Release [Repo] UAE4ALL 2.5.1.0

He's using ADFs for christ's sakes! They're almost all universally cracked :)

D.

UAE4ALL on my beloved pandora is probably the most incompatible Amiga Emulator I come across. Probably nothing you can do much about. Even 1 to 1 bit exact copies don't work - they fail on copy protection. So many great games do not work in spite of the fact the processing power of Ghz pandora seems very well to be good enough. It's a lack of code quality.
Can you list which titles you're trying to run.

I totally disagree with your statement, I have had the odd title not run but nothing on the scale you have stated.

I suspect he wants to have ipf support. I'd like that, too, but AFAICS the access library on softpres.org is closed source with no arm version (and suboptimal licensing).

Sorry guys, I did not mean to upset you. I tell you the story on my spare time tomorrow.

UAE4ALL on my beloved pandora is probably the most incompatible Amiga Emulator I come across.
If you make the above statement though you must back it up with evidence.

UAE4ALL on my beloved pandora is probably the most incompatible Amiga Emulator I come across.
If you make the above statement though you must back it up with evidence.
Jim Power was running with frameskip and some glitches on an older version. It won´t even start with UAE4ALL 2.5.3.3.

Lionheart is running now on 2.5.3.3, at least the first levels. Wasn´t running few versions ago. So that's clearly an improvement.

Rainbow Islands still does not even start

Fire and Ice: reproducible crash on stage 3, world 4 (underwater world), through it´s possible that this is a bug with the savestate system. Still, it crashes.

Turrican (1): besides some minor distorted graphics ingame, infinite loading screen when loading world 3, stage 1 - the jet pack stage. I tried the original factor 5 backup. Factor 5 claims that these are exact copies of the original disks. But still infinite loading screen after world 2. But it exists a rg-copy, that works even after world 2, despite even more distorted ingame graphics. So I conclude the infinite loading screen between world 2 and 3 has something to do with some kind of copy protection that UAE4ALL seems to be incompatible with. Also that would explain the distorted ingame graphics

These are just a few examples. Most other games I already deleted from my sd card. But I tried some other games I can't remember. I think I tried to run Amberstar or Ambermoon or both without any luck.

On the other hand: all theses game - to be precise: all my copies of these games - run perfectly fine on WinUAE.

And let me point out It's totally alright that UAE4ALL on pandora has a lot of shortcomings. I have not paid a single cent for it and am grateful for every minute coding work that went into it. It's just a pity that UAE4ALL on pandora is still in an early stage. There was not much of an improvement over the years.

Maybe it's worth to wait one or two more years. Maybe someone with the needed skills will have a look at UAE4ALL on pandora. In the meantime I stay with PicoDrive, PCSXreARMed and DosBox. To my experience and in comparison with UA4ALL they run much better.

If you want the same compatability level in UAE4ALL as in WinUAE, you have to:
 - switch from FAME/C core to m68k core of WinUAE
 - in m68k core, switch on emulation of prefetch of data/opcodes
 - sometimes cycle-exact blitter emulation and/or cpu emulation is required
 - remove copper prediction (this was done in WinUAE at an early stage)
 - remove some performance updates in custom-chip handling and display handling

The result will be that you can't play anything on an 600 MHz Pandora. Everything will just be a slideshow.
I switched to the m68k core of WinUAE and removed the copper prediction for some testing and the result was really poor performance in nearly every game or demo.

Thanks for your explanation, TomB. So it's basically a computing power versus compatibility thing. I've heard the Amiga is hard to emulate. What's interesting though is that the Sega Mega Drive to my knowledge also is Motorola 68K-based. But it seems easier to emulate.

Would someone tell me what games run on UAE4ALL with what settings? So I can try some other games that work and get that Amiga-feeling on my pandora.

I've heard the Amiga is hard to emulate. What's interesting though is that the Sega Mega Drive to my knowledge also is Motorola 68K-based. But it seems easier to emulate.
CPU is but a small part of a system, the problem with Amiga emulation is the custom chips that work with it, and the timing between all of them. :/

In many respects the SMD is a less complicated machine being designed as a games console.

I've heard the Amiga is hard to emulate. What's interesting though is that the Sega Mega Drive to my knowledge also is Motorola 68K-based. But it seems easier to emulate.
The Amiga is way more complex than the Megadrive - the megadrive is a very simple machine, but the Amiga has way more chips to emulate and they have special purposes that were usually exploited in games outside of their original design (the blitter does that a lot).

Turrican (1): besides some minor distorted graphics ingame, infinite loading screen when loading world 3, stage 1 - the jet pack stage. I tried the original factor 5 backup. Factor 5 claims that these are exact copies of the original disks. But still infinite loading screen after world 2.
Did anyone else report this problem with turrican 1 elsewhere yet ? I have to admit I did not go up to level 3 when I tried the game.  

Here are the sources for the latest version of UAE4ALL.

Changes:
 - Bugfix: Minor graphic bug in Love Demo fixed
 - CPU idle indicator in status line
 - Performance update for AGA

uae4all_src.zip

Attachments

• uae4all_src.zip
    825.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
Aww thanks TomB. You`re continued dedication to UAE4ALL is greatly appreciated :)

Shall be updating when I get home.

Another update for me to download after the weekend! I hope you still continue to work on this emulator into the Pyra era!

as my pandy is still awaiting some fixup, i built the

new 2.5.3.4 source for my raspberry pi 2, and WOW all

the aga demos i throw at it are running fullspeed now!!!

this is soo awesome! thank you *verry* much for this

great update TomB! :)

if anyone with a rpi1/2 wants to try it,

check ftp://researchlab.spdns.de

cheers!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're getting ready to throw out a new version of this, TomB, would it be too cheeky to ask if we can have the old UI back? Or at least the option to switch? The new one with the pseudo-workbench look is just awful and takes forever to get anything done unless you resort to using the touchscreen :(

The latest ports on Android et al all use the old UI, and they're much better for it - even when the platform actually is designed for touch input!

D.

Thanks for the updates. I am maintaining a version for retropie over at github which is forked from the android version. I guess it would make it easier for all the versions out there if the changes here were managed in some public source control somewhere. Unless I have missed something and it already is - is that something that would be considered ?

Thanks again.

Back