Reality Check - Would you really pre-order on a KS?

Would you give $500 to a Pandora 2 Kickstarter with an 18 month timeline?

• Total voters

^  Golden showers aren't my thing...despite what you may have heard about me.   :p  

As for the the current wifi?  Looks like only a usb dongle will help that - we're stuck with the current pcb's until a "P2" happens.  The keyboard might be able to be improved...if a slightly less rigid keymat was used?  Not sure about that.... I'm trying to break mine in, but I don't mind it so much.  I knew what I was getting myself into with the whole "thumb-typing" thing...

^  Golden showers aren't my thing...despite what you may have heard about me.   :p  

As for the the current wifi?  Looks like only a usb dongle will help that - we're stuck with the current pcb's until a "P2" happens.  The keyboard might be able to be improved...if a slightly less rigid keymat was used?  Not sure about that.... I'm trying to break mine in, but I don't mind it so much.  I knew what I was getting myself into with the whole "thumb-typing" thing...
You are such a humorous gentleman, my solute to you. Yet, we are off our rails again. Maybe its my fault.

If ED would to start a kickstarter, he should at least finish PCB design and trying to buy some parts in first. Doing kickstarter too early may not be a good idea, we need to have a working prototype at least. 

Even though projects usually cost a lot in the designing phase, I don't think people will just throw money into thin air just because jesus may be coming out of it wearing something funny.

Also, because of kickstarter's time limit thingy, having some great content as updates would also be cool. Like getting Exo to make a video about him talking about the APU and project shield sarcastically while drinking from ED's coffee cup with notaz singing old obscure Germany songs in the background; maybe Craigix can bring in the pizza. 

My point is, while this all sounds good at the moment, we are still a long time from being even ready for the kickstarter. We have a vague idea of what we want for P2, but nothing is solid in stone. 

That's not to say we haven't do anything useful, my point is exactly the opposite. We have at least ruled out some stupid ideas, and unrealistic goals, and are reaching to a point of agreement on many fronts. (Thanks to Exo for his knowledge on cats and hardwares, there is no better person in the world that can give the same facts and still manage to maintain that stoic attitude).

We need not to get too excited, and shall wait until the truth unveil like a triple A stripper's top and bottom. 

Uhhhh...thanks for the compliment...and I'm not that excited for a "P2" just yet.  I just like to banter ideas back and forth mostly.  It's "fun" to dream.  In the meantime I'm happy to entertain myself with my 1GHz Pandora - this will keep me busy until it's time for a sequel.  I'm sure.  Of course this won't stop me from thinking ahead - it's just my nature.

If ED would to start a kickstarter, he should at least finish PCB design and trying to buy some parts in first. Doing kickstarter too early may not be a good idea, we need to have a working prototype at least. 

Even though projects usually cost a lot in the designing phase, I don't think people will just throw money into thin air just because jesus may be coming out of it wearing something funny.
If I did understand ED correctly so far, he won't do a fundraising for a successor if he is not 100% sure that mass production can start right after the needed money is collected. So I guess we do not need to worry about that - if he ever will be involved in the P2.

If I did understand ED correctly so far, he won't do a fundraising for a successor if he is not 100% sure that mass production can start right after the needed money is collected. So I guess we do not need to worry about that - if he ever will be involved in the P2.
It seems like I have missed that quote somewhere. That is definitely good news to me. Pandora team need some more project manage skill than just enthusiasm. 

Part of me feel like ED should just choose some soc right away and start to make a p2. The other part of me suggests that may be we shall all wait patiently for the next generation of chips and make p2 the machine the community really deserves. 

[OT] Let's make a Pandora 2 with ARM and AMD CPUs that can power up and down independently.  Then everyone will be happy.  Maybe.

Throw me some Stats and a Kickstarter and I'll start a rampage that throwing my money at the screen doesn't do anything.

That said, yes I would preorder it.

720p Screen for me is more than enough.

I'd go for the portable that gets the community behind it, hopefully that will be ED & a P2

And yes I would  pre=order.

720p Screen for me is more than enough.

I'd go for the portable that gets the community behind it, hopefully that will be ED & a P2

And yes I would  pre=order.
the problem is, a 720p screen would actually be more expensive to purchase in large quantities simoly because everyone else is buying 1080p. It would be easier and cheaper to buy 1080p

That's pure speculation because it certainly isn't true right now.

Also keep in mind that "large quantities" typically start at 10'000 parts, often times even more, so the odds of OPT needing something "in large quantities" is almost nil: they'll be looking for what they can get in small quantities.

Not enough data to properly answer this poll. I second the idea of *not* including Craig in the project in any leading role. He may be a tech. supporter, but he should certainly not have any executive power whatsoever.

$500,- dollar is an awful lot of money. I would only do that if a) my financial situation at that time allows for it. b ) the system is a *huge* improvement over the current system, both in processing power and the quality of the controls and the peripheral hardware. c) A working prototype.

I trust ED, so if he'd be leading the project that would be a huge plus in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will buy one or more future 'Pandoras' and related products, whether produced by Craig, ED, Monstercameron - or whoever, in collaboration with one another, or independently. If it's an awesome pocket PC in the Pandora tradition, you can count me in. (I'll also buy any commercial games for Pandora, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I can imagine a Monstercameron Kickstarter

"It's going to feature a Core-i7 x64 CPU with an Nvidia Tegra 5 chipset reprogrammed to work just as a GPU. It will have 27.5 hrs of battery life and a 15" 4K display all for only $250. If you support this project I promise to have it to market within a few moths or so maybe longer from the time funcding goes through."

Lol, I can imagine a Monstercameron Kickstarter

"It's going to feature a Core-i7 x64 CPU with an Nvidia Tegra 5 chipset reprogrammed to work just as a GPU. It will have 27.5 hrs of battery life and a 15" 4K display all for only $250. If you support this project I promise to have it to market within a few moths or so maybe longer from the time funcding goes through."
MonsterCameron should get a huge loan and go bankrupt to give us his dream unit! After it's crashed.. Ed can take over production ;)

Back