Preorders Have Started. (Previously named starts in two hours)

Good products sell themselves :)

I agree, you just need to reach the people that might be interested. There is a thread on the maemo boards that are talking about the GPD Win and Pyra. A lot of members there are tech savvy and like to play around with Linux - some of them already pre-ordered after the info was shared.

it may be the first Debian linux handheld, but not the first Debian linux computer (like BBB).

reminds me of a song. it's the tallest widest and most famous haunted mansion in new jersey...

e.g. the Pyra is the first Debian Linux open hardware modular handheld gaming device... from Germany.

The BeagleBone Black rev C had Debian. Although it IS a computer and may have shipped with Debian on it, it isn't exactly complete or self-contained. It isn't exactly consumer oriented, has no display, no keyboard, no case - all of which are expected to be supplied by the end user.

That would make the Pyra the, "First fully functioning consumer ready device with built in display to ship with Debian." Right?

This is not how Germans do things. Which is why the Made in Germany label has meaning.
Actually, many of the old German companies do it like this by now indeed although they are always disclosing the real country of origin at some point and it's not expressively written "made in Germany" on it, so at least their mostly honest about it.
"Schimmel" Pianos sells rebranded and recalibrated stuff from Asia as their "low" budget line.
Well known companies for high quality tools and machines like "Scheppach" amongst many others have outsourced their production to Asia as well and so did many companies from Swiss and Scandinavia too like all the others as well.

It's actually often hard to find something that is really made in Germany outside of first class musical instruments of all kinds for example, so the Pyra is kind of retro in this regard in a very good way.

I agree, you just need to reach the people that might be interested. There is a thread on the maemo boards that are talking about the GPD Win and Pyra. A lot of members there are tech savvy and like to play around with Linux - some of them already pre-ordered after the info was shared.

I originally came here from there... then I bought 2 Pandoras, and now a Pyra and likely another one in a few months

Here in flurg there is quite a lot of "made in Germany", but thats probably because we get all of it, as opposed to just a finer selection for the most wealthy.

The cross-section between I don't want to get spied upon and I don't want to support slave labour, isn't all that wide these days.

As a flurg, if i see "scandinavian design" and it isn't made in flurg, I walk away.

This is not how Germans do things. Which is why the Made in Germany label has meaning.

I'm wondering, wouldn't it be interesting to see "Made in the EU" since the 2 manufacturing countries are EU member states? Of course that leaves out the CPU that originates from the USA.

The CPU might have been fabricated in a plant in the USA, but key parts of the design came from a British company - ARM. Not all British companies are dodgy two bit operations like one famous one about these parts ;)

The CPU might have been fabricated in a plant in the USA, but key parts of the design came from a British company - ARM. Not all British companies are dodgy two bit operations like one famous one about these parts ;)

shots fired. For good reasons.

So, barring the CPU and keymat, practically 90% of what goes into the Pyra has been made/designed in the EU?

Leaving out an American made part, on equal terms with one made in China, because it isn't made "in the EU" makes no sense at any point.

The point isn't to convey as much information in as few words as possible, its about communicating something meaningful.

Edit: Not meaningful to the motive behind "Designed in California".

Meaningful in the sense that workers actually get paid, from the money you spend purchasing the device, as opposed to get nothing, and some greedy evil took it all, because those are the two options you get.

Which is why I sure hope the Chinese keymat makers are both skilled and get paid accordingly.

Last edited:
The SoC was most likely fabricated at TSMC in Taiwan for Ti, not to mention all the other chips, components and such are not European made. Could easily say designed and assembled in Europe.

@comradekingu
PyraTargetAudience.png

That is a really clever way of putting it.
There is a whole blob needed for "non-spying hardware".
Also I think pyra is centre alone. 2/3or4 is target audience too.

Edit: 2/3or4 of the blobs alone doesn't leave much choice either when I think about it…

Edit2: The completely overlapping one was not the way to go.
fourwayvenn.png

The idea was to start with nice hardware, add nice software, then make it under good working conditions, and make a great community around it.

Last edited:
I reckon your pink circle should be bigger; a good few people used their Pandora for productivity apps or music. Mine these days spends 90% of the time rendering music for me to listen to when I'm on the move.

Sorry, I am not feeling the venn diagram. It feel too negative for me.

The Pyra can sell itself based on its own merits rather than bashing flaws or perceived flaws of the competition.

Back