Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Do we have a target batch size? Or are we just waiting for the pre-orders to basically flatline?
There are a few targets. As we meet each one, they'll make that many more units. If I understand it correctly, when we hit 500 orders that was enough for an initial batch of 750 units. 750 orders will allow an initial batch of 1000 units. There are currently 598 orders, and this page has a running tally: http://p.rdw.se/pyra-preorder.html

No, it was just 300. Leonidas specifically enlisted 300 of Sparta's finest warriors in the movie.

I didn't waste my life watching that movie 8 times. Not at all.
I checked on it a little while ago and got more accurate info (then promptly forgot most of it). The actual defensive forces were in the thousands. When it was learned that they would be flanked he had the majority of them retreat, with and additional 400 from another group and 700 from yet another stay with the 300 to hold the attacking force. They were vastly outnumbered even at full strength, with the numbers being probably around 100 to 1 after the retreat of the main force. If only they had Wolverine on their side things would have been different.

Do we have a target batch size? Or are we just waiting for the pre-orders to basically flatline?
ED is probably watching how things go. I think he wanted to get 1800 so he could avoid future preorders. I don't want to speak for him, so I don't know what his plans are. He said that if we hit 750 preorders the first batch size can be 1000.

I checked on it a little while ago and got more accurate info (then promptly forgot most of it). The actual defensive forces were in the thousands. When it was learned that they would be flanked he had the majority of them retreat, with and additional 400 from another group and 700 from yet another stay with the 300 to hold the attacking force. They were vastly outnumbered even at full strength, with the numbers being probably around 100 to 1 after the retreat of the main force.

I highly doubted Zach Snyder cared much about the historical facts behind the battle. It would have made for a better story of bravery, staying behind to defend your fleeing comrades, but I suppose he wanted to glorify Sparta. Eh.

If only they had Wolverine on their side things would have been different.

Wolverine would need to cop Dr. Doom's time-traveling technology or something, considering he's Canadian.

I highly doubted Zach Snyder cared much about the historical facts behind the battle. It would have made for a better story of bravery, staying behind to defend your fleeing comrades, but I suppose he wanted to glorify Sparta. Eh.
I thought the original to follow was a comic book, not history?

Preordered my 4 gb standard edition!
It' s time to replace my GPH Wiz!
I ve tried GPD consoles.... Bleah too chinese!!!

Tbh, I had no idea a 300 comic existed.
Yet you saw it 8 times? It even looks like a comic. :p
Many unexpected movies are based on comics. To name a few, almost all superhero movies (including the Ninja Turtles ones, whether they are superheroes or not), Sin City, V for Vendetta, From Hell, Tank Girl, all of these, and these.

I need to look through those lists and see if there are many recent films that are not either based on comics or remakes of other things. I didn't know RED was based on comics.

In Germany, the Turtles are named "Hero Turtles" instead of "Ninja Turtles", because Ninja sounds too brutal for our german childs..
This is Pyra !!!

Well, the movie stays relatively faithful to its source material, which even as a work of fiction isn't historically accurate,.

Tbh, I had no idea a 300 comic existed.
The Honest Trailers for 300 started with "a film based on a graphic novel based on an older film based on ancient Greek propaganda based on a true story".

I´d keep the campaign running for another 2 or 3 weeks while pushing press kits and attempting contacts with news outlets.
I had a feeling that Pyra is not targeted to sell millions day one but a few everyday as people get to know it.

I still think 1.5k is possible but it seems troublesome to get new users on a pre-order outside the standard crowd funding schemes.
I mean, it is fine with people that we know but to a complete stranger, I´d understand why one would hold back till it is ready.

So I guess 1 week of news work and a couple to let it flow a bit while more work is undergoing Pyra should be nice.

I don´t have much access to spread the word but a few international forums I dwell as well as a few TI professors at computer science and tech schools that could push the knowledge to students.
I doubt I can wreck much sales since Brazil is a total money mess these days and the final price for the Pyra gets a x2 tax around here. But none the less, I think it is important to spread the word.
I think right now it is important to get people to know the project, even if they are not immediately buying one.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we reach half of that amount.
I could be wrong about the number. I thought it was a number that he had in mind so the Pyra, as a project, could stand on its own financially (no more preorders, just make em, sell em, then make more with the money from sales when the stock gets low).

I guess its technically possible to still run a kickstarter for a second batch of pyras. We should hit the needed 750 with this batch. It might be worth considering?

I will be pleasantly surprised if we reach half of that amount.

I guess its technically possible to still run a kickstarter for a second batch of pyras. We should hit the needed 750 with this batch. It might be worth considering?

Wow - as far as I can tell the press kits haven't even been sent out. That is a lot of doom and gloom for a project that hardly anyone not directly involved in has even heard of.

The basic numbers for a single production run exist already. As far as I can tell, that means it is going to happen. The rest of the world is now welcome to join in - they are simply not informed yet.

Preordered my 4 gb standard edition!
It' s time to replace my GPH Wiz!
Awesome! Although I misread 'GPH Wiz' as 'GPD Win' at first, which was a little o_O!

@matzezu They were released as the TMHT in the UK too, but everyone talked about them as the TMNT. Reading up about it on wikipedia suggests it was Maggie Thatcher in the UK who made it get rebranded, then the other European territories sublicensed it from the UK. Only Italy kept the original name.

Wow - as far as I can tell the press kits haven't even been sent out. That is a lot of doom and gloom for a project that hardly anyone not directly involved in has even heard of.

The basic numbers for a single production run exist already. As far as I can tell, that means it is going to happen. The rest of the world is now welcome to join in - they are simply not informed yet.
Oh I quite agree, the pyra will get many more orders. I'm confident of that. If ed did want a bigger marketing push for a later batch, post the first 1,500 or so sold then he could still consider it.

It all depends a bit on why people are not ordering yet.
  • They would if they knew about it. This is an issue which can be solved with the press kit and by attending events with prototypes.
  • They doubt it will be delivered at all. This is resolved by getting a first batch on to the market.
  • They are skeptical about its capabilities. This can be resolved with software demos and promotional videos. Though truthfully it will be lacking at first (and like the Pandora become more and more awesome over time)
  • They want an ATOM. Here the "existence" of the GPD win hurts a bit. Can be resolved with a board replacement in the future.
  • It is too expensive. In the short term, price reduction seems unreasonable. This may be addressed by information instead but also may not be.
    How so? The Pyra does many things which are commonly split over multiple devices. The more things you intend to do with it, the "cheaper" it becomes (relatively speaking). E.g. the Pyra can also function as a media player, but if that is all you are looking for then it is a *very* costly choice of media player.
I am sure there are more reasons than listed here. Point is, we can somewhat increase the size of the first batch with advertising, but we should not delay too long as bringing it to market is very important as well to increase credibility. As for the proper cut-off point? Well, that's for EvilDragon to decide. Personally I feel that getting to 750 may be doable, but I am skeptical about getting to 1000 for the first batch.

I'm not sure of the value of advertising at this point in time. Many potential purchasers will want to see full working versions and have answers to questions (eg memory and telecom service in the US etc.).

There are still concerns about the Pandora and ICP2 fiascos - people are wary of all the failed KickStarters etc. etc. etc. Until units start appearing in people's hands and software start to show how good the machine is, that's when the real push needs to be done. At the moment us pre-orderers are just test monkeys/guinea-pigs for this new and strange device that nobody trusts/knows about. Once bugs are identified and ironed out and the machine is starting to shine, that's when the larger market will appear to be interested - and that's when we really need to push. Let's face it, ED has never really needed to advertise to us - we'd buy pretty much whatever he has to offer; he's done such a good job with fixing the Pandora stuff that we all totally trust him.

Until then, they'll continue using emulators on their (cheaper) phones, because as you know they are more powerful and that automagically equates to betterer(tm).

Back