Beta Public Beta Test

milkshake said:
though i guess archiving old versions is something everyone needs to be discussed as this takes lots of server space and would also mean changing the repo json specs.
Speaking of taking up lots of server space, the nearly 300mb "Battle for Wesnoth" currently has two versions uploaded on the repo:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=wesnoth-1.8
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=wesnoth-1.9

Maybe it would be possible for devs to send out some kind of message to everyone who'd downloaded the old version, through an application like PNDStore, that there's also a new, separately-uploaded version available? I imagine PNDStore could act as a kind of RSS feed for application news, maybe. I don't know, just thinking aloud.

Obviously some devs want to have more than one version of the programs they upload.

milkshake said:
@Esn it already allows 3 letter usernames
Thank you; this means I've now signed up. :)

P.S. Boy, 200 characters is a really short space to write a review in... any particular reason it can't be longer, say 1000?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alec yeah ill have to look at where we can move things around but at the moment as it works its not a priority but im listening :)

@Esn lol 200 char limit is for a comment... haha not an review of the application.
maybe i should add a review section of my site later on ... thats a thought :)

UPDATE:

OK I had a few people request this so......

I have added an option to stay logged in :) if you tick the box for this when you log in, every time you visit the site you will auto login (seamlessly without you knowing).
of course this is cookie based so if you don't enable them it doesn't work, also I have set an expiry date on the cookie to 30 days but that's plenty right?

I hope this really does encourage comments and app ratings. :)

milkshake said:
@Esn lol 200 char limit is for a comment... haha not an review of the application.
maybe i should add a review section of my site later on ... thats a thought :)
I don't really see the difference between a "comment" and a "review" - they're the same thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm not talking about IGN-like reviews, of course, but more quick ones about how well the program works and maybe a few tips for using it. 200 characters is just not enough; the File Archive allows more, and that's been very useful. Youtube allows 500, if I'm not mistaken.

UPDATE:

replaced version number with "date updated" from the main list views on the homepage as some people suggested they wanted the date on there and there wasn't room for both.
if a file is updated since your last visit it will show either "new" or "updated" depending on whether or not its a brand new pnd or an updated one.

bare in mind I have only just implemented this so it requires you to visit the site and generate a cookie before it will work, so it may not work the very next time u visit, but it should the time after, as long as a file as been added/updated :) - be careful though because as soon as you refresh the page a new cookie with time of last visit is generated so all the "new"/"updated" indicators will vanish.

this was only a simple implementation if I want to keep the indicators on there untill u visit the application it would get a lot more complex, so we shall see how it goes doing it the simple way and if people aren't happy, ill start implementing the complex/advanced version.

Thanks! I was also wondering if you could add the date to the main list when you sort all apps by "latest":
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&s=new
I'm thinking what could work is just adding the date right before the version number, so for GIMP for example it would be:
"2011-04-06 - 2.6.11.1"
and for PNDStore it would be:
"2011-04-06 - 0.1.0.0"

Well, whichever date format you want to use. I think putting the year first makes more sense, since the other way around isn't quite as universal (Americans like to use MM/DD/YYYY, for example).

I'm from the uk and DD/MM/YYYY is how we sat the date over here, IV never heard of putting the year first being more universal, what makes u think that?

putting the year first is easier for organization... on a pc, having images (for example) with the dates they were taken having the year first will organize a lot better (ie 2010-12-31 will be before 2011-01-01 vs 01-01-2011 showing up before 12-31-2010)... at least that's MY logic... and it's why I use that instead of the American way...

Also, some bug reports:

ramdefrag has been in the top-rated apps list for several days, despite being disabled. Since it's disabled, it can't be downrated, meaning it'll never leave that list. If an app is disabled, it probably shouldn't appear in lists on your site, right?

I made a slight update to The Lonely Tower yesterday. I successfully validated its PXML against the schema, but it still gave me a warning:
Code:
there where still some errors/improvements you could make/fix which we were able to bypass, maybe
you would like to fix those for next time?
Array
(
    [package] => Array
        (
            [version] => Array
                (
                    [type] => 
                )

)

)
I think it's trying to tell me that I should specify a version type (the "alpha", "beta", "release" tags), but it's not very clear. Furthermore, those tags are optional in the spec, so I don't think it should be complaining. But I suppose that's up for debate.

Tempel said:
YYYY-MM-DD is actually an ISO standard. It also makes the most sense to me since it puts all the digits in order of significance, the same way that we write numbers.

this may be true but what everyone is overlooking is this is not how i store the date anyway this is how im displaying the date and as far as im aware when people talk about a date the general rule of thumb is i.e. today would be
thursday the 7th of april , 2011

see how it goes from DD to MM to YYYY thats because its easier for humans to understand this way.

its great that there is an iso standard but thats easier for computers/software to read those dates not humans.

at least thats how i feel, do people not agree?

milkshake said:
Tempel said:
YYYY-MM-DD is actually an ISO standard. It also makes the most sense to me since it puts all the digits in order of significance, the same way that we write numbers.
its great that there is an iso standard but thats easier for computers/software to read those dates not humans.

at least thats how i feel, do people not agree?

I prefer to read DD-MM-YYYY, that's how I would personally write or display the date. However, for date stamps, or in a program I'd use YYYYMMDD.

Dead1nside said:
I prefer to read DD-MM-YYYY, that's how I would personally write or display the date. However, for date stamps, or in a program I'd use YYYYMMDD.

:) thats the whole point, this is for displaying purposes only, you can have the date on ur pc or in a program however you want but when simply displaying the date in human preffereble format DDMMYYYY is the way to go IMO

Where is mtPaint? Can't find it anymore. It was there once for a while, maybe just for testing? Actualy, I miss some (for me) important programs. I thought they don't have to be directly uploaded but just somewhere in the other archives and this site just finds it then. I guess I understood some things wrong ^^""""

And I get funny error messages when clicking here and there:
zwischenablage011snv.jpg

fusion_power said:
Where is mtPaint? Can't find it anymore. It was there once for a while, maybe just for testing? Actualy, I miss some (for me) important programs. I thought they don't have to be directly uploaded but just somewhere in the other archives and this site just finds it then. I guess I understood some things wrong ^^""""

And I get funny error messages when clicking here and there:
zwischenablage011snv.jpg

it doesnt do that yet no.

and that erro has been fixed thanks.

milkshake said:
Tempel said:

this may be true but what everyone is overlooking is this is not how i store the date anyway this is how im displaying the date and as far as im aware when people talk about a date the general rule of thumb is i.e. today would be
thursday the 7th of april , 2011

see how it goes from DD to MM to YYYY thats because its easier for humans to understand this way.
I disagree. Consider that a good chunk of the world would say april 7th, 2011, leading to a MM-DD-YYYY format, which is common in North America. And unless the day is greater than 12, it's easy to mix up which is month and which is day. ISO is the only unambiguous one, and to me it's more natural due to the order of significance.

But this is a real bikeshed-painting issue, that's not even worth the number of posts that have already been made on it. Do what you think is best, milkshake.

PS: Looks like you fixed the issue with ramdefrag already. That was quick :).

:)

also do you think that the "additional info" my site has should be included in the repo spec? or not?

milkshake said:
Dead1nside said:

:) thats the whole point, this is for displaying purposes only, you can have the date on ur pc or in a program however you want but when simply displaying the date in human preffereble format DDMMYYYY is the way to go IMO
I'm with you. I respect that there's an ISO standard and I use it myself for file naming, but for plain English display, use a plain English format.

Whatever date format you choose, I would just like for it to be included before the version number in the full list of "latest" apps, as I said previously.

I'm for a YYYYMMDD format myself because it's the only one that's universal (I hate it when American sites use the MMDDYYYY format, which is the standard over there, and I imagine they hate it just as much when other sites do the opposite, since you can easily get confused between which one is the day and which one is the month, unless it's bigger than 12. Because these are the two main formats, I'm confused half the time about what the actual date is unless the year is listed first). Also, it's easier to see at a glance (when you read from a computer screen, you're not saying it aloud as if to another person). "Plain English" is when you actually say it aloud, i.e. "7th of April" or "April 7th"; you don't speak out numbers. Notice also that Youtube (which is American) says "April 7th" rather than "7th of April", which seems to be the European format.

But again, it doesn't matter too much, as long as there's a way to see all the dates in the list along with the version numbers...

Esn said:
Notice also that Youtube (which is American) says "April 7th" rather than "7th of April", which seems to be the European format.
You sure about that?
I would have thought that it would be based on the locale of the pc the person is using to format it for that region.

If not, then thats sloppy of them.
To add my 2 cents, I'm with you milkshake. Internal, or filenames I would use YYYYMMDD but are different to what I would present to the user.

Can't you make it format based on locale? That way most people would be happy. And if they like to have YYYYMMDD then they probably have already set the pc up to show all dates in that format anyway. Can the locale be set to format YYYYMMDD anyway, is that a valid locale type formatting?

Doesn't whatever you have used to program the site have locale functionality?

Oh, and well done with the site, I'm really liking it and a worthy successor to the box! And that's really high praise :D

milkshake said:
also do you think that the "additional info" my site has should be included in the repo spec? or not?
Hmm, I don't think so. If something's added to the spec, it should be applicable to most any repo that implements it; I'm not sure that an "additional info" field would be useful anywhere else. But it might be in the future, so we can always reconsider. Of course, if you wanted, you could always use a custom field like the spec allows for: "x-milkshakes-repo-additional-info" or something to that effect. But then a client would need to be made to read that field, and that's not something I'd bother adding to PNDstore for a while. I'd suggest leaving it for now.

Back