Release Rescue - homebrew game - [with C4A]

Yeah WASD would be great! Would work on all international keyboards I know. Thanks!

Yeah WASD would be great! Would work on all international keyboards I know. Thanks!
I changed the keys to W A S D in keys.txt.

I also ported it to Mac (over ssh!), and included the Linux, Mac and Windows executables together in the ZIP.

http://sam.nipl.net/rescue.zip

The game still sucks and needs a lot of work, but at least now it's portable! :)

To start the game,

on Linux, run rescue_linux.sh (runs 64-bit or 32-bit)

on Mac, run rescue_mac_x86_64_exe

on Windows, run rescue_w32.exe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm the new zip including all executeables is only 21MB and the old windows-only rescue-w32.zip was 49.5MB. What changed?

EDIT: Ok I killed the first purple guy. Made it past the 2nd water, then I came to a brown wall in the tunnel. Took me several plays before I realized I could just walk (dig?) through it!

What is the rope for? I can only attach it to the ground between my legs.

Hmm the new zip including all executeables is only 21MB and the old windows-only rescue-w32.zip was 49.5MB. What changed?
 I removed the "shock" pictures when fighting monsters, and the portraits that were previously shown when you rescue someone.

It wasn't helpful to the game, some people didn't like it, and I don't own those images anyway.

EDIT: Ok I killed the first purple guy. Made it past the 2nd water, then I came to a brown wall in the tunnel. Took me several plays before I realized I could just walk (dig?) through it!
doing well!

What is the rope for? I can only attach it to the ground between my legs.
You can fix it to any "plain rock" on the floor ceiling or a wall. When you get to a bit where the cave goes down, you can hang off the rope. It can be useful for a height advantage or safety when fighting monsters, or when descending cliffs. Later on there's a place where you need to swing on the rope to progress, it's difficult. Also in the valley to the left of the start position there's a gem that you can only get by swinging on the rope. It's the same sort of swing as in the cave, gives a chance to practice rope swinging without having to bash through the rest of the game first.

At the moment once you "cut" the rope you can no longer climb it again. I want to fix that at some point, and also make it so the other people and the monsters can climb the rope too.

Hmm now I am having trouble getting past the second rock, so I can dig through the tunnel.  As soon as I climb out of the water pit, I end up pushing the rock too far into the low-ceiling end of the tunnel.

EDIT: How do I attach the rope to ceiling or a wall? It always attaches to floor between my legs.

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Hmm now I am having trouble getting past the second rock, so I can dig through the tunnel.  As soon as I climb out of the water pit, I end up pushing the rock too far into the low-ceiling end of the tunnel.
Maybe swim to the bottom first then climb up the well fast so you climb over the rock quickly with some momentum without pushing it too far.

It is possible to get past the small rock when it's blocking the way, you have to hold down+right, then quickly switch to up+right+jump. Causes some blood loss but you can squeeze through the gap!

EDIT: How do I attach the rope to ceiling or a wall? It always attaches to floor between my legs.
It will attach to whatever you're touching at the time. It's possible but hard to attach it to the roof since you can't hold on to that. Generally it's more useful to attach it to the floor before going over a ledge, or to the wall while climbing down.

Sorry for the stupid questions.
Nah, thanks for playing the game! Your questions are helpful to me, shows me what parts need to be improved and made more clear. I just gotta stop slacking and do some work on it.

By the way, it's also possible to jump up and climb up the wall above the entrance to the cave. If you want to try using the rope, go left from the start position and see if you can get the gem that's hard to reach by swinging on the rope! (quite difficult)

I want to replace the vanilla rope with a "rope dart", so you can throw a spiky stick on the end of the rope. This can serve as a weapon, and also you could throw it at the roof or a wall, it would stick in then you can swing on the rope, like a grappling hook. Then we can get over wide gaps using the rope. Would have to aim the dart using the mouse on PC, and nub/touchscreen on the Pandora.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uhW67MBO8M8?feature=oembed

Back