

OK, He's some stuff I'm clearing out of the 'reality check' thread:

I have been playing you game, and the mechanics are quite good....

The bright orange tiles aren't, neither are the player and resucee sprites.
---------

I have been playing you game, and the mechanics are quite good....

The bright orange tiles aren't, neither are the player and resucee sprites.
Thanks, I'll try to dim the orange tiles for a start... And where is your score?
I vaguely want to make the player more animated like he is walking / climbing / swimming

not just floating about like a ghost and looking back and forth...

maybe I need to take night-school art classes with "life drawing"

or hire an artfully talented person or use real models or something

If I change the shape of the sprites it will change the gameplay a bit, but that's okay.

my "bogus bitmap physics" is based on how sprites overlap and centers of gravity and stuff...

There're the rock and darkrock textures in my wip tileset xcf - are they any use?

There're the rock and darkrock textures in my wip tileset xcf - are they any use?
They look good, but are you sure you want to be associated as a contributor to my bogus game?? :)

I can credit you with a pseudonym - a different pseudonym - if you desire!

"CS" will do :)

---

The rock texture for all the other tiles I drew is lightrock, so it should match up across tiles, and the tiles can be drawn very quickly (if that helps)

---

@Dredd: Am I right that the collision detection in Rescue is based on per-pixel collisions/overlaps?

If so, would it make any difference to have tiles where the logical (collision+visible) edge is not the edge of the image?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dredd: Am I right that the collision detection in Rescue is based on per-pixel collisions/overlaps?

If so, would it make any difference to have tiles where the logical (collision+visible) edge is not the edge of the image?
Yeah that's right, tiles and objects can be any shape like spikes or circular or whatever.

It makes a bitmap from each image and uses shifts and logical AND to find intersections, then counts bits and works out centers of gravity using lookup tables, then applies forces and calculates damage. It tries to be somewhat realistic physics, with some limits. Shapes that are spiky cause more damage because the collisions last longer, or something like that... I forget exactly how it works! There's no special 'this is spiky' flag, anyway, it depends on the shape.

It would be fun to make a new game as a collaboration using your tiles, we can use the Rescue "engine" (if it can be called an engine!).

We can make changes to the dynamics and gameplay too, of course. It doesn't have to be about rescuing girls out of caves. Could have more generous controls like changing jump direction in mid air, etc. And we can enter the next compo with a "new" game. Better start now, _wb_ is already working towards it!

I'd like to add some more physics with contact friction (so the guy doesn't slip down hills so easily) and maybe objects than can rotate. Realistic liquids. Illumination, for prettiness and so you can see only what you should be able to see. Larger tiles and objects.

I think I'll leave Rescue largely as is, maybe calm the orange down a bit, although bright orange is a good "freaked out" colour for that scenario.

By the way I guess you got a score in Rescue, were you playing the latest version?  Did it do a popup like "high score: 1234" at the end?

If so, would you please submit your score to C4A by running rescue with wifi enabled and then just quitting out?

Win some excellent chocolate by playing this one weird homebrew game!

Online Leaderboard and Countdown Timer

_wb_ is in the lead with a measly 140 points ... you can do better than that

and win some quantity of excellent chocolate - delivered to your door!

cake.jpg

^ does not necessarily represent the actual prize

It would be fun to make a new game as a collaboration using your tiles, we can use the Rescue "engine"
Good plan, if you can put up with my contributions being a little slow over the next few weeks. I'll PM you.

By the way I guess you got a score in Rescue, were you playing the latest version? Did it do a popup like "high score: 1234" at the end? If so, would you please submit your score to C4A by running rescue with wifi enabled and then just quitting out?
I get a popup "Highscore 152", and had wifi ON, but wasn't prompted for initials or suchlike. Do I need to do some C4A setup first?

I get a popup "Highscore 152", and had wifi ON, but wasn't prompted for initials or suchlike. Do I need to do some C4A setup first?
Yeah you have to run C4A and create your ID / account. Then it should submit the score next time.

If it still doesn't submit the score, delete appdata/rescue-*/highscore.txt - then it will think it's a "new" highscore and try to submit it again.

Yeah you have to run C4A and create your ID / account.
Didn't work before - trying again...

Nope. Latest version of tth crashes before I get a chance to do anything :(

Can it be done manually by editing a config file?

Haha! It works!

(& btw, I refuse to accept any chocolate for any score below 300 - its not fair if nobody else is actually playing <_< )

Wow, someone called Nivek10 got 1040 points in Rescue, matching my score on C4A :)

I contacted him with offer of chocolate...

Lol, it is very challenging, but once I read this post and realized you can get 100 points for actually saving a girl (getting her to flowers) my score shot up :p still working on saving all of them too, so still room for improvement.

still working on saving all of them too, so still room for improvement.
There's much room for improvement in the game / level design too. It really is excessively difficult or barely possible to rescue the last 3 girls! I have rescued all the girls, but only once. :) thanks for liking / playing the game.

Your Excellent Chocolate will be sent shortly!

Do you like liquor chocolates? if not I will find some non-alcoholic Excellent Chocolate instead!

I ported my game Rescue to run on Windows, previously it was only for Pandora and PC-Linux.

c4a_rescue.jpg

Here's a zip of it: http://sam.nipl.net/rescue-w32.zip

Keys:

Z X quote slash - move
enter - jump
l-shift l-ctrl c - rope stuff
arrow keys - look around
q to restart
esc to exit

This is a work in progress and it contains some "placeholder resources".

Wouldn't it look better, if you did nearest neighbour scaling instead of bilinear, as the graphics are only pixelart?

I ported my game Rescue to run on Windows, previously it was only for Pandora and PC-Linux.

Z X quote slash - move

enter - jump

l-shift l-ctrl c - rope stuff

arrow keys - look around

q to restart

esc to exit

This is a work in progress and it contains some "placeholder resources".
I can move left, right and jump (Y, X and Return) (on german keyboard)

I don't see what quote or slash does, (german keyboard).  Hitting "'" does nothing, Hitting "/" (shift-7) crashes the game.

Ctrl and Left shift and ctrl or leftshift + "c" don't seem to do anything

I can get past the first purple alien, pushing the rock into the water and jumping on it.

I can't get past the second water pit.

Dying after drowning doesn't end the game. The character just sits there, motionless.

Wouldn't it look better, if you did nearest neighbour scaling instead of bilinear, as the graphics are only pixelart?
 maybe, I'll try it out

I can move left, right and jump (Y, X and Return) (on german keyboard)

Thanks for trying the game.

I don't see what quote or slash does, (german keyboard).  Hitting "'" does nothing, Hitting "/" (shift-7) crashes the game.

Ctrl and Left shift and ctrl or leftshift + "c" don't seem to do anything
Yeah the default keys are unusual, and unsuitable for a german keyboard. I like those keys, but I'll change it to W A S D and other letters (not Y or Z!)

The keys can be changed in the keys.txt file.

shift-7 would confuse it - the number keys are supposed to restart the game on a different level, but it doesn't work on windows at the moment.

I can get past the first purple alien, pushing the rock into the water and jumping on it.
Impressive if you can beat him using a keyboard where Z and X are not next to each-other!

I can't get past the second water pit.
Yeah it needs the "up" button to climb out.

Dying after drowning doesn't end the game. The character just sits there, motionless.
Yeah you have to press "q" to restart the game. At the moment the restart is implemented using "exec" (!) and it doesn't work properly on windows. It works from DOS prompt (how I was testing it), but not when you double-click on the icon / rescue.exe, which is weird.

I think you'd have more luck playing it on your Pandora!

Back