Reality Check - Shipping Date

@ Mossschops:

Thats not true, they are testing the boards already , if craigs latest statement is true , the molds are already being made, CE tests can be done with the prototype. 70 days I guess but Im not from the dev team so I dont know.

The thing about this is that it keeps progressing, but never as fast as it seems to be expected to progress. It's always "1-3 months away", even when those months come. And yet progress is still made. The Pandora is asymptotically approaching a release.

Fortunately, this won't go on forever and the Pandora will come out. Sometime this year, too, it seems. Hopefully I'll be able to get a second batch one for the holidays.

Are they testing the boards? Previously they had mentioned that they would ship some number out for user testing? Are the two related? I was thinking it would be nice if they would put the steps in order, but as some can run concurrently and if/then, that may be too much work or even more confusing. I had not seen anything saying that the moulds had been ordered. I was hoping that MWeston would post something as to home the 'fit test' went.

@Gruso. It might be good if as the devs post something alluding to a step those become blog entries. I don't know if the last update to the webpage showed an intent to keep it updated. If not, you might be able to clarify questions like mine above. I am spending less and less time reading the forums and primarily check your and the dev blog. Thanks to you and the other contributors for doing that.

mosschops posted on May 18 2009 at 05:58 PM said:
i wonder what the interest is on the best part of 1 million GBP as it decrease while parts are bought etc.
whatever it is, I don't think that OP actually had it: the original payments were blocked by the bank (now, I wonder who kept _those_ interests), and then I seem to remember that they mentioned paying various components as soon as they had their payments back (they didn't have the cash for mass production).

Last edited by a moderator:
lingenfr posted on May 18 2009 at 01:41 PM said:
Are they testing the boards? Previously they had mentioned that they would ship some number out for user testing? Are the two related? I was thinking it would be nice if they would put the steps in order, but as some can run concurrently and if/then, that may be too much work or even more confusing. I had not seen anything saying that the moulds had been ordered. I was hoping that MWeston would post something as to home the 'fit test' went.

@gruso. It might be good if as the devs post something alluding to a step those become blog entries. I don't know if the last update to the webpage showed an intent to keep it updated. If not, you might be able to clarify questions like mine above. I am spending less and less time reading the forums and primarily check your and the dev blog. Thanks to you and the other contributors for doing that.
Earlier in this very topic, Craig said that they were waiting on the moulds.

-God Ginrai

The way they communicate right now is probably the best. Only let us know what has been done (some major milestones) and what needs to be done.

God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 04:57 PM said:
This isn't going to find us the real date any faster, so just wait for Craig and Co. to give you an answer and/or estimation.
-God Ginrai
Until now they haven't given us a solid launchdate. Any fools guess was probably better than the official dates. IMO they have given us a very unrealistic launch date in the beginning and I'm pretty sure they knew at that time that it was practically impossible.

I don't think they are trying to give us a wrong impression of the date now. What happens now is mainly amateurism. If I would shift with launchdates like that where I work, I would have been fired a long time ago.
This project has been set up by people without experience and in an industry where it seems keeping promises and deadlines are exceptions. A small player like this will also have huge problems to demand anything from suppliers.

But... they make something we (the customer) want and that counts. The device is not locked, has all the features you want from a multimedia gaming device, you can talk to the devs, to the team. You can complain and they answer.. try that with Sony or Nintendo ;)

To remind ourselves, all Craig said was this:

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 06:39 PM said:
The moulds are the main thing we are waiting on now.
Does that mean the 30-35 days of mould-making is already ticking away? Anyone who wants to believe it does is welcome to, I would say that it does not. I'm happy to be contradicted on that. Until we hear that for sure, the rolling 2-month prediction seems sound.

I have a different prediction; I think we're only 2 weeks away from the next round of "where is my Pandora/updates/estimates?" threads in the forum. :huh:

a

aliking posted on May 18 2009 at 06:35 PM said:

Does that mean the 30-35 days of mould-making is already ticking away? Anyone who wants to believe it does is welcome to, I would say that it does not. I'm happy to be contradicted on that. Until we hear that for sure, the rolling 2-month prediction seems sound.

I have a different prediction; I think we're only 2 weeks away from the next round of "where is my Pandora/updates/estimates?" threads in the forum. :huh:

a
True.

'Waiting on' does not mean 'have ordered' nor does 'ordered' mean 'paid for and expect to receive shortly'.

b_o_b posted on May 18 2009 at 02:08 PM) The way they communicate right now is probably the best. Only let us know what has been done (some major milestones said:
and what needs to be done.
God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 04:57 PM said:
This isn't going to find us the real date any faster, so just wait for Craig and Co. to give you an answer and/or estimation.
-God Ginrai
Until now they haven't given us a solid launchdate. Any fools guess was probably better than the official dates. IMO they have given us a very unrealistic launch date in the beginning and I'm pretty sure they knew at that time that it was practically impossible.

I don't think they are trying to give us a wrong impression of the date now. What happens now is mainly amateurism. If I would shift with launchdates like that where I work, I would have been fired a long time ago.
This project has been set up by people without experience and in an industry where it seems keeping promises and deadlines are exceptions. A small player like this will also have huge problems to demand anything from suppliers.

But... they make something we (the customer) want and that counts. The device is not locked, has all the features you want from a multimedia gaming device, you can talk to the devs, to the team. You can complain and they answer.. try that with Sony or Nintendo ;)

My point was that guessing isn't gonna get us the real date any faster. It's just going to put other people into despair when they see the guesses made by the more pessimistic users.

aliking posted on May 18 2009 at 02:35 PM said:

a
If you say you are waiting for something, you imply that everything is fine on your end and you are waiting for the other end to follow through. Which means, unless Craig has a bad understanding of the English language, then yes, the days are indeed already ticking away.

-God Ginrai

Pleng posted on May 18 2009 at 12:41 PM said:
Please clarify. Does this mean we should find an additional £130 for a Wiz to enjoy it's homebrew scene, or are you suggesting we should cancel our Pandora orders and buy a Wiz?
+1. You can't suggest the Wiz as a timewaster. The overlap in the two communities exists but in terms of numbers of users its thin.

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 11:39 PM said:
Awesome! :)

God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 03:00 PM said:
If you say you are waiting for something, you imply that everything is fine on your end and you are waiting for the other end to follow through. Which means, unless Craig has a bad understanding of the English language, then yes, the days are indeed already ticking away.
Except that for just about every other major part, he has updated us saying that that part has been ordered (CNC Cases, final borads, etc).

I was under the impression that they still had a bit of stress testing to do with the final CNC case, and that MWeston was to give the go-ahead after he confirms that everything fits and that it is structurally sound. I have not read anywhere that he has given the go-ahead yet.

God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 03:00 PM said:

-God Ginrai
That is one perfectly logical interpretation, maybe the best one. However past experience shows that it doesn't pay to assume Craig is implying anything. If he means something, he's explicit. If you have to ask "does Craig mean <positive thing>?", chances are he doesn't.

The phrase "The moulds are the main thing we are waiting on now." could also be read as:

"The moulds are the outstanding item that will take the longest. So don't worry too much about this apparently huge list of outstanding items, all together it shouldn't take much longer than 30-35 days"

That's the meaning I'm taking(i.e. not much meaning, and nothing new), and I expect it to make for a less disappointed me in 30-35 days.

emil10001 posted on May 18 2009 at 03:32 PM) [quote="God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 03:00 PM said:
Except that for just about every other major part, he has updated us saying that that part has been ordered (CNC Cases, final borads, etc"].

I was under the impression that they still had a bit of stress testing to do with the final CNC case, and that MWeston was to give the go-ahead after he confirms that everything fits and that it is structurally sound. I have not read anywhere that he has given the go-ahead yet.[/quote]Except that Craig has already told us back after the Transparent case had been ordered that parts of the case were already ready for MP. http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/04/2...ass-production/

aliking posted on May 18 2009 at 03:34 PM) [quote="God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 03:00 PM said:

-God Ginrai
That is one perfectly logical interpretation, maybe the best one. However past experience shows that it doesn't pay to assume Craig is implying anything. If he means something, he's explicit. If you have to ask "does Craig mean <positive thing>?", chances are he doesn't.

The phrase "The moulds are the main thing we are waiting on now." could also be read as:

"The moulds are the outstanding item that will take the longest. So don't worry too much about this apparently huge list of outstanding items, all together it shouldn't take much longer than 30-35 days"

That's the meaning I'm taking(i.e. not much meaning, and nothing new"], and I expect it to make for a less disappointed me in 30-35 days.[/quote]That would be an incorrect use of the word "waiting". So, like I said: Unless Craig has a bad understanding of the English language, then yes, the days are indeed already ticking away.

EDIT: To better help you understand, it's like a vending machine. You can't be waiting for a canned drink until you have already put the money in and pushed the button. So by saying he is waiting, then Craig must have already put the money in and pushed the button on the vending machine. If he has not done either of those two, then he is not waiting, and he is using the word wrong.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai posted on May 18 2009 at 04:02 PM said:
Except that Craig has already told us back after the Transparent case had been ordered that parts of the case were already ready for MP. http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/04/2...ass-production/
Only parts, and he never said which ones. We knew before that different various parts were to be manufactured, but we didn't have details. The main case parts, however, is a large hurtle and we have been kept up to speed on that, as far as I'm aware.

CC_machine posted on May 18 2009 at 08:29 PM said:
Pleng posted on May 18 2009 at 12:41 PM said:
Please clarify. Does this mean we should find an additional £130 for a Wiz to enjoy it's homebrew scene, or are you suggesting we should cancel our Pandora orders and buy a Wiz?
+1. You can't suggest the Wiz as a timewaster. The overlap in the two communities exists but in terms of numbers of users its thin.
craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 11:39 PM said:
Awesome! :)

The number of wiz users are thin? There won't be more than 4k Pandora users until the end of the year (most likely) and possibly next year. I would say if you are looking for numbers, then the Wiz is actually the better bet at least in the short run. Don't forget that the GP32 and GP2X both sold many times that number. I don't know how many Wiz units have shipped, but it most likely will be way more than 4k by the end of the summer. They may have shipped that many already.

Chris

Craig said he was hoping to get the first 500 out for the end of May, so he could send some out as completed demo units for review etc, so the case mould is either done or due to be finished soon imo, don`t see how you can send a finished demo unit if you don`t have a case.

now where did I hear that?

umm!

edit: comments in last video at 2:30ish for some of it (review units, final cnc case, test run of boards)

still trying to find the "end of May" reference

christo930 posted on May 18 2009 at 09:22 PM said:
I don't know how many Wiz units have shipped, but it most likely will be way more than 4k by the end of the summer. They may have shipped that many already.
They haven't even made that many.

btw I thought after the first batch is done (moulds made, etc), OP could churn out five thousand a month or some ridiculous number if they had to. Wether the market is there to support it is the real determination. I reckon it will be.

GunPei2X posted on May 18 2009 at 06:23 PM) [quote="christo930 posted on May 18 2009 at 09:22 PM said:
I don't know how many Wiz units have shipped, but it most likely will be way more than 4k by the end of the summer. They may have shipped that many already.
They haven't even made that many.

btw I thought after the first batch is done (moulds made, etc"], OP could churn out five thousand a month or some ridiculous number if they had to. Wether the market is there to support it is the real determination. I reckon it will be.[/quote]They have the ability (from the plastics manufacturer) to churn about 5000 cases a DAY, IIRC. This doesn't reflect at all on their ability to make entire Pandoras, though.

hobbyman II posted on May 18 2009 at 10:24 PM said:
Craig said he was hoping to get the first 500 out for the end of May, so he could send some out as completed demo units for review etc, so the case mould is either done or due to be finished soon imo, don`t see how you can send a finished demo unit if you don`t have a case.

now where did I hear that?

umm!
edit: comments in last video at 2:30ish for some of it (review units, final cnc case, test run of boards)

still trying to find the "end of May" reference

i doubt the end of may still stands, being as its less than 2 weeks away.

Back