Reality Check - Would you really pre-order on a KS?

Would you give $500 to a Pandora 2 Kickstarter with an 18 month timeline?

• Total voters

Last edited by a moderator:
Exo, you are an insider, so you are sure that ED and Craigix will work together. Right, am I right?
I don't think you need to be an insider to find the answer to this question, you can tell pretty well from comments ED has made here. The sentence at the end of this post is particular telling:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13101-question-4-request-for-communication-for-the-icp2-team/page-2#entry247710
Huff, that is harsh. I guess sometimes reality works this way. :unsure:

So, ED wasn't particularly satisfied with Craigix's management of ICP 2: failed promises and coming up with unconvincing excuses every time when asked. 

I guess ED is confident enough that he can put out P2 without Craigix help, which I'm actually really happy about. ( you can't tell of cause)

I think it's a good news to most of us, as the pandora is made for and by the community, so whoever is in charge doesn't affect the end product. 

ED seems to know his stuffs better than Craigix from the past experience. I guess I will call this a good outcome as they have made their choices, and me personally will go with ED's pandora. 

Exo you are so damn good at finding proofs and evidences to back yourself up. I'm totally in awe.  :wub:

On a side note, if ED doesn't want to be involved in any shape of form in ICP 2. Then we need design the keyboard and other parts from scratch without relying on Craigix.  :eek:

Working with Craigix is certainly an option, but that would make the project more complicated and Craigix's attitude towards co-workers will lead ED into troubles.

I can see how Craigix suddenly fails to supply ED certain parts and add in unnecessary complication to the project. Then ED will take the blame and so on.

Hence, if we are to use new designs and parts, the community needs to start submitting ideas to ED.  :huh:

Something tells me that if ED tried to do a P2 solo , it wouldn't be a smooth ride. ie I seriously doubt Craig would just sit back and say yeah sure, build a P2 without me.

Also, the business relationships with MWeston and Dave all seem to be with Craig. Ed knows them a  bit also and could contact them to work on a P2, but if Craig wasn't agreeable to stepping aside, it could get real messy.

I cant really see a P2 being built, not at this stage, things may change if relationships change though. It would also have to wait until all P1 pre-orders are fulfilled which to me is about a year away .

Recent quote from Craig on the 19th May: 

"It's likely the P2 (if it ever happens etc.) will just appear ready to order BTW, there isn't a need for a KS at this point, the iCP2 has let us do what we needed to do."

^ Sound like someone who's ready to just step away entirely from a P2?  You decide - Don't forget that the ICP2 which Craig owns is meant to form a basis of sorts for the P2.

Craig has his "marketing" hat on again. Bait the line and just keep wiggling the hook every once in a while, even if you don't intend to catch any fish.

Something tells me that if ED tried to do a P2 solo , it wouldn't be a smooth ride. ie I seriously doubt Craig would just sit back and say yeah sure, build a P2 without me.
Doesn't really matter what Craig says or does, he can't really do anything to impede ED from making on. At best he might stop him from making something with Pandora in the name but that's not really a sticking point. I don't think ED wants to do that to begin with. He doesn't necessarily need MWeston and/or DaveC either, he has his own engineering contacts. Not to say that Craig owns either of them, they can work with whoever they want.

That doesn't mean ED and Craig won't both develop (or try to develop) their own separate devices. I can see that causing some problems, but more with the community than with each other..

Doesn't really matter what Craig says or does, he can't really do anything to impede ED from making on. At best he might stop him from making something with Pandora in the name but that's not really a sticking point. I don't think ED wants to do that to begin with. He doesn't necessarily need MWeston and/or DaveC either, he has his own engineering contacts. Not to say that Craig owns either of them, they can work with whoever they want.

That doesn't mean ED and Craig won't both develop (or try to develop) their own separate devices. I can see that causing some problems, but more with the community than with each other..
I can't see ED going solo on a new Pandora/equiv if Craig was going to kick a stink up about it.  ED doesn't come across as the type of person that would go down that path knowing Craig was going to raise all kinds of shit and resistance. If he got the blessing from Craig, then sure . 

Also, just out of curiousity , what other engineers are you referring to that ED knows?  

So basically you don't even care who's making it, so long as it's called Pandora??
If it looks like it's going to be "an awesome pocket PC in the Pandora tradition", I'll support it.  I would consider more than the name.  I'll be happy to support any sane projects managed by Craig or ED.  And while I like ARM, if someone organizes an x86 "Pandora" and it looks likely to be successful, I would support that too.

In short, I'm saying "yes I would support a Pandora 2", without the usual anti-craig sentiments.

I think you could have understood me without all this explanation.  Your question misrepresents me and implies that I am an idiot.  I would prefer that you assume I am not an idiot, when interpreting what I say.

So basically you don't even care who's making it, so long as it's called Pandora??
If it looks like it's going to be "an awesome pocket PC in the Pandora tradition", I'll support it.  I would consider more than the name.  I'll be happy to support any sane projects managed by Craig or ED.  And while I like ARM, if someone organizes an x86 "Pandora" and it looks likely to be successful, I would support that too.

In short, I'm saying "yes I would support a Pandora 2", without the usual anti-craig sentiments.

I think you could have understood me without all this explanation.  Your question misrepresents me and implies that I am an idiot.  I would prefer that you assume I am not an idiot, when interpreting what I say.
Finally!

Sorry, but I don't really know how to interpret a comment saying that you'd buy it if it were made by monstercameron, while assuming you aren't an idiot.

It sounds like you'll be willing to spend money on anything with a nice description, even if there's little chance that the person making it can do a good job. That sounds foolish to me. I think it's very understandable that the people here wouldn't want to take a chance with something made by Craig, and don't see how you couldn't understand this too..

I think what Exo's trying to say is: we can make all kinds of assumptions, but we should choose some one factually reliable to bring us p2.

If P2 were to its kickstarter tomorrow, Craigix and ED both submitted their own product.

Craigix can promise us moons and stars and say it will be at our doorsteps in 3 month, and it will be the best thing ever since Sydney meat pie floater. (sorry, have to choose sydney over your city)

It's just not likely things will come out this way. Craigix is known to constantly miss judge deadlines (intentional or not), and he would always keep informations to himself until the last minute.

So, preordering from him is more likely to fail than from ED.

ED on the other hand, has proven himself to be quite capable of communicating with people and fill up holes that were dug up by Craigix and CC. If that gentleman promised to give me a star, I should starts to prepare my Astronaut suit immediately.

So, unless they will be working together, a sensable one should always count on ED.

Exo is a good guy, he is just complicated, like all the smart individuals. Once you get to understand him, he is always your best man on providing criticisms and facts. May be he can also bring in American Mcdonalds and stuff.

My feeling is that if ED is capable of cleaning up after Craig's bad luck and/or mismanagement, then he's more than capable of starting a fresh project.

Craig would have difficulty getting community support after the P1 and the iCP2.

I believe that the iCP2 designs belong to DC and MW, and are licensed to Craig, so ED might be able to make use of them. Maybe.

Sorry, but I don't really know how to interpret a comment saying that you'd buy it if it were made by monstercameron, while assuming you aren't an idiot.
I spit my coke...okay beer, allover my monitor when I read this one.  Don't take this the wrong way, DREDD, but this was funny as hell....and it's not really about you, unless you make it about you.  Outlandish and unattainable ideas are a hallmark of cameron's...and sometimes it makes me question if anybody gets how bizarre they get.  I've learned to just not post on any of the threads that he starts, but when I read this..ha ha ha.  Thanks, Exophase...funny stuff.

I spit my coke...okay beer, all over my monitor

haha I don't mind   ;)

Anyhow I said "produced by ... monstercameron", not made by, as in he might manage / fund it.  I guess he would need some help.

I'm guessing monstercameron is not an electrical engineer.  If he turns out to be a millionaire and MWeston

or similar such boffins would work with him on his pocket x86 box it could be a success.

If we do end up making an AMD/x86 Pandora-type thing at some point, monstercameron will have been a major motivating factor for it.

My love for all things Pandora is very great, so I'd likely throw money at Pandora-type / successor projects without too many questions asked.

You can say this is foolish or generous I don't really mind, I'm just letting you all know what I personally would be likely to do.

Now go and play my lousy game and get a high score on C4A, motherfuckers.

I got a bug report that the guy can't jump.  Seriously, jump doesn't work?  Someone go try it and tell me whether you can jump.

pand2.png

I think it's very understandable that the people here wouldn't want to take a chance with something made by Craig, and don't see how you couldn't understand this too..
I do understand that, but I don't agree with it.  Personally I would want to take a chance with something made by Craig.

Perhaps you mistook me for the emperor of the world, who will force everyone to conform to his wisdom.  Granted it's an easy mistake to make, I am very regal.

Anyhow, I bet most of you fine fellows will buy or covetously desire a Craigix / MWeston & co. Pandora 2 if it's produced, regardless of what you say now.  Hopefully you won't have to pre-order it.

^ wouldn't read to much into that. The mk808b uses a dual core rk3066 soc not a quad core. Given that info is wrong, wouldn't be surprised if the rest is also.

The website is gbax.com looks like a hardware trading thing, with some pandora-related bargains.

he wants the P2 to be HIS vision and not the communities'.
 Well he consulted on the iCP2 keyboard layout, RGB backlighting and such.  The community is involved to some extent.

Most of the decisions were already made for Pandora 1 - most things should stay the same only better, I guess.

He may refer to the infinite variety of community spam discussions about Pandora 2 on the boards for inspiration.

Perhaps if people are more friendly to Craig he could feel welcome to discuss such things here and get more community involvement.

Also he is working with other people such as Mike Weston on the iCP2, is he not?

Wasn't really the specs of it... that is interesting..  I didn't even read that part. 

it's the fact it clearly states   "Pandora 2".  Which can be read many ways.

Back