Quite a bit for you to read!

silicon = Silizium
silicone = Silikon

It's amazing how many native English speakers (at least in Britain) get this one wrong.

I've never heard anyone use "silicone" to refer to the semiconducting element though...

Yes, it's true that even a number of native English speakers will write "silicon" (the semi-conductor/element) when they mean "silicone" (the synthetic polymer), but I've never seen the reverse mistake myself. (Incidentally, the polymer is named such because it is based on chains of silicon and oxygen atoms, so the names are related).

I still have a PCMCIA Wi-Fi card. It's a 54G card. I use it to connect a 2003 IBM Thinkpad to the network. The computer can take a mini-PCI card, but you have to get the one that IBM sold with the laptop, or it won't work correctly. I haven't gone through the trouble of acquiring the correct model.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry, but it looks a little ugly for me, not very polished. Hope you are right ED and this is due to bad lighting. Will you receive the full case in black or just the screen zone?

Just use some bright spotted light or a flashlighting on any device with such a case and it will always look horrible.
I know that from taking pictures of my products for the shop.

Most of the times I simply remove the glare with photoshop.

Just use some bright spotted light or a flashlighting on any device with such a case and it will always look horrible.

+Can confirm, I get a hint of blue when putting a flashlight on a black floppy disk.

I planned to make another newspost this weekend, but I had too much work to do...

These are two of the last missing puzzles pieces: The sealing for the speakers.

Looks good. Does the Pyra use those the same part for the speakers on both sides or will each side be slightly different?

I'm looking forward to a new news post as this one has, albeit with my own involvement, gone completely off track. Here are a few topics of particular interest to me. If you have the time or feel like including them - I can be patient too.

What are the remaining missing puzzle pieces? The one that comes to mind is the thermal solution using thermal pads and a more recently noted a piece of aluminum. I don't think any of use have seen the aluminum piece and can only speculate where it goes into the design. Can you elaborate?

Has there been a decision or resolution on the eMMC throttling which maybe an issue maybe a non-issue? I understand that @hns surgically hand edited out the MUX on one board to go straight to eMMC (great work @hns - that is some fine soldering!). How did that work out?

Filtered into this thread were snippets that look like @zmatt had found other errata that has been getting worked through. Are any of those substantive enough to prevent using the existing 570 SoC board batch? It may be too early to tell.

Thanks again - all updates are welcome!

Thanks for the reply ED, just one quick question that I forgot to do before, hope you can answer. If I remember well, you said some time ago that the molds need to be (like) "polish" when they are completly finished and before the mass production. Did I remember well? In case of yes, I assume this piece isn't from the polished version of the mold, am I right?

the molds need to be polish when they are completly finished
I thought they were greek?
71e.jpg

The computer can take a mini-PCI card, but you have to get the one that IBM sold with the laptop, or it won't work correctly. I haven't gone through the trouble of acquiring the correct model.

I distinctly remember swapping a mini-pci wifi card from my own laptop (a Compaq) over to my friend's IBM. It refused to work until I modified his bios somehow (via Linux or FreeBSD live-cd). However, I had to buy another card for my laptop because his did not work on mine. My bios was also locked down, but with no way to "fix" it. DERP.

I believe they do this to comply with FCC laws and such.

Edit: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card <- I did the bios fix, but I did it from the bash shell directly. It was scary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply ED, just one quick question that I forgot to do before, hope you can answer. If I remember well, you said some time ago that the molds need to be (like) "polish" when they are completly finished and before the mass production. Did I remember well? In case of yes, I assume this piece isn't from the polished version of the mold, am I right?
I think they need to be hardened, rather than polished. Probably a matter of heating them up then quenching them. The shape shouldn't change much, and the process is designed to reduce the mould deformation through use. What you're looking at is the matte texture under directional lighting, I suspect.

I distinctly remember swapping a mini-pci wifi card from my own laptop (a Compaq) over to my friend's IBM. It refused to work until I modified his bios somehow (via Linux or FreeBSD live-cd). However, I had to buy another card for my laptop because his did not work on mine. My bios was also locked down, but with no way to "fix" it. DERP.

Yes, that is a common problem, but I'm not sure it is actually the problem with this laptop. As I recall from trying a different card, it would work for a few minutes, and then quit. Then you could reboot to get it to work for a short time again. Usually, the BIOS issue just makes it so other cards won't work at all, so I thought this was rather strange. It seems like the card that works is some kind of Ralink based model, but I may be remembering wrong. I haven't checked for a long time.

I believe they do this to comply with FCC laws and such.

Edit: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card <- I did the bios fix, but I did it from the bash shell directly. It was scary.

I think the "comply with FCC laws" excuse is not really valid. I think they do it to make sure you will get parts from them at 100% markup and then claim they do it to make sure of FCC compliance.

Seems like i have to make an Fake Acident whit my Modell Railway, so nobody whill get harm if whe make "derailed Treadh " Memes..
The Pyra Parts ditnt look good, due to the Lightning, but even if they also ditnt look good in natural, as long they work much much better than the Pandora Case, nothing else matters..
Great to hear, whe now have every parts, whe need ready, now whe need every part more than 1000 x and the Pyra shouldnt be to long away..

Back