Reality Check - Would you really pre-order on a KS?

Would you give $500 to a Pandora 2 Kickstarter with an 18 month timeline?

• Total voters

Grench

Forum Addict!
Most of the P2 discussions are great dreams of wild devices.

The reality is that this device will be expensive and time consuming to develop.  Given our past experiences it could easily take 18 months or more AND the first 10,000 initial units could have a true design and build cost of $500+ a pop.

So, would you really be willing to throw $500 at a Kickstarter for a P2 project that had an honest 18+ month timeline?

kickstarter the p2 now and let the interest over 18 months cover some of the production costs ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^  You probably speak for many people here.  My own interest in investing in a P2 project would probably hinge on what the OP Team looks like at that time as well.  I'm just reluctant (at this time) to single-out anyone by name.  I'm playing it safe and not taking sides...since I'm a bit of a (perceived) noobie here and all.   ;)  

I've never "pre-ordered" anything in my life and never backed a Kickstarter project, but if that's the only way that we could see a P2 happening, then I'd definitely have to go down that road....I'm a Pandora fan.

it really depends on whos behind the kickstarter. if craig is making pandora2, count me out. if ED is taking over, i'd drop $500 on a kickstarter no problem, probably blindly going into it too
Ditto to this. Having witnessed the mess Craig made of the Pandora's production and the subsequent, but predictable given the pedigree of the guys behind it, delays for the iCP2, there's no way in hell I'll be pre-ordering or kickstart-funding another one.

If ED is behind it though, I'd be more inclined to support it - even with delays - as he's more than capable of keeping us informed. Craig doesn't seem to give a toss about his customers and remains silent for months at a time, and when he does communicate it's usually evasive and only answers questions that have little to no impact on the issues at hand.

D.

Depends who was running it.

ED & co (and link? or gcw? - who knows?) --> probably

Craig --> no

It's not so much the mess Craig *made* of the Pandora that would make me hesitate, it's how he handled the messes that kept coming up. How many times did he say the cables were done and looked great or whatever? And the original "two months" when he knew danged well that the cases weren't even close to ready. And several other events. EvilDragon has always come clean with everything that was happening. I wouldn't trust ED more than Craig to produce a P2 because I think ED would do it with fewer messes, I would do it because I trust that we will actually know about the messes as they are happening, rather than finding out about them 2 years later when they've almost blown beyond control.

It's not only who does the Kickstarter, it's more who is involved in the team.

If there's Craig anywhere in a Pandora 2 team, even if he not leading it, I'd stay out of it. Everything he touches smells delays and broken promises.

There's not enough data for me to make a decision on this.   I would only be able to evaluate such a proposition once a lot more details about what the product will actually be and how it is to be produced have been determined.  My income at the time of the kickstarter would also be a factor.

- Neelix

I said yes, but of course the P2 should be an improved Pandora with similar features (keyboard, d-pad) 

If Craig is leading the team, certainly not. If Craig is part of the team but not leading, maybe...

I would need a few things:

ED running the show

Craig not involved

The option to upgrade to a capacative digitizer (I don't like resistive)

Android and SZ running simultaniously off the same Kernel

A better keyboard (hard plastic)

Support for Open GL ES 3.0

A screen of at least 6 inches @ 1080p

A Tegra 4 or 5

4 trigger buttons instead of just two

Aargh why do people keep demanding 1080p? 720p is more than enough.

A 6 inch screen is too large, 5.5" at 16:9 is the absolute largest that could plausibly fit. Unless you want to make the Pandora 2 a couple of centimeters higher, but that would seriously reduce pocketability.

I would gladly pre-order a P2 on a KS (or similar, maybe something with less fees), provided the specs are community-discussed and somewhat along the lines of what seems to be the consensus in this subforum: at least one full-SD and full-USB slot, excellent battery life, larger screen (possibly AMOLED?), better wifi, etc.

Aargh why do people keep demanding 1080p? 720p is more than enough.

A 6 inch screen is too large, 5.5" at 16:9 is the absolute largest that could plausibly fit. Unless you want to make the Pandora 2 a couple of centimeters higher, but that would seriously reduce pocketability.
Maybe for you. But for $500, I expect to get 1080p since 2+ hears from now even $200 Android phones will have 1080p. I was only stating what makes it worth it to ME personally. If it doesn't have 1080p I won't complain, I just simply won't purchase one. That would in turn mean that there would be one less sale, though.

Why would you insist on 1080p? It's overkill, a waste of power, and you'll end up using the screen at 540p because otherwise your icons and fonts will be too tiny, so the effective resolution will in practice be lower than with a 720p screen.

No no no. YOU may use it at 540p. Do not say what I will do with my device. Like I said, 1080p Android phones will be a dime-a-dozen by the time the P2 comes out. So to me it's not worth $500 at that point. If you're happy with 720p, more power to you

No no no. YOU may use it at 540p. Do not say what I will do with my device. Like I said, 1080p Android phones will be a dime-a-dozen by the time the P2 comes out. So to me it's not worth $500 at that point. If you're happy with 720p, more power to you
Oh, feel free to use your 1080p 5.5" screen at native resolution with standard GNU/Linux software. You'll need a microscope though.

Android is designed to be resolution-independent so the ridiculous dpi will not hurt the UI experience. But it's still overkill.

This is like gamers who insist they need their stuff rendered at 240 FPS because 60 FPS is not enough for them. Or like audiophiles who claim they can hear the difference between 48 bit and 32 bit sound.

Because a nice 720p would look clearer than a bad 1080p... looks like you are a number junky.

Keep chasing that dragon :)

69850.gif

Back