Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

It's not very good, but it's the best we've got right now AFAIK.
You're free to try and point me to a better system.
Anything SysVinit-based is better (some may have downsides, but not outweighed by systemd's downsides).
I personally prefer OpenRC.

The only downside I know of is that it consumes more power. I didn't see the need for it, so put my money towards a 2GB EU unit, but if you're happy with slightly reduced battery life feel free to go for a 4GB unit.
I highly doubt the battery life reduction will be measurable.
The N900 lasts a few hours of usage, but weeks idle with (more than) the RAM powered.

I too prefer OpenRC. But if the Pyra comes with systemd, I am not going to break the OS trying to force OpenRC in.
There are still only a handful of things that really require systemd; usually via needing logind/libpam-systemd integration. Even then, you can usually just have them installed and run sysvinit instead. As long as you do have sysvinit-core installed and do not have systemd-sysv installed, you will get what you are hoping for. That's the case in Debian Testing today, anyway.

If you have no need for the big desktops or printing, you will probably be able to avoid even installing systemd, policykit or consolekit just fine.

What was the count at 5:55?
When I posted it was 12:15 PM DST CET and the preorder count was still 555. I guess that was already past 5:55 EST. ? Must be, if EST is not something like UTC +- \d?\d\.5 h. I'm too lazy to look it up, can you imagine. :)

I believe it's called the GPD WIN.

Joke. That's a joke. The WIN doesn't have backlit keys or 4G, so it's not much of an upgrade from the Pandora IMO.
It has Windows, so it is actually a downgrade. :p

I think the Win is a good choice for some people, and I totally understand why some people would prefer it. The Pyra features many things I want, I appreciate ED and the community, and I like that I know it is trying to be more socially and environmentally responsible. Basically, it is all win for me (pun intended).

I preordered the 4GB U.S. model.
Nice. That is the one I am going for (broke atm). I really hope we get them, somehow.

I totally agree. I should have said "for me" instead of "IMO".
Maybe. On the other hand, many other things are also a downgrade from the Pandora. The battery, the controls, keyboard, and touchscreen all seem like they are inferior to me. Input and portability are the main reasons for devices of this sort, even if you are ok with whatever OS (and all the other little things). As ED mentioned in the interview the other day, most people get caught up on specs and price. If that is all that matters a gaming palmtop is probably the wrong choice for that person.

Back