Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Don't worry, the power management is so unbelievably broken on the OMAP5, standby power consumption due to RAM usage won't be noticable for a while.

It would be nice if it could make it through the day on a single charge. I guess I will be using my spare Pandora battery for a little while.

RAM power consumption is proportional to it's size.
And still heavily depends on the internal structure and other properties. It's a really bad idea to attempt a direct comparison with the N900, the RAM chips alone have a difference of years of development and invention. For example, 4 years ago Micron introduced DDR3L chips with a more power saving self-refresh mode - an 8x4Gbit DIMM with those chips only takes 30mA @ 1.35V in standby (that's about 1Wh per 24h), newer revisions surely do better than that.

Don't worry, there's enough leakage elsewhere that makes your calculations invalid, even in standby the RAM chips are really not the only things nibbling on the battery.

Last edited:
It would be nice if it could make it through the day on a single charge. I guess I will be using my spare Pandora battery for a little while.
didn't EvilDragon post he got 11 hours of use out of it in a recent tweet?, Although that could just be "Running" and not on battery...

Well, my Pandora also shows a lot of signs of wear, but its works still well..
But the Pyra should be much toughter,
Gunproof acording to the Greece Manufaktorer..
So if Pandora survived the Yeahrs in my Ownership, than the Pyra also should be quite old..

817ad49c34cced5f09a501cac6e2c313.jpg

A few more scratches and it's a "used-look", which will definitely become a thing in electronics in the years to come as well as it became in clothing, trust me on this.
Soon people will be extremely bored by all those shiny black boxes and black rectangels and then several layers of paint where the top most one is scratched down will be hip.

Well at least i ditnt care how my Pandora looks, as long it plays Tetris :)

Pyra will be made from collored Plastic Pellets, so it want have a Collor which can be weard off
This shouldnt be a Problem on it..
But i will take Care a bit more..

didn't EvilDragon post he got 11 hours of use out of it in a recent tweet?, Although that could just be "Running" and not on battery...
Even if he got 11 hours of battery time, I would have long periods with the 4G on. When I play games on my Android devices I go through the battery pretty quick, even if it isn't fair or accurate to compare the two. I would prefer a little more wiggle room than 11 hours. Maybe I should take both Pandora batteries.

A few more scratches and it's a "used-look", which will definitely become a thing in electronics in the years to come as well as it became in clothing, trust me on this.
I thought it already was. I have seen some Mother themed things that already sell with the look you described.

Generally I prefer a worn but reliable item that is built to last over a flashy new item that is designed to be thrown away and replaced. I have many things like this, and I appreciate the history and individually of that item. This is more of a general thing, although I can think of several computers and other electronic devices where I feel the same way. I considered retrobright for a couple of them, but changed my mind for many reasons, one being that I don't mind things showing their age. They earned it (although maybe you don't mind it when the look matches the history). I also don't dye my hair to hide the "greys" (pure white) that I have had at least since I was 20.

Well at least i ditnt care how my Pandora looks, as long it plays Tetris :)

Pyra will be made from collored Plastic Pellets, so it want have a Collor which can be weard off
This shouldnt be a Problem on it..
But i will take Care a bit more..
Plastic shows wear, too. I have a couple Game Boys that have been heavily used, and you can tell. Some are shiny and nearly smooth around the controls and edges. They can still play Tetris. :D

Soon people will be extremely bored by all those shiny black boxes and black rectangels and then several layers of paint where the top most one is scratched down will be hip.

I hope so...I will probably have hardware worth diamonds then...
LYNX.jpg

edit: one more thing...the game controls in this beast are the kind to last forever...really great ones and it has been taking punches for more than 20 years...doesn´t look like it is even close to fail.

Mine started falling out when I was 25.
There was a guy I was working with at the time that seemed extremely unhappy with his rapidly receding hairline. He was a couple years older than me. There is nothing wrong with grey hair or being bald, so people shouldn't be ashamed of it, yet many are. If I ever lose mine I hope it all goes away on top so I can look this good
latest

I wanted to post so many pictures, be glad I limited myself to one. You could be looking at a nearly naked Picard instead.

There was a guy I was working with at the time that seemed extremely unhappy with his rapidly receding hairline. He was a couple years older than me. There is nothing wrong with grey hair or being bald, so people shouldn't be ashamed of it, yet many are. If I ever lose mine I hope it all goes away on top so I can look this good
latest

I wanted to post so many pictures, be glad I limited myself to one. You could be looking at a nearly naked Picard instead.
sexy-picard.jpg

Don't worry, the power management is so unbelievably broken on the OMAP5, standby power consumption due to RAM usage won't be noticable for a while.
There is no need for the power management to be optimized when the CPU is in sleep mode, I don't think it is managing anything when it's sleeping. I don't think Pyra will be released without a sleep mode.

And still heavily depends on the internal structure and other properties. It's a really bad idea to attempt a direct comparison with the N900, the RAM chips alone have a difference of years of development and invention. For example, 4 years ago Micron introduced DDR3L chips with a more power saving self-refresh mode - an 8x4Gbit DIMM with those chips only takes 30mA @ 1.35V in standby (that's about 1Wh per 24h), newer revisions surely do better than that.

Don't worry, there's enough leakage elsewhere that makes your calculations invalid, even in standby the RAM chips are really not the only things nibbling on the battery.
I ain't worried and my calculations are valid, I said "So assuming that _wb_'s post is right (RAM power consumption is proportional to his size + the percentage of power used by RAM in idle mode is 50%)."

You should read closer, the post I linked doesn't talk about N900, my calculation aren't based on N900, plus it is only half a year old.
You seems to know that _wb_'s statement isn't true. What experiment did you do which prove that? What article did you read? Or maybe you know where he came from with it so that your are able to invalidate it?

Last edited:
Honestly I think the battery life will be awesome just like the pandora. Might the extra ram. 4g etc lessen the battery, perhaps, but probably to a negligible degree.
Anything above 7 to 8 hrs on a single charge is super imo.

The 12th 24 hours of pre-orders is now up.

It seems we got :

350 Pre-orders the first 24 hours (350)
79 Pre-orders in the second 24 hours. (429)
49 Pre-orders in the third 24 hours (478) (Some double up Pre-orders were removed though)
29 Pre-orders in the fourth 24 hours (507)
18 Pre-orders in the fifth 24 hours (525)
26 Pre-orders in the sixth 24 hours (551)
12 Pre-orders in the seventh 24 hours (563)
10 Pre-orders in the eight 24 hours (573)
17 Pre-orders in the ninth 24 hours (590)
11 Pre-orders in the tenth 24 hours (601)
9 Pre-orders in the eleventh 24 hours (610) - Note , the number would have been higher, however a number of duplicate orders were removed.
11 Pre-orders in the 12th 24 hours (621)

Note: Daily figures also include converted Pre Pre-orders. As such , actual new pre-orders would be a little less than quoted figures.

Back