Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

let the man/woman/cyborg have a break :)

we did make it to 800 sometime though, but i'm not sure if it was before the deadline.

And for my final post on this

The 60th 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

We got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)
18 Pre-orders in the fifth 24 hours (525)
26 Pre-orders in the sixth 24 hours (551)
12 Pre-orders in the seventh 24 hours (563)
10 Pre-orders in the eight 24 hours (573)
17 Pre-orders in the ninth 24 hours (590)
11 Pre-orders in the tenth 24 hours (601)
9 Pre-orders in the eleventh 24 hours (610) - Note , the number would have been higher, however a number of duplicate orders were removed.
11 Pre-orders in the 12th 24 hours (621)
8 Pre-orders in the 13th 24 hours (629)
16 Pre-orders in the 14th 24 hours (645)
8 Pre-orders in the 15th 24 hours (653) - Adjusted
12 Pre-orders in the 16th 24 hours (665)
10 Pre-orders in the 17th 24 hours (675)
7 Pre-orders in the 18th 24 hours (682)
5 Pre-orders in the 19th 24 hours (687)
8 Pre-orders in the 20th 24 hours (695)
3 Pre-orders in the 21st 24 hours (698)
5 Pre-orders in the 22nd 24 hours (703)
3 Pre-orders in the 23rd 24 hours (706)
4 Pre-orders in the 24th 24 hours (710)
2 Pre-orders in the 25th 24 hours (712)
4 Pre-orders in the 26th 24 hours (716)
5 Pre-orders in the 27th 24 hours (721)
5 Pre-orders in the 28th 24 hours (726)
3 Pre-orders in the 29th 24 hours (729)
6 Pre-orders in the 30th 24 hours (735)
5 Pre-orders in the 31st 24 hours (740)
4 Pre-orders in the 32nd 24 hours (744)
6 Pre-orders in the 33rd 24 hours (750)
4 Pre-orders in the 34th 24 hours (754)
1 Pre-order in the 35th 24 hours (755)
2 Pre-orders in the 36th 24 hours (757)
2 Pre-orders in the 37th 24 hours (759)
1 Pre-order in the 38th 24 hours (760)
2 Pre-orders in the 39th 24 hours (762)
2 Pre-orders in the 40th 24 hours (764)
3 Pre-orders in the 41st 24 hours (767)
4 Pre-orders in the 42nd 24 hours (771)
1 Pre-order in the 43rd 24 hours (772)
0 Pre-orders in the 44th 24 hours (772) - a couple of cancellations
6 Pre-orders in the 45th 24 hours (778)
4 Pre-orders in the 46th 24 hours (782)
0 Pre-orders in the 47th 24 hours (782)
1 Pre-order in the 48th 24 hours (783)
4 Pre-orders in the 49th 24 hours (787)
2 Pre-orders in the 50th 24 hours (789)
-1 Pre-orders in the 51st 24 hours (788) - some cancellations
2 Pre-orders in the 52nd 24 hours (790)
-1 Pre-orders in the 53rd 24 hours (789) - some cancellations
1 Pre-order in the 54th 24 hours (790)
2 Pre-orders in the 55th 24 hours (792)
1 Pre-order in the 56th 24 hours (793)
2 Pre-orders in the 57th 24 hours (795)
0 Pre-orders in the 58th 24 hours (795)
2 Pre-orders in the 59th 24 hours (797)
1 Pre-order in the 60th 24 hours (798)

Daily average over the last 7 days was 1.29 Pre-order a day

Notes: Daily figures also include converted Pre Pre-orders. As such , actual new pre-orders would be a little less than quoted figures.
............I'm only running these to 60 days
[doublepost=1467246585,1467246281][/doublepost]At the current rate of pre-orders a day, it would take a further 5.2 months to get an additional 200 preorders (to reach 1000 pre-orders)

The tally after 60 days of PYRA pre-orders was 798 pre-orders. As a comparison, the GPD WIN Indiegogo campaign managed to get 1750 pre-orders in the same timeframe (60 days).

Might be worth doing some more to push the pre-orders and get the word out. A Thunderclap might be an idea

Last edited:
jhzeqt.jpg

this is in APC magazine here in Australia but the price is listed as 330 Euro.... no mention that this is just the downpayment for pre-order..

this is in APC magazine here in Australia but the price is listed as 330 Euro.... no mention that this is just the downpayment for pre-order..
Proving once again that modern journalists don't need to be able to read.
Since it's printed on paper it isn't even possible to correct the mistake afterwards, well done!

typical sloppy jurno. just reprint the publicity blurb... wait its too long? well cut a bit out doesnt matter what..
no mention of 3G/4G mobile or wireless networking.

EDIT just sent them a short polite email informing them of their mistake.

Last edited:
Just ran the numbers, comparing the Indiegogo campaign price for the GPD Win and final price of the DragonBox Pyra with the amount of pre-orders for both. Since the Pyra is a lot costlier, it's basically the same amount of money and actually more for the Pyra if you count the remaining 50+ pre-pre-orders.

Proving once again that modern journalists don't need to be able to read.
Since it's printed on paper it isn't even possible to correct the mistake afterwards, well done!

It's also proving once again that the way how the prices are shown in the shop is shitty. The author of this magazine article isn't the first one to make that mistake.

typical sloppy jurno. just reprint the publicity blurb... wait its too long? well cut a bit out doesnt matter what..
no mention of 3G/4G mobile or wireless networking.

EDIT just sent them a short polite email informing them of their mistake.
Which one? As you pointed out, they omitted a lot of significant info, including that the price they listed is the downpayment. At least It is some additional coverage.

BTW, what is that magazine about?

Even though the page has been revised a bit, it's still very easy for someone to see that page and think the price is 330 euro.

The price area does not say downpayment. The downpayment bit is on the left, where to a newb to the Pyra , doesn't easily connect with the price on the right being a downpayment.

Plus the final price is buried in the wall of text.

It's not good, sorry to say. But it is still terrible.

On the item page, to avoid confusion and for clarity, the price area should be something like

Final price xxxxxx

To make a Pre-order , you pay a downpayment of xxxxx now and the remainder xxxx when the Pyra is ready to be shipped.

You need to understand that people are used to seeing things a certain way. No point fighting against that. when people see an item page, they immediately look at the price area , if it's not clear there that it's a downpayment and what the final price is, then expect confusion.

Last edited:
I agree, but I would never purchase something without at least reading the product description. Usually I do a ton of research first, even for cheap things (I did many hours of research over the course of 3 weeks on something that only cost me $30, but I wanted to make sure it was the one I wanted...after deciding on one I finally confirmed it is a limited edition, so I was a bit lucky it didn't sell out while comparing other things and doing all my reading).

I would never drop hundreds of dollars on something without looking through the page I was purchasing on. If you do, it is your own fault for missing the bold text at the top of the description. If anyone is misleading potential buyers it is those spreading bad info without bothering to take a few minutes to fact check. More time was probably spent aligning the picture on the page...

Well, I don't oppose your idea to clarify further, but I don't think I'm any bright and I never got confused about prices. In any case a journalist job is to read the wall of text before reporting on it.
If a reporter can't read he can't write and if he can't write he's no reporter.
Btw, for me pages without walls of text are usually less clear. I'm never sure my assumptions about what is not said are like the author's so I prefer everything explicit, black on white (or anything readable, I don't want to start another color "war", but the shop has, or had, one page that is not readable due to the text and background colors, for me that's worse than the price placement or price blurbs).

Yep, more info is always better when trying to buy something, and, like I said, it is also a good idea to try to get outside info. In this case, several outside sources are not mentioning that it is a downpayment.

It seems like being a journalist is super easy. You just write whatever you want, and don't bother making sure you have your shit straight. Maybe I should consider a career change.

Also , I forgot to mention one important additional thing before. Even if you did see the final price area in the wall of text (missing the downpayment bit before that section). And lets take the standard addition for example. If you read the final price of the standard model as 500 Euro in the wall of text, then scrolled down to see the Pre-order page of the standard model say 330 Euro, it's still very easy to think it's 330 Euro. Why?. Because it said the final price will be 500 Euro in the final prices area of the wall of text. And when you see the pre-order price area , it says 330 Euro. The thing here , is that people expect Pre-order prices to be lower than final prices - it's the incentive of a pre-order in many cases (not all) . So it makes perfect sense to think ah, final price is 500 Euro, but I can pre-order it now for 330 Euro. Great.

Same thing on the GPD WIN Indiegogo , Final price $499 (which was BS), pre-order price $299. See what I mean. That's normal

Which one? As you pointed out, they omitted a lot of significant info, including that the price they listed is the downpayment. At least It is some additional coverage.

BTW, what is that magazine about?

The July edition of Australian Personal Computer magazine.

i only pointed out the price. the rest was left out not wrong. this is basically a section of up coming tech stuff that they think you would be interested in. It is a quick short piece so i dont blame them for not being able to cover the Pyra in detail. There is usually 5 or 6 of these pieces on a two page spread.

i only pointed out the price. the rest was left out not wrong. this is basically a section of up coming tech stuff that they think you would be interested in. It is a quick short piece so i dont blame them for not being able to cover the Pyra in detail. There is usually 5 or 6 of these pieces on a two page spread.

Shit , I used to read that magazine when I was a kid when it launched,. Lets see when that was. Oh, ok, nothing to see here, move on :$

If leaving things out isn't wrong then the price wasn't wrong, and that was my point (only flipped around). They got part of the price correct, just like they got part of the features and specs correct. They did leave out (at least) a space and a word, though, so maybe they like doing this sort of thing for their readers.

Back