Release public beta test

Feature request: Private apps, which only you or people you have sent the link can access (the app does not show on the front-page, nor the search)

This could be useful for upload-testing, because when you upload an app you might not be sure whether all details in the PXML might show as expected or whether something is missing (so this would act as a preview and you could make your app public as soon as you like it).

This could also be useful for beta-testing, where you distribute the app to certain members you want to give access only.

Oh, also gift codes: Authors of commercial apps should be able to request a bunch of codes the user can enter to unlock a commercial app without paying (so you can distribute some free copies via the repo - sure you can just give away the file, but then you would also have to distribute every subsequent update to the same people).

Last edited by a moderator:
well it does already keep a list of files you have download and PNDManager under the hood also has access to this, so in theory it could already be done (assuming you downloaded all your PND's whilst you were logged in).

An addition here - Would it be possible to add some button for "I have this already"? As in, when you've downloaded something from the repo, but forgotten to log in, and then the next time you go there, log in, and realize that your newly installed app is not on your profile, it'd be nice to mark something as owned already, instead of downloading it again just to get it in your list?

Excuse the waffling - I'm having a terrible head cold and my brain is not capable of coherent writing. Hope you get my drift anyway.

Oh, also gift codes: Authors of commercial apps should be able to request a bunch of codes the user can enter to unlock a commercial app without paying (so you can distribute some free copies via the repo - sure you can just give away the file, but then you would also have to distribute every subsequent update to the same people).

App owners can use the repo to gift people copies of there game permanently (including any future update) so they don't have to buy it, so codes really aren't needed, in fact would probably make it more clunky.

An addition here - Would it be possible to add some button for "I have this already"? As in, when you've downloaded something from the repo, but forgotten to log in, and then the next time you go there, log in, and realize that your newly installed app is not on your profile, it'd be nice to mark something as owned already, instead of downloading it again just to get it in your list?

Excuse the waffling - I'm having a terrible head cold and my brain is not capable of coherent writing. Hope you get my drift anyway.

Nice idea I could do something like this.

App owners can use the repo to gift people copies of there game permanently (including any future update) so they don't have to buy it, so codes really aren't needed, in fact would probably make it more clunky.
Good, I did not know this.

What about private apps though?

Could it be that the RSS Feed is not 100% conform?

I tried various newsreaders using Android.

A lot of them don't load the feed, Google Reader uses the original date instead of the last update date... so the entries are messed up in their sorting order.

Feature suggestion:

Give the possibility to enter a link during the upload process of a new pnd and add it to the detail view of a pnd (much like additional info). Use case: guide people directly to the appropriate thread in the Software News/Beta section (maybe the links could me limited to the openpandora - domain for security reasons).

Another feature request, which crossed my mind a while ago actually: Update information / Version history

Currently when you re-upload a PND it will replace the old one and notify users of this, but you can't see what changed and whether a redownload of the 200mb Frogatto package is worthwhile. Some developers manually put a small changelog in the "additional info" section, but size there is limited and why not create a dedicated field for that.

I am thinking of a text-box, on the page that asks for your confirmation of the overwriting progress (after you upload the PND), where you could enter a short changelog.

This information could then be displayed on the main page as an additional box (maybe collapsed by default like the package contents) and next to the version history. Also it could be made available via JSON, so PNDManager can pick it up and display it somewhere.

Btw, is the "additional info" published somewhere for PNDManager to pick up? I noticed the comments get displayed in the latest version, so why not this (might even more useful) - though if it is I am in the wrong place to ask obviously.

Back