Pyra News: Springs are brilliant!

Brilliant!
Brilliant?
Maybe.
But not cheaper.

If you want these sensors, buy the mobile edition.
The sensors are the main reason I bought the mobile edition.

The second reason was to use the Pyra as phone. But now my old phone died pacially on me.
(The charging port broke and the charger chircuit released the magic smoke after the charger died. Now I have to charge the batterie on a lab suply.)

The second reason was to use the Pyra as phone. But now my old phone died pacially on me.
(The charging port broke and the charger chircuit released the magic smoke after the charger died. Now I have to charge the batterie on a lab suply.)
Surely you can do 2 Months™ without phone.

Hi there,

I haven't followed the Pyra development with that much attention, but I'm pretty interested in it for potentially getting my feet wet again with console/portable device programming. Is there any word on an expected release date or is that something of a taboo question? If so, I didn't ask anything :) I understand because Evildragon seems rather stressed already.

Thanks!
chn

It has always been planned for Two Months (TM) after anyone asks, which you just did, so I guess the correct answer is "in two months". Please ask again when these two months are gone if it is not out yet :-D

The question isn't taboo, it just doesn't have a firm answer. This is deliberate, so as not to risk promising something that then can't be delivered when promised. The Pyra will be released when it's ready and the mass production reaches a point where ED can start shipping units. When exactly that will be remains to be seen, but with such a transparent production process we can all see what progress is being made, as it is being made, which helps keep many of us engaged and interested in the project while we wait.

-Neelix

Well, tomorrow I'm leaving for Greece to test the (hopefully) fully working final cases.
Global Components is looking into the mass production right now... so it seems we're getting closer.

Only thing I'm a bit worried about is the software - it's still nigh impossible to find devs with time who are able to do low-level coding :/

Exciting week :)

Hmm... how long does it take to learn the coding required. Wish I could help with that, although perhaps if there's something that a not-low-level programmer could take a look at(?)...

Hi there,

I haven't followed the Pyra development with that much attention, but I'm pretty interested in it for potentially getting my feet wet again with console/portable device programming. Is there any word on an expected release date or is that something of a taboo question? If so, I didn't ask anything :) I understand because Evildragon seems rather stressed already.

Thanks!
chn

To temper your expectations a lot of us have been preorderers for years.
[doublepost=1563208879,1563208739][/doublepost]
Only thing I'm a bit worried about is the software - it's still nigh impossible to find devs with time who are able to do low-level coding :/

I think once the hardware is out it will be better/easier. If not at that point I would be willing to put some money towards hiring a dev.

I would be very interested to hear the details on this. Are low-level coders needed before the Pyra can be released and if so, what exactly is still missing? Or is this just a concern about general dev support after it has been released?
Does anybody know?

I would be very interested to hear the details on this. Are low-level coders needed before the Pyra can be released and if so, what exactly is still missing? Or is this just a concern about general dev support after it has been released?
Does anybody know?
I believe EvilDragon has always planned to release it when the hardware is ready, even if the software is incomplete. It just means there may not be 3D acceleration at first.

I believe EvilDragon has always planned to release it when the hardware is ready, even if the software is incomplete. It just means there may not be 3D acceleration at first.

And overdriven speakers at the moment, if the volume is too loud.
Headset works fine, but the DC Offset in the audio chip needs to be set properly for the speakers to work 100%.

And overdriven speakers at the moment, if the volume is too loud.
Headset works fine, but the DC Offset in the audio chip needs to be set properly for the speakers to work 100%.
Oh, and that involves low-level programming?

Oh, and that involves low-level programming?

Yes, as far as I know the driver hasn't that parameter included, so someone needs to add that register properly into the driver :)
At least Nikolaus took a quick look at it and said he'd need to look into it to get it working, so it's not just a simple driver config.

Well, tomorrow I'm leaving for Greece to test the (hopefully) fully working final cases.
Global Components is looking into the mass production right now... so it seems we're getting closer.

Did you try on Twitter? Did you try to do something like the guys of purism are doing, putting a video a day showing Purism Phone capabilities even if it is not finished (they are using the devkit for the videos)? IDK, but I think this project could hit more people than it is hitting, but each time somebody make a comment the "we are niche" memes appear.

And I say this because I see a tons of people retweeting stuff from librem, purism and other devices, but none from Pyra... Becase there is nothing to share (no videos, no blog entries, nothing).

And please, do not interpret my message like an attack or trolling: It's just criticism. Positive criticism. In fact, I try to help saying this kind of things. This project needs to be more better known by more people and, maybe that way, we can find developers for different stuff.

The Pandora video-a-day things only came out once he'd got production up and running as I recall. I guess if he's planning similar this time then that'll happen a similar way. Either way, I'm confident there'll be plenty of videos out showing what it can do once it's out, from ED nnd others.

Just for clarification, the Purism videos are like 10 seconds long each, but it take the people's attention:

As you can see, this one has +2k views which is the average views per video they has.

Now, with Pyra you have the same average viewer range but in the gap of 5 years compared with Purism which's gap is of 2/3 weeks. I know these are different products, but I am pretty sure that there is tons of people that doesn't know about Pyra (even about Pandora) out there just becasue it hasn't been announced enough.

Well, the problem is:
With the Pandora, my main job was handling the community. I was NOT handling any of the hardware production, etc.
AND we had the first 500 Pandoras out in the wild, so devs were releasing stuff on it already.
The the shop was a lot smaller (only focussed on the GP2x), so a lot less work to do here.

These days, I have to handle the development of the Pyra, handle the shop (to keep money rolling in), handle the taxes stuff for it (which is a lot more than before) and so on.
Additionally, as no devs are releasing software for it, I would have to port everything myself.. which would need even more time.

So yeah, I have a LOT more to do than back when I did handle the Pandora publicity. Basically, I've now taken the job Craig had back then but no one has taken over my job of doing publicity, posting news and creating videos.

I spent about 2 - 3 hours for one of the "One video per day"-Pandora videos. My hope is that once I send ptitSeb a new unit and the OS has been setup so that we have some hardware acceleration and / or 3D going so have games running at a nice speed that I'll find the time to do videos.
After all, development should now be finished, so that's one thing less I have to take care of, which mean I can spend more that time creating videos.

But I first need to have something running on the system in order to show it off :)

I wouldnt mind if the first few months arend "Perfekt" whe arend by Heidi Klums Next Topmodel ^^
I think the Magic of the New Device would even make me happy if its nothing more than a "Doorstop" which it isnt:

- Can it boot at the current state??
- Can it recharge at the current state??
- Run some Texteditors even if its use all 4 Cores (or 2 Cores) ??

Want it explode if i put it in my Pockets??

If the Answers are Yes, then i think i will be happy in the first few months..

Does anybody know?

Think of it like the pi4 that was just released. The hardware can support h265 hardware decoding. The pi4 cant do it right now though because it hasn't been coded yet.

Low level is a very small subset of programmers too unfortunately.

Back